LTH Home

Diner's Journal - west suburbs

Diner's Journal - west suburbs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 9
  • Post #181 - February 4th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    Post #181 - February 4th, 2018, 10:53 pm Post #181 - February 4th, 2018, 10:53 pm
    Hi,

I had hoped to visit Abby's Breakfast and Lunch in St. Charles, but learned it closed in October.

I am picking up a friend in St. Charles for a leisurely nice breakfast. I was hoping for a Walker Brothers type place with great breakfasts and heavy cream for the coffee.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #182 - May 7th, 2018, 6:28 pm
    Post #182 - May 7th, 2018, 6:28 pm Post #182 - May 7th, 2018, 6:28 pm
    My kid loves trains. As a kid, my grandma used to take us (and my mother when she was a kid) to the long gone Snackville Junction in Evergreen Park, which we loved. So I wondered if there was a modern day version of a diner serving burgers by toy train. Enter 2 Toots Train Whistle Grill in Glen Ellyn.

The place does the schtick right and my kiddo is appropriately over-stimulated by the continually whizzing trains. What I did not expect was a lacy-rimmed smash burger with minimal accoutrements. Like Schoop's-level ethereal and almost as good. The kicker is that they use Tallgrass beef, which somehow they manage to keep nice n greezy while presenting uber beefy. WAY better than it has to be. This place keeps kids and parents happy alike. Now if they only served dum dums at the end of the meal...

IMG_1378.JPG

2Toots Train Whistle Grill
    450 N Main St, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
  • Post #183 - May 8th, 2018, 10:45 am
    Post #183 - May 8th, 2018, 10:45 am Post #183 - May 8th, 2018, 10:45 am
    Wow, I feel a little older right now - I remember at least 2 previous iterations of Snackville Junction that were located in Beverly when I was a kid. I used to take my kids to the EP location - always a hit.
  • Post #184 - August 6th, 2018, 2:28 pm
    Post #184 - August 6th, 2018, 2:28 pm Post #184 - August 6th, 2018, 2:28 pm
    Had a business lunch at the Grandstander in St Charles, this restaurant/pub used to be located in the Geneva downtown but have been in St Charles downtown for past 3 months.

All had the Cuban which isn't quite a traditional Cuban like one would find in S Florida but darn tasty. What also caught our eyes was the "thick sliced pastrami". We asked about it and turns out it is homemade on premise, so we asked if they could share a small slice with us, which the restaurant gladly obliged. Holy cow was it tender and smokey, not a lot of spicing but that may have just been the piece we received. I definitely will be back for a pastrami sandwich at some point.

The Grandstander
    11 N. 3rd Street
    St. Charles, IL 60174
    (630) 377-0797
    http://grandstanderbar.com
    -
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #185 - August 8th, 2018, 6:43 pm
    Post #185 - August 8th, 2018, 6:43 pm Post #185 - August 8th, 2018, 6:43 pm
    Took some work colleagues to the Sharko's location on Freedom Road. I was a bit nervous, since two of the guys in town live in the San Antonio-area and have had their share of fine TX barbeque.

We were all really impressed with the "sliced" brisket. I slathered it with the spicy Memphis-style sauce (not sure why they don't have a "texas"-style sauce). The "signature" spinach casserole side was a nice addition. My colleagues from texas also raved about the brisket. One went so far to note that he hadn't had a brisket so tender and not-grissly in Texas in a long time. I can't comment on consistency, but it seems worth trying!

On the other hand, the less said about the hot link, the better. It was barely warm and didn't offer much in terms of texture, spice, or flavor. You win some, you lose some.

Sharko's BBQ
    1715 Freedom Drive, Naperville, IL 60563
  • Post #186 - August 9th, 2018, 7:11 am
    Post #186 - August 9th, 2018, 7:11 am Post #186 - August 9th, 2018, 7:11 am
    Recently tried the newly-opened Vai's, at the corner of Rte 59 and Ogden Avenue. They have a wood-fired oven, and they use it in a lot of the preparations.

We tried some small plates: burrata with wood grilled grapes. So good. The grapes tasted slightly savory rather than sweet as a result of the wood grilling, and the tomato jam added just the right tart/sweetness. Arancini was good -- crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside. The gnocchi was charred on the outside, but creamy and light inside.

The meatball pizza had a nice char on the crust from the wood oven and the toppings were tasty. I love a meatball pizza, although this was less sliced meatballs (my preference) that crumbled meatballs.

We had vodka cavatelli -- big (too big, really) shower of crispy proscuitto in a surprisingly spicy vodka sauce.

The filet medallions were also done in the wood oven, and were super tender (literally used a bread knife to cut), beefy, and juicy.

A big miss for me was the Italian doughnuts, although I wasn't hungry after all the other food. I was hoping for light zeppole, but got under-fried bits of pizza dough instead.

The room is loud. They also have a very pleasant patio. It was packed. I hope this restaurant makes it in this cursed location. The food was really good, reasonably priced, and we need a nice non-chain restaurant in this strip. Also a nice place to have a drink and a nosh.
  • Post #187 - August 28th, 2018, 7:10 am
    Post #187 - August 28th, 2018, 7:10 am Post #187 - August 28th, 2018, 7:10 am
    It had been quite a while since my last visit, but Franco's is still getting it done. Family who runs the place is so friendly. 2 hot dogs, fries and a drink for about $8. Dogs were dressed perfectly.

2018-08-28 08_06_37-Photo - Google Photos.png Franco's
  • Post #188 - August 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm
    Post #188 - August 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm Post #188 - August 28th, 2018, 1:30 pm
    tcdup wrote:Recently tried the newly-opened Vai's, at the corner of Rte 59 and Ogden Avenue. They have a wood-fired oven, and they use it in a lot of the preparations.

We tried some small plates: burrata with wood grilled grapes. So good. The grapes tasted slightly savory rather than sweet as a result of the wood grilling, and the tomato jam added just the right tart/sweetness. Arancini was good -- crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside. The gnocchi was charred on the outside, but creamy and light inside.

The meatball pizza had a nice char on the crust from the wood oven and the toppings were tasty. I love a meatball pizza, although this was less sliced meatballs (my preference) that crumbled meatballs.

We had vodka cavatelli -- big (too big, really) shower of crispy proscuitto in a surprisingly spicy vodka sauce.

The filet medallions were also done in the wood oven, and were super tender (literally used a bread knife to cut), beefy, and juicy.

A big miss for me was the Italian doughnuts, although I wasn't hungry after all the other food. I was hoping for light zeppole, but got under-fried bits of pizza dough instead.

The room is loud. They also have a very pleasant patio. It was packed. I hope this restaurant makes it in this cursed location. The food was really good, reasonably priced, and we need a nice non-chain restaurant in this strip. Also a nice place to have a drink and a nosh.

We had a great meal there too a couple weeks ago and plan to go back soon. The same folks who own Fire and Wine in Glen Ellyn, as well as Gia Mia in Wheaton are running it, and I think they have a winning formula...good food, good beer, good wine list.
  • Post #189 - September 11th, 2018, 11:31 pm
    Post #189 - September 11th, 2018, 11:31 pm Post #189 - September 11th, 2018, 11:31 pm
    Swung by the newish Haveli Cuisine on Ogden - near a snack-favorite of mine (Philly Pretzel Factory).

Asked the host/owner(?) for a rec, he suggested the Butter Chicken. It was quite good. Decent heat, good flavors. The naan was quite
    tasty. I'll go back soon to try out the vegetarian side of the menu.

1021 West Ogden Avenue, Naperville, Illinois 60563

MVIMG_20180906_122257.jpg Butter Chicken
  • Post #190 - September 13th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Post #190 - September 13th, 2018, 2:56 pm Post #190 - September 13th, 2018, 2:56 pm
    Crate & Barrel to open restaurant in Oakbrook Center store in spring 2019

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... l#nws=true
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #191 - January 4th, 2019, 9:12 pm
    Post #191 - January 4th, 2019, 9:12 pm Post #191 - January 4th, 2019, 9:12 pm
    Jefe wrote:
    toria wrote:Another "secret" place is Danada Deli on Butterfield Road in Wheaton. Its owned by Hungarians from Transylvania, and the man cooking was trained in Europe. Their soups are superb and I am not a soup lover. In particular I will mention my favorites, split pea soup, bean soup, and cabbage soup, also pasta fazool. They have others. Their meals are good too such as the stuffed peppers and the stuffed cabbage rolls which are like no other I've had. No tomato sauce in them but so much flavor.

Now this sounds interesting. I was just over that way and wish I'd seen this earlier, I would have stopped in for lunch.

Relocated to:

Danada Deli
    1801 E Roosevelt Road
    Wheaton, Illinois 60187
    (630) 871-8787
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #192 - January 5th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Post #192 - January 5th, 2019, 10:59 am Post #192 - January 5th, 2019, 10:59 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Jefe wrote:
    toria wrote:Another "secret" place is Danada Deli on Butterfield Road in Wheaton. Its owned by Hungarians from Transylvania, and the man cooking was trained in Europe. Their soups are superb and I am not a soup lover. In particular I will mention my favorites, split pea soup, bean soup, and cabbage soup, also pasta fazool. They have others. Their meals are good too such as the stuffed peppers and the stuffed cabbage rolls which are like no other I've had. No tomato sauce in them but so much flavor.

Now this sounds interesting. I was just over that way and wish I'd seen this earlier, I would have stopped in for lunch.

Relocated to:

Danada Deli
    1801 E Roosevelt Road
    Wheaton, Illinois 60187
    (630) 871-8787

I noticed this, now even closer to where we live.

I stopped by the old location last year and unfortunately was very underwhelmed– sandwiches made with industrial grade lunchmeat and the soup was chock full of frozen veg medley. Nice folks though.

While you've got my attention on this thread, I should post about the pleasant new addition to our small town dining scene– Berger Bros. in downtown Winfield revived/rebranded the faltering Union House maybe a year ago and some change.

It was good timing for us, since we were regulars at John's Buffet which closed after nearly 100 years last December (and since, so sadly, bulldozed.) Berger Bros. offers nearly as stacked of a draft list with rotating, fresh local brews. And they spiffed up the patio for breezy summer evening drinks and nibblies (will be very hard for anyone to compete with John's florally decked pergola though.)

The food is, characteristic to the outer burbs, about 15 years late on city trends– ahi tuna this, balsamic reduction that, gargantuan "small plates", off season Brussels sprouts, flat breads. But the kitchen puts in serious effort here, sourcing fresh ingredients, a notch or two above your average bar & grill. And the chef (and evidently well trained kitchen staff) have legit chops. Your burger will be served spot on your preferred doneness.

Prices also reflect the elevated quality of the food. So on a weeknight visit we stick to sandwiches, which are the least cheffed up offerings. Burgers are fantastic. Yes they do offer a Kumasian line up of over dressed offerings topped with pulled pork and the like. "The American" is right up my alley simply topped with extra gooey cheese food and caramelized onions. The bun is nicely crisped up on the flat top and the meat is very well seasoned. Its on par with my favorite burgs in the city, probably in my top five. The pot roast sandwich is a glorious gut bomb of beefy delight. And their grilled cheeses, served with a gimmicky schooner glass of thick tomato soup are very well managed. Rounded out with crispy hand cut fries, and you could do a lot worse for a sleepy town 30 miles west of the city!

Berger Bros. Pub
    0S050 Winfield Rd, Winfield, IL 60190
    (630) 480-2152
    https://www.bergerbrospub.com/
  • Post #193 - January 5th, 2019, 12:16 pm
    Post #193 - January 5th, 2019, 12:16 pm Post #193 - January 5th, 2019, 12:16 pm
    Hi,

I've only gone twice, though I aimed at their daily specials of stuffed cabbage rolls (fresh cabbage version as well as a fermented leaves variant) and their Eastern European pastries. I bought some mushroom soup to take out for a friend and never tried it. It certainly looked made on the premises.

Like a lot of places, there is food for 80% of the population who might like what you reject. 'We' seek out the food they love to make, but not necessarily desired by their bread-and-butter audience.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #194 - April 18th, 2019, 6:30 am
    Post #194 - April 18th, 2019, 6:30 am Post #194 - April 18th, 2019, 6:30 am
    Stopped in at Taps N Tenders in south Naperville yesterday. The combo of 4 chicken tenders and fresh-cut fries was spot on. The chicken tenders were incredibly juicy and tender with a light, slightly spicy breading. The fries were crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, not greasy. Just right. The combo with a pint of domestic beer came to less than $9. The menu includes burgers, flatbreads, and grilled cheese.

The room is sleek, with multiple large screen TVs. Several craft beers available. Nice place for a casual meal and a beer.

Taps N Tenders
    3320 Il-59 (in the strip mall south of 95th)
    Naperville
    630-961-8277
  • Post #195 - June 10th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Post #195 - June 10th, 2019, 9:04 am Post #195 - June 10th, 2019, 9:04 am
    Came across a new fine dining establishment in East Dundee that I think warrants getting the word out. It's called Migrate, and is in a new building very close to the Fox River that also houses a brewery next door. The chef is of Lebanese descent, so there are some flavors that you may not normally find at "new American" style restaurants (ie., the use of zaatar, etc.). Being as East Dundee is sort of known as a bar town, it's a pleasant surprise to have landed in the area. Don't have any pics to share, but can highly recommend the watermelon salad as well as the salmon. (And no, I am not affiliated with them at all, just live nearby and am excited to have something that would not be out of place in Geneva or La Grange in this neck of the woods, which unfortunately has become inundated with middle of the road bar and grill-type places).

Migrate Restaurant
    311 Barrington Ave Suite C
    East Dundee, IL 60118
    (Just off the Fox River trail bike path)

http://migraterestaurant.com/
  • Post #196 - June 10th, 2019, 10:14 am
    Post #196 - June 10th, 2019, 10:14 am Post #196 - June 10th, 2019, 10:14 am
    cgs027 wrote:Came across a new fine dining establishment in East Dundee that I think warrants getting the word out.

First appearance in town of ramps that aren't of the highway variety! :lol:
  • Post #197 - February 28th, 2020, 10:57 am
    Post #197 - February 28th, 2020, 10:57 am Post #197 - February 28th, 2020, 10:57 am
    bobbywal wrote:It had been quite a while since my last visit, but Franco's is still getting it done. Family who runs the place is so friendly. 2 hot dogs, fries and a drink for about $8. Dogs were dressed perfectly.

2018-08-28 08_06_37-Photo - Google Photos.png

Franco's closed :(
    I know I should post it here, the Italian Beef thread and Openings and Closings...
  • Post #198 - February 29th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Post #198 - February 29th, 2020, 9:39 am Post #198 - February 29th, 2020, 9:39 am
    With this thread back in play, I thought I'd share my list of solid to excellent spots west of 355:

Downer’s Grove
    Mojo’s East Coast Eats (okay, just East of 355) Philly roast pork is my order. Good skinny hand cut fries.

Lisle
    Apolis Greek Street Food– dig the crispy pork gyros, don't love the Chipotlean format. More great hand cut fries.

Glen Ellyn
    A Toda Madre– we usually hit Bien Trucha, but similar menu.
    2Toots– kid’s burger joint with toy trains that deliver food. They make a really good lacy edged smash burger with Tallgrass beef though!

Naperville
    Allegory- new-ish spot in old Heaven on Seven space. Going for city upscale pub vibe, which is working. Have only been once, but loved the chilaquiles.
    Gujju’s Chaat House- h/t JimTheBeerGuy for the intro to their vada pav, fried potato cutlet sliders popping with spice. Introducing me to the wide world of chaat!
    JK Kabab– solid Pakistani BBQ, there's one on Devon as well. Can't beat their lunch specials.
    Minghin Cuisine– I think it's the most elegant dining room of the empire.
    Naf Naf– still dig it.
    SanguCHE– Peruvian sandwiches. Kinda dig the chaufa & salchipapas sides the most. Again with the amazing hand cut fries in the area.
    Schmaltz– I'm not really a deli aficionado, but the pastrami is good. Sandwiches seem a little under-stuffed.

Wheaton
    Pa Lian– all the love for Illinois' only Burmese here.

Carol Stream
    Hong Ning– Filipino that brings a bit more funk than any I've had in the city.

Winfield
    Berger Bros.– not destination-worthy, dated "small plates" bar food, but very good option in walking distance. Burger is great if the right cook is in back.
    Gnarly Knots– better-than-they-have-to-be take out soft pretzels stuffed with unorthodox fillings (the Italian beef is good!)

Warrenville
    Al’s Pizza– my favorite tavern style pizza anywhere, too bad new management is not friendly.
    Masala– solid pan-Indian. Northern/Pakistani better than Southern though.

West Chicago
    Cocina de Maria– CDMX style antojitos. The Schmidt family is the best.
    Kindred Coffee Roasters– next door to Maria's, run by another expceptionally sweet family who are my close friends. Though I'm not a coffee drinker, they clearly make a product unrivaled in quality for the area. Good paninis + super legit house made bagels on Wed. & Sat.
    Las Tias– very good birrieria with a tight menu of comida Jalisciense including tortas ahogadas & birria tacos dorados.
    Quebrada– brand new branch from owner of the Aurora outpost. I ate here last night and the cecina tacos were much fresher than anything I've had in Cicero lately. Great tortillas hecho a mano.

Geneva
    Atlas Chicken Shack– solid hipster fried chicken sandwiches & tenders.
    Bien Trucha– needs no intro.

St Charles
    Beef Shack– fave IB in the area. And best hand cut fries in a zone rich in them.

Elgin
    White Pearl & Lao and Thai Spicy Noodle– two Lao owned spots with Thai heavy menus. Limited Lao options are explosively spicy & sensational at both.
  • Post #199 - February 29th, 2020, 11:41 am
    Post #199 - February 29th, 2020, 11:41 am Post #199 - February 29th, 2020, 11:41 am
    Regarding the Danada deli, not everything is to my liking there. The egg salad sandwiches are very good. I mention it because they are my favorite. The bean soup and pea soup, and especially the cream of cabbage soup are delicious. Yes they do put some frozen vegetables in them but that is no big deal to me. The stuffed cabbage rolls are really good too. I've never gotten a "lunch meat" sandwich....I can make that at home.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #200 - January 2nd, 2021, 9:38 am
    Post #200 - January 2nd, 2021, 9:38 am Post #200 - January 2nd, 2021, 9:38 am
    I need to find some new interesting things to eat if I am going to maintain some sanity during the next three months of winter stuck in western DuPage on full time stay-at-home-dad duty.

Has anyone checked out the food court at Park to Shop, the new Chinese grocery in Aurora?

There's also ever-expanding Naperville Indian options, some of which JimTheBeerGuy has explored on Sandwich Tribunal. Honest & Mumbai Café are on my list (and I need to get back to Gujju's Chaat House.)

Nick Kindelsperger gushed about the spicy chicken sandwich at a bubble tea place, Chi Tea, in Lombard.

And places I've been, but are on my list: Apolis, Invicto, Pita Inn, & Schmaltz

Anyone got any other leads?

For data's sake, a quick run-down of places we've hit up in coronatime:

Winfield
    Berger Bros., Gnarly Knots, Caliendo's, Gianorio's, Chinese Ho

Wheaton
    Pa Lian, JJ Bistro

West Chicago, Bartlett
    Cocina de Maria, Beef Shack

Naperville
    JK Kabab, SanguCHE, Minghin

Geneva
    Gia Mia, Atlas Chicken Shack, Bien Trucha
  • Post #201 - January 2nd, 2021, 11:59 am
    Post #201 - January 2nd, 2021, 11:59 am Post #201 - January 2nd, 2021, 11:59 am
    Have you tried moveable feast in wheaton? Adelle's in Wheaton? Steamboat BBQ?
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #202 - January 2nd, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Post #202 - January 2nd, 2021, 12:41 pm Post #202 - January 2nd, 2021, 12:41 pm
    toria wrote:Have you tried moveable feast in wheaton? Adelle's in Wheaton? Steamboat BBQ?

We've had Steamboat a few times. I thought the BBQ was pretty good, though last time we ate in, there was a hygiene issue my wife found unforgivable. Maybe I can convince her to try takeout.

And I will look into your other recs, thanks!
  • Post #203 - January 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm
    Post #203 - January 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm Post #203 - January 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm
    One of our all-time favorites is Luong Loi in Wheaton. The fresh spring rolls, Vietnamese pancake & egg drop soup are all amazing. The browned sauteed garlic that they top the soup with really makes it! I'm not sure how she does it without burning the garlic, but it's crispy with a wonderfully earthy & nutty flavor to it. Their entrees are good too, but we're usually so full from the apps & soup, that we don't have room for them!

http://www.luongloi.com/

We also do carryout from Yerbabuena occasionally on Tuesdays (yep, Taco Tuesday)! $2.00 beef a/o chicken tacos with a side of guac & beans lasts us 3 meals. Their salsa verde is so good & has a nice kick to it. The red sauce is also fresh & delicious!

https://yerbabuenacuisine.com/lisle-yer ... s-specials

Another one that's on our radar that so many friends/family have raved about is Avanzare on Roosevelt Road in Lombard.

http://www.avanzareitalianrestaurant.com/

LaBarra in Oak Brook (part of the LaBriola family) has a great BOGO pizza a/o pasta deal on Monday. Their pizzas are always delicious & everything else I've had there is so good.

https://www.labarraristorante.com/event ... ry-monday/

Since it looks like you go as far as Geneva, I'll throw Tusk Thai in Batavia in there as an option. We've eaten there for years & there's not one thing we haven't enjoyed!

https://www.tuskthaicuisine.com/menu-1

Agree with Pa Lian & Apolis. Apolis has a new location on Roosevelt Road in Glen Ellyn in addition to the original in Lisle.

Thanks for your list as well... will give some of them that are new to us a try!
  • Post #204 - January 2nd, 2021, 4:35 pm
    Post #204 - January 2nd, 2021, 4:35 pm Post #204 - January 2nd, 2021, 4:35 pm
    wineaux wrote:One of our all-time favorites is Luong Loi in Wheaton. The fresh spring rolls, Vietnamese pancake & egg drop soup are all amazing. The browned sauteed garlic that they top the soup with really makes it! I'm not sure how she does it without burning the garlic, but it's crispy with a wonderfully earthy & nutty flavor to it. Their entrees are good too, but we're usually so full from the apps & soup, that we don't have room for them!

http://www.luongloi.com/

We also do carryout from Yerbabuena occasionally on Tuesdays (yep, Taco Tuesday)! $2.00 beef a/o chicken tacos with a side of guac & beans lasts us 3 meals. Their salsa verde is so good & has a nice kick to it. The red sauce is also fresh & delicious!

https://yerbabuenacuisine.com/lisle-yer ... s-specials

Another one that's on our radar that so many friends/family have raved about is Avanzare on Roosevelt Road in Lombard.

http://www.avanzareitalianrestaurant.com/

LaBarra in Oak Brook (part of the LaBriola family) has a great BOGO pizza a/o pasta deal on Monday. Their pizzas are always delicious & everything else I've had there is so good.

https://www.labarraristorante.com/event ... ry-monday/

Since it looks like you go as far as Geneva, I'll throw Tusk Thai in Batavia in there as an option. We've eaten there for years & there's not one thing we haven't enjoyed!

https://www.tuskthaicuisine.com/menu-1

Agree with Pa Lian & Apolis. Apolis has a new location on Roosevelt Road in Glen Ellyn in addition to the original in Lisle.

Thanks for your list as well... will give some of them that are new to us a try!

Wow, thanks for all these recs!

I have wondered about Luong Loi. When we first moved out this way I checked out two phở spots north of Geneva near the Home Depot. I wasn't super impressed by either. Vietnamese really benefits from super fresh ingredients. Phở Thien in Naperville is the best I've found out here, though its pretty far south.

I'll check out Luong Loi. Do they package the soups well for take out?

We're all aware that certain foods take out better than others. Burmese from Pa Lian, for instance, is a cuisine that travels well, but Tawk also puts consideration into the packaging. They're my favorite restaurant in the area both pre and mid- pandemic. I'm so thrilled he's keeping the lights on.

But, sadly, take out from other favorite places just doesn't survive the drive home so well. Of the spots on my list above, we stick closest to home in Winfield most of the time. Indian can travel well – JK Kabab is our current fave. Also an enthusiastic plug for the tallow-fried, fresh cut fries piping hot from the drive through at Beef Shack. Their beef isn't so bad either (no cheese please.)

We've had LaBarra, it's great, but a little out of range.
  • Post #205 - January 3rd, 2021, 5:10 am
    Post #205 - January 3rd, 2021, 5:10 am Post #205 - January 3rd, 2021, 5:10 am
    You must go to Chesters in Summit on Archer.Definite dive bar with awesome pizza.
  • Post #206 - January 4th, 2021, 5:45 am
    Post #206 - January 4th, 2021, 5:45 am Post #206 - January 4th, 2021, 5:45 am
    Being in Kendall, it's a tad farther than most might want to try, but two places in Oswego are worth mentioning.

Pho Son - Small, family owned place.

https://www.phosonrt34.com/

Asadoras Argentinas Burgers- Another Small family owned business.

https://asadorasargentinasburgersoswego.com/

I'll also second Tusk Thai in Batavia.
  • Post #207 - January 4th, 2021, 12:54 pm
    Post #207 - January 4th, 2021, 12:54 pm Post #207 - January 4th, 2021, 12:54 pm
    "I have wondered about Luong Loi. When we first moved out this way I checked out two phở spots north of Geneva near the Home Depot. I wasn't super impressed by either. Vietnamese really benefits from super fresh ingredients. Phở Thien in Naperville is the best I've found out here, though its pretty far south.

I'll check out Luong Loi. Do they package the soups well for take out?"

Yes, Luong Loi packages their items very well. The soups come in plastic containers & have never had a problem with spillage or leaking. For the pho & vietnamese pancake, they wrap the herbs & lettuce separately & it travels well!
  • Post #208 - January 24th, 2021, 12:27 pm
    Post #208 - January 24th, 2021, 12:27 pm Post #208 - January 24th, 2021, 12:27 pm
    Hearth-grilled Mediterranean restaurant Vasili’s opens along Naperville’s riverwalk

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... rtbeat-flt
  • Post #209 - March 12th, 2021, 8:32 am
    Post #209 - March 12th, 2021, 8:32 am Post #209 - March 12th, 2021, 8:32 am
    Dave’s Hot Chicken, a California-based chain, is making its move into the suburban Chicago market with plans to open its first Illinois restaurant in Naperville Crossings.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #210 - March 25th, 2021, 6:03 pm
    Post #210 - March 25th, 2021, 6:03 pm Post #210 - March 25th, 2021, 6:03 pm
    Hello Western Suburbs,

I am looking for a take-out recommendation for dinner tomorrow night in the Oswego/Aurora area. This is my daughter’s first year on a dance team. It’s fun visiting areas I haven’t had a reason to previously. First competition was in Joliet and I got some great suggestions from LTHers. We’ll be at Oswego East High School. My husband’s mission will be to find food that we’ll eat at our hotel in Aurora after the competition performances. It has to be something that will hold OK as it will be around 10pm when we get a chance to eat. We understand anything will suffer a bit under those circumstances. Any ideas would be appreciated as I have no experience with either city.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more