LTH Home

Mana on Division

Mana on Division
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - February 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm
    Post #31 - February 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm Post #31 - February 26th, 2015, 3:07 pm
    Eight of us had a great dinner at Mana last night. This was my second visit and, once again, I was blown away by the fact that there was no meat present and I didn't miss it at all. When I think of vegetarian restaurants, what comes to mind is the tasteless, macrobiotic slop that my girlfriend used to serve up in the 60's, or ersatz items like not-dogs, fakon and tofurky. What sets Mana apart is that Chef Baron is taking vegetables at face value and not trying to make them into something thy are not. At Mana, the veg stands alone and is presented in all its fully-seasoned, tasty glory.

This was an excellent meal, despite some ham-handed service, which I'm more than happy to look beyond. Food descriptions are taken from the Mana menu.

Pickled
    Three kinds of homemade pickles

Brussels Sprouts
    With mustard-miso

Bulgogi
    Seared tofu with a rich, soy shiitake mushroom glaze

Panzanella
    Toasted bread salad with shallots, tomato, cucumber, basil and red wine garlic vinaigrette

Mushroom Sauté
    Over creamy polenta

Chili
    Corn, black beans, chickpeas, green onions and white cheddar

Sesame Noodles
    Chilled yellow wheat noodles tossed in spicy sesame peanut sauce with shredded pea pods and carrots

Mana Sliders
    Brown rice and mushroom burger, with spicy mayo

Ma Po Tofu
    Spicy eggplant, tofu, Chinese black beans and red chili paste over brown rice

Ravioli
    Spinach-filled with tomato sauce, ancho-hazelnut pesto and asiago cheese

Mana Food Bar
    1742 W Division St
    Chicago, IL 60622
    (773) 342-1742
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #32 - February 26th, 2015, 3:37 pm
    Post #32 - February 26th, 2015, 3:37 pm Post #32 - February 26th, 2015, 3:37 pm
    stevez wrote:Eight of us had a great dinner at Mana last night.

Really sorry to have missed this -- it looks fantastic -- but I did end up with a new hot water heater at the end of the night. :evil:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - September 27th, 2016, 12:42 pm
    Post #33 - September 27th, 2016, 12:42 pm Post #33 - September 27th, 2016, 12:42 pm
    7 dined at Mana yesterday evening.

Both the Whiskey slushy and sangria slushy were quite tasty/enjoyable.

We tried a number of the items talked about upstream in this thread:

Avocado & Arugula salad
    Sliders
    mushroom saute over polenta
    goat cheese & tomato sauce over toast points
    gyoza

All was good, didn't wow.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #34 - January 29th, 2017, 12:48 pm
    Post #34 - January 29th, 2017, 12:48 pm Post #34 - January 29th, 2017, 12:48 pm
    Wife and I went to Mana last night and forgot that it was the beginning of Restaurant Week. The Mana restaurant week menu was actually great and seemingly a very good value. You start with a really tasty tom kha soup with mushrooms, then choose one of two options for three subsequent courses before ending with sorbet. So in all you get five courses for $33. It was also perfect for the two of us, as we just got everything on the restaurant week menu and shared it all. All was quite good with the kale salad, the cashew pancake, and both of the entrees standing out. The only thing I wish is that the server would have explained what some of the things were; for example, the sorbet came out with three flavors but we had no idea what they were (and still aren't sure what one of them was even after eating it). There is a link to the menu on this page: http://www.choosechicago.com/listing/ma ... bar/55638/

I know that sometimes restaurant week menus can feel like afterthoughts or like not a significant value, but I thought that this was a really nice menu that gave a significant amount of food and a good variety of flavors.
  • Post #35 - August 31st, 2018, 11:12 am
    Post #35 - August 31st, 2018, 11:12 am Post #35 - August 31st, 2018, 11:12 am
    Vegetarian Paradise Mana Food Bar to Close As Owners Plan New Wicker Park Restaurant

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/8/31/178 ... anaba-open
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #36 - August 31st, 2018, 11:36 am
    Post #36 - August 31st, 2018, 11:36 am Post #36 - August 31st, 2018, 11:36 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Vegetarian Paradise Mana Food Bar to Close As Owners Plan New Wicker Park Restaurant

First Green Zebra and now this!

:evil:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #37 - November 27th, 2018, 8:24 am
    Post #37 - November 27th, 2018, 8:24 am Post #37 - November 27th, 2018, 8:24 am
    pairs4life wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:

First Green Zebra and now this!

:evil:

Mana has morphed into a “Japanese alley bar.” The restaurant’s website has announced Yokocho should open on Thursday at 1742 W. Division Street.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/11/26/18 ... rk-izakaya
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #38 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:50 pm
    Post #38 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:50 pm Post #38 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:50 pm
    Crazy times. Yokocho was quickly becoming my neighborhood favorite and I fear the worst...

Both Araba and Yokocho are closed. Sign on the door of Araba says they will reopen in a different location. And the Yokocho site is down.

No idea what happened but super bummed to lose em.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more