Nonstick pans by Misen [and other pans]

Nonstick pans by Misen [and other pans]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Nonstick pans by Misen [and other pans]

Post #1 - October 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm
    Post #1 - October 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm Post #1 - October 10th, 2018, 3:58 pm
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... nstick-pan

Great price if you can get in on the early bird discount! I've been very happy with my other Misen cookware. The one time I had problems (rust spots on a knife) they replaced it anymore the problem did not occur again. These guys seem to be a great answer for serious home cook who can't afford the fancy stuff.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #2 - October 18th, 2018, 11:56 am
    Post #2 - October 18th, 2018, 11:56 am Post #2 - October 18th, 2018, 11:56 am
    Sadly,
    Misen provides no information on the non-stick lining. There are significant advances coming this fall in the technology for safety, heat limits and durability. LeCreuset has introduced durable non-stick pans at a reasonable cost.
  • Post #3 - October 19th, 2018, 11:06 am
    Post #3 - October 19th, 2018, 11:06 am Post #3 - October 19th, 2018, 11:06 am
    Tim wrote:Sadly,
    Misen provides no information on the non-stick lining. There are significant advances coming this fall in the technology for safety, heat limits and durability. LeCreuset has introduced durable non-stick pans at a reasonable cost.

Actually, Misen is very transparent about its nonstick coating, and both Misen and Le Creuset appear to both use the same Teflon nonstick coating.

Misen's Kickstarter page says it uses Dupont Teflon Platinum, a 3-layer, PFOA-free coating.

The Le Creuset website doesn't specify the brand or type of its non-stick coating, saying only that it's a triple-reinforced, PFOA-free coating. https://www.lecreuset.com/toughened-nonstick-cookware
    Le Creuset also claims that it's safe to use metal utensils with its nonstick pans but warns that the pans are only safe to 500 F. https://www.lecreuset.com/materials

These characteristics and features are identical to the Dupont Teflon Platinum coating.

The Misen 8" pan is currently $35. Le Creuset's 8" pan is $100.

I'm not in the market for a nonstick pan right now but the Misen seems like a no brainer to me.
  • Post #4 - October 19th, 2018, 2:28 pm
    Post #4 - October 19th, 2018, 2:28 pm Post #4 - October 19th, 2018, 2:28 pm
    Thank you. You provided the information that I was not being provided by Misen emails or by their website. The Reasons posting clarifys everything.

I tried to place an order but the Non-Stick pans are not on their website. The Kickstarter promotion is no longer available.

Their website address has changed.
  • Post #5 - October 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm
    Post #5 - October 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm Post #5 - October 19th, 2018, 3:04 pm
    Tim wrote:... The Kickstarter promotion is no longer available.

The early bird deals are gone, but you can still get a pan via Kickstarter.
    -Mary
  • Post #6 - October 19th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    Post #6 - October 19th, 2018, 3:51 pm Post #6 - October 19th, 2018, 3:51 pm
    For delivery next year???
  • Post #7 - October 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Post #7 - October 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm Post #7 - October 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm
    Tim wrote:For delivery next year???

Their deliveries traditionally have a very long lead time. Your order usually shows up at just about the same time as you give up hope.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm
    Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm Post #8 - October 22nd, 2018, 1:23 pm
    That's how Kickstarter works. It's not a sale site, it's a project backing site. And, in fact, you might never get anything. There's a risk that you might back something that fails to get its manufacturing together.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #9 - February 5th, 2020, 7:40 pm
    Post #9 - February 5th, 2020, 7:40 pm Post #9 - February 5th, 2020, 7:40 pm
    Misen is having another KickStarter for skillets. Carbon Steel 10 and 12 inch ones. Two days left on the early bird prices.

I requested both pans, for $108, which includes shipping. They are currently funded at close to $500,000, a bit over the $20,000 goal.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 8:18 pm
    Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 8:18 pm Post #10 - February 5th, 2020, 8:18 pm
    I can't wait for mine! The nonstick pans are still as good as the day I got them, but if the carbon steel ones are all that, I'll pass 'em on to my kid.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #11 - February 6th, 2020, 9:50 am
    Post #11 - February 6th, 2020, 9:50 am Post #11 - February 6th, 2020, 9:50 am
    Xexo wrote:Misen is having another KickStarter for skillets. Carbon Steel 10 and 12 inch ones. Two days left on the early bird prices.

I requested both pans, for $108, which includes shipping. They are currently funded at close to $500,000, a bit over the $20,000 goal.

The carbon steel bundle of a 10" and a 12" is now $99, which seems to be a great deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

A friend bought a 12" carbon steel from Blanc Creatives, but it was $210. I'm sure comparing apples to oranges, but are there negatives with these Misen's?
  • Post #12 - February 6th, 2020, 9:57 am
    Post #12 - February 6th, 2020, 9:57 am Post #12 - February 6th, 2020, 9:57 am
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Misen is having another KickStarter for skillets. Carbon Steel 10 and 12 inch ones. Two days left on the early bird prices.

The carbon steel bundle of a 10" and a 12" is now $99, which seems to be a great deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

A friend bought a 12" carbon steel from Blanc Creatives, but it was $210. I'm sure comparing apples to oranges, but are there negatives with these Misen's?

The Blanc is hand-forged cast iron (awesome stuff, btw) and superior to anything Misen is putting out. That's why pricing is so different.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #13 - February 6th, 2020, 11:26 am
    Post #13 - February 6th, 2020, 11:26 am Post #13 - February 6th, 2020, 11:26 am
    They're brand new. Nobody has them yet so we have no reviews. But I've been really happy with their other products, so I'm willing to roll the dice. Of course, if you can swing it, the established producer is your safest bet. There's always an element of risk as an early adopter, that's the price we pay for supporting the newcomer.

• Post #14 - February 6th, 2020, 11:29 am
    Post #14 - February 6th, 2020, 11:29 am Post #14 - February 6th, 2020, 11:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:

The Blanc is hand-forged cast iron (awesome stuff, btw) and superior to anything Misen is putting out. That's why pricing is so different.

=R=

I realized it was hand forged, but it's carbon steel, not cast iron. Our friend loved the lighter weight of steel over iron, said the interior finish was smooth, and overall a beautiful pan.

https://blanccreatives.com/procollectio ... illetlarge

Aside from the hand forged awesomeness of that Blanc pan (which I recommended to him knowing his wife would love it), I was just curious if anyone thought these were worth a flyer for one of our kids.
  • Post #15 - February 6th, 2020, 11:53 am
    Post #15 - February 6th, 2020, 11:53 am Post #15 - February 6th, 2020, 11:53 am
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:

=R=

I realized it was hand forged, but it's carbon steel, not cast iron. Our friend loved the lighter weight of steel over iron, said the interior finish was smooth, and overall a beautiful pan.

https://blanccreatives.com/procollectio ... illetlarge

Aside from the hand forged awesomeness of that Blanc pan (which I recommended to him knowing his wife would love it), I was just curious if anyone thought these were worth a flyer for one of our kids.

Ah, yes. Got it. I forgot that My Blancs, which I bought a couple of years ago, are a different line (Heritage) but still carbon steel.

Looking at the pics, it seems pretty clear why the hand-forged Blancs are more expensive than the Misen. They're more substantial and, again, hand-made. However, if weight is the determining factor, Misen may be the better option. If temperature retention, durability and aesthetics are more of a priority, the more expensive Blancs might be the way to go. Also, with a current lead time of 7 weeks for Blanc, if time is a factor, then Misen would be the call. If you're interested in hand-made, I would also suggest checking out Santa Barbara Forge, which makes beautiful pieces, and currently, only requires a lead time of 3-4 weeks.

In any case, none of these pans are, by default, non-stick. I just wanted to point that out since the discussion has now veered from the subject line of the thread.

=R=
  • Post #16 - February 6th, 2020, 2:03 pm
    Post #16 - February 6th, 2020, 2:03 pm Post #16 - February 6th, 2020, 2:03 pm
    There are many carbon steel alternatives besides the no-one-has-handled-them Misen and the high-end, handmade options. Personally, I prefer rivetless construction for easier cleaning on carbon steel pans. Brands like Matfer Bourgeat are similarly or lower cost and available to ship right now. Figure out what you value (as Ronnie says) and pursue that.

Also, I've found the weight difference between carbon steel and similarly sized cast iron to be not so significant. It is noticeable, but I really don't think it would change how I use either pan.
  • Post #17 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    Post #17 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm Post #17 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    gastro gnome wrote: Brands like Matfer Bourgeat are similarly or lower cost and available to ship right now.
    I have a few sizes of Matfer Bourgeat, Cooks Illustrated #1 pick for carbon steel pans, and have been more than happy with them. $52.97 for 11 7/8-inch on Amazon, current price.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    Post #18 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm Post #18 - February 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    gastro gnome wrote:Figure out what you value (as Ronnie says) and pursue that.

This is the key -- figuring out your own priorities and preferences.

I've learned that when cooking on gas, I prefer the Scanpan Professional non-stick line for everyday use. They are made of highly conductive material, so they heat up fast. I like the handle shape and size -- just about a perfect fit for my hands. Their weight is right where I want it to be. Not too heavy to handle easily but not so light that they lack a substantial feel. The non-stick surface is effective and durable. I've seen no chipping or degradation over the several years I've owned them. And, with metal handles, they can go from the stovetop into the oven without a worry.

On the downside, this line is not great at temperature retention. And because of the materials with which they're made, they cannot be used on induction cooktops. I own cookware that checks both these boxes but it's not my everyday stuff. I tend to pull those out for certain, specific tasks.

As for the Misen, at the end of 2019, I ordered a 2-pan bundle of their newly-released nonstick pans, and I like them. The line doesn't speak to me the way the Scanpan stuff does but it's absolutely fine. It feels less substantial to me and honestly, I haven't owned it long enough to comment on its durability. I'm not a fan of the rubber grips on the handles, though. I don't feel that I can safely put them in the oven, and I also worry about moisture getting in between the grips and the handles during cleaning.

=R=
  • Post #19 - February 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm
    Post #19 - February 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm Post #19 - February 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm
    Sorry, mea culpa, my bad. :? I didn't notice this was the nonstick, Misen thread. I just search for Misen, not wanting to start a new thread.

The silicon handles on these carbon steel pans are removable and are a bonus for this kickstarter (maybe only for the early bird special, I don't remember).

I'm just an amateur cook, so I can't rationalize spending too much for pans. As I hadn't seen any carbon steel pans, I jumped at these rather than hunting around. Now I have a couple of brand names, so I can go look. I did break the bank getting some knives in December. Been meaning to post pictures.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #20 - February 6th, 2020, 11:43 pm
    Post #20 - February 6th, 2020, 11:43 pm Post #20 - February 6th, 2020, 11:43 pm
    Xexo wrote:Sorry, mea culpa, my bad. :? I didn't notice this was the nonstick, Misen thread. I just search for Misen, not wanting to start a new thread.

No worries. We updated the subject line to incorporate the expanded discussion.

Xexo wrote:The silicon handles on these carbon steel pans are removable and are a bonus for this kickstarter (maybe only for the early bird special, I don't remember).

Understood. I prefer to eliminate the steps all together by choosing pans on which the handles fit my hand well. That said, I do have some forged pieces (carbon and cast iron) on which the handles need some augmentation for easier handling.

Xexo wrote:I'm just an amateur cook, so I can't rationalize spending too much for pans. As I hadn't seen any carbon steel pans, I jumped at these rather than hunting around. Now I have a couple of brand names, so I can go look. I did break the bank getting some knives in December. Been meaning to post pictures.

Makes sense and I do hope you post about your knives. I'm really curious to know how it's going with them.

=R=
  • Post #21 - February 7th, 2020, 11:34 am
    Post #21 - February 7th, 2020, 11:34 am Post #21 - February 7th, 2020, 11:34 am
    Thanks Mr. Suburban for updating the title. Most kind of you.

I'll post when I get the pans.

I'll get pictures of my knives next week and get them posted.
  • Post #22 - February 18th, 2020, 11:10 am
    Post #22 - February 18th, 2020, 11:10 am Post #22 - February 18th, 2020, 11:10 am
    Just got an email that Misen is having a 2 day sale, 50% off all original Misen cookware and knives. While supplies last.

When I click on the link, it shows a 40% off, so not sure which it is. Ends Wednesday, 2/19/2020 11:59 pm EST.

https://www.misen.co/pages/clearance
  • Post #23 - February 18th, 2020, 11:53 am
    Post #23 - February 18th, 2020, 11:53 am Post #23 - February 18th, 2020, 11:53 am
    Xexo wrote:Just got an email that Misen is having a 2 day sale, 50% off all original Misen cookware and knives. While supplies last.

When I click on the link, it shows a 40% off, so not sure which it is. Ends Wednesday, 2/19/2020 11:59 pm EST.

https://www.misen.co/pages/clearance

When I visited just now, it was 50%.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #24 - February 18th, 2020, 12:07 pm
    Post #24 - February 18th, 2020, 12:07 pm Post #24 - February 18th, 2020, 12:07 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:When I visited just now, it was 50%.

Thanks Cathy! I guess the update on the website was slower than the sending of the emails.

And thanks for moving my post to here. I wasn't sure where to put it. You are most kind and helpful.
  • Post #25 - May 8th, 2021, 11:36 am
    Post #25 - May 8th, 2021, 11:36 am Post #25 - May 8th, 2021, 11:36 am
    Misen is running a site-wide 20% off special today, code: mom21

=R=
  • Post #26 - May 10th, 2021, 10:53 am
    Post #26 - May 10th, 2021, 10:53 am Post #26 - May 10th, 2021, 10:53 am
    i bought a small misen saute pan recently to use when i want to make 2 eggs. i don't dislike it, but once again, i find i'm happiest with my vintage calphalon small saute pan. the misen heats up faster than the calphalon, which is something to keep in mind while using it as i'm used to the slower, steady temp. of my calphalon. i havent tried making eggs, or anything else, in it without fat because....i like butter or olive oil with my eggs. i guess i'm not really sure why i bought it, it was an impulse purchase. and it wasn't even on sale...
  • Post #27 - May 10th, 2021, 10:56 am
    Post #27 - May 10th, 2021, 10:56 am Post #27 - May 10th, 2021, 10:56 am
    justjoan wrote:i bought a small misen saute pan recently to use when i want to make 2 eggs. i don't dislike it, but once again, i find i'm happiest with my vintage calphalon small saute pan. the misen heats up faster than the calphalon, which is something to keep in mind while using it as i'm used to the slower, steady temp. of my calphalon. i havent tried making eggs, or anything else, in it without fat because....i like butter or olive oil with my eggs. i guess i'm not really sure why i bought it, it was an impulse purchase. and it wasn't even on sale...

Haha, I can relate. I own way too much cookware because I've never met a pan I didn't love, not even the ones I don't like! :P

However, I love (and like and use all the time) the 6-quart stainless rondeau I bought from Misen. I used it all winter to make all sorts of dishes. Other than my carbon steel wok, it's probably my most versatile and dependable piece of cookware.

=R=
  • Post #28 - May 10th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    Post #28 - May 10th, 2021, 4:23 pm Post #28 - May 10th, 2021, 4:23 pm
    Ronnie, I'm intrigued by the rondeau but wondering how it compares to a standard saute pan (of the same capacity). A lot of rondeaus that I see on line have higher sides than a typical saute pan. But the Misen version seems to have lower sides and basically looks like a saute pan without a long handle. Is that right, or is this too hard to judge from pictures?
  • Post #29 - May 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    Post #29 - May 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm Post #29 - May 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Ronnie, I'm intrigued by the rondeau but wondering how it compares to a standard saute pan (of the same capacity). A lot of rondeaus that I see on line have higher sides than a typical saute pan. But the Misen version seems to have lower sides and basically looks like a saute pan without a long handle. Is that right, or is this too hard to judge from pictures?

The Misen rondeau has about 3" of interior clearance and holds, well, 6 quarts (my guess is that larger capacity rondeaus have even higher sides). For comparison, my 12.5" Scanpan saute provides just a touch over 2" interior clearance. My Field 12" cast iron skillet is about 2.25" high and my stainless All Clad saute comes in at right around 2" in overall height. All 3 max out comfortably holding just over 4 quarts. The sloped sides of these sautes reduce their functional capacity quite a bit. On the other hand, the straight sides of the rondeau allow for more volume in virtually the same footprint, while also impeding sloshing over better than the sautes.

I bought the rondeau because chicken dishes I was making in the sautes (pieces, not whole birds) were just too much volume for them and I hoped the rondeau would provide a touch more room, which it does. It heats evenly, retains heat well and comes with a snug-fitting lid. Being stainless, it's not the most conductive material but I don't use this when I want to heat something fast or over high heat. It's for long cooks. And at $84/delivered with a lid (plus tax), it's a serious bargain. Fwiw, they list at $105 but Misen frequently runs 20%-off specials.

It's never going to replace some of the super premium pieces I own but as I mentioned above, it's well-built, highly functional, extremely versatile and relatively inexpensive. I've successfully seared, simmered, roasted, baked, fried and even sauteed and steamed in this piece.

=R=
  • Post #30 - May 12th, 2021, 7:31 am
    Post #30 - May 12th, 2021, 7:31 am Post #30 - May 12th, 2021, 7:31 am
    My old (cheap) Mauviel rondeau is 9.5" X 4.5" which is better proportioned for braising. I use it for thicker tough cuts like shanks and shoulder roasts. The Misen seems too shallow for a pork shank.

This discussion began as a discussion of non-stick pans by Misen and others. My Misen non-stick is remarkable for cooking. Serious Eats did criticize the Misen for warping under high heat. This is due to the lack of a stainless-steel exterior.

Our problem with the Misen is cleaning the aluminium exterior. I have never found a good way to clean the aluminum. Suggestions?

We have now switching to Made In non-stick pans with a stainless-steel exterior.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more