LTH Home

Natural Casing Hot Dogs

Natural Casing Hot Dogs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - September 25th, 2018, 10:57 am
    Post #31 - September 25th, 2018, 10:57 am Post #31 - September 25th, 2018, 10:57 am
    You guys are killing me. I had some Miesfeld brats when I lived in Whitewater, and have never been able to forget them. So then I read this thread, and thus just emailed Miesfeld to ask if they ship... If so, I'll get some brats and some of the natural casing wieners.

Oh, just got a response from Mr. Miesfeld himself--'call Terri in shipping, she'll assist you'. Hmmm, does that mean they DO ship? seems to me that's the implication.

I'll report back.

Geo
    PS. BTW, the best 'hot dog' I've ever had is available only in Canada, AFAIK: http://www.pillers.com/products/sausage-and-wieners/pillers-european-wieners-450g
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #32 - September 25th, 2018, 12:08 pm
    Post #32 - September 25th, 2018, 12:08 pm Post #32 - September 25th, 2018, 12:08 pm
    Geo wrote:YHmmm, does that mean they DO ship? seems to me that's the implication

I've had Miesfelds brats and natural casing hot dogs shipped to Chicago for events. So yes, Miesfelds ships.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - September 26th, 2018, 7:26 am
    Post #33 - September 26th, 2018, 7:26 am Post #33 - September 26th, 2018, 7:26 am
    How about a place called Shaevitz Market in Highland Park? I hear they make a good natural casing dog. Any experience with them? Worth an effort?
  • Post #34 - September 26th, 2018, 7:42 am
    Post #34 - September 26th, 2018, 7:42 am Post #34 - September 26th, 2018, 7:42 am
    I never see Leon's hotdogs mentioned. I always liked the 6-1 natural casing.

Amylu Foods, Inc.
    1143 West Lake Street
    Chicago, IL 60607
  • Post #35 - September 26th, 2018, 8:45 am
    Post #35 - September 26th, 2018, 8:45 am Post #35 - September 26th, 2018, 8:45 am
    Puckjam wrote:How about a place called Shaevitz Market in Highland Park? I hear they make a good natural casing dog. Any experience with them? Worth an effort?

Not natural casing. Again, it's the kosher thing.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #36 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:01 am
    Post #36 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:01 am Post #36 - October 23rd, 2018, 8:01 am
    Finally made it to Miesfeld!
    Pre-ordered 5# of the Grand Champion Brats and two # of the natural casing dogs.
    Didn’t help as you still have to take a number and wait.
    Taste test of Vienna Natural Casing and Miesfeld was very close with Miesfeld winning out on juiciness.
    To be fair though, the Vienna’s were seconds (10# bag), purchased frozen at the olde Factory Store and the Miesfeld fresh.
    The brats were excellent in all aspects except they were seasoned lightly. Fresh glistening sausages that had not been frozen or sat in a case.
    Miesfeld does use MSG and I’m not very concerned.
    They do have brats without MSG in the frozen case.
    Double smoked Landjaegers were very good.
    Next Memorial Day we will do a Blind Tasting of Usinger's Fresh from the Factory and Miesfeld.
    I know Johnsonville brats are much more heavily spiced (Sage?) and they have the Concession at both Lambeau and Road America, so I eat them fairly regularly.
    If you on a budget Klement’s are good but they are actually more expensive at the Factory Store in Milwaukee but other Klement products at the Store can be a very good value such a 2 #’s of Foot Longs used at the Brewers games.
    I really pine for Homemade European Sausage!
    Every one has thier favorite dog or brat and I really believe it’s the one you first ate and were brought up on.-Richard
  • Post #37 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am
    Post #37 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am Post #37 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:00 am
    I've always liked Klement's Stadium brats--very German-ish, as compared to regular Wisconsin-style brats, which, while wonderful (esp. Miesfeld's), are totally American. Usinger's bockwurst, OTOH, are also very German-ish, but IIRC they're seasonal. At least, they were seasonal in Kansas City, available only around Easter.

There are NO GOOD SAUSAGES, none, nada, zero, in upstate NY. I hate that.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #38 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:30 pm
    Post #38 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:30 pm Post #38 - October 23rd, 2018, 11:30 pm
    Geo wrote:There are NO GOOD SAUSAGES, none, nada, zero, in upstate NY. I hate that.

Geo

Depending on your definition of "sausage" and "upstate NY," I've found Sahlen's hot dogs to be the bomb. They may very well be my favorite hot dog, period. And I mean the pork one (or is it pork mixed with beef), not the all-beef one. I also enjoy Zweigle's white hots (not sure I've had their red hots). All are natural casing (though Sahlen's comes in skinless varieties, too. Don't know about Zweigle's off-hand, and don't know about the rest of either of their sausages.)
  • Post #39 - October 24th, 2018, 5:20 am
    Post #39 - October 24th, 2018, 5:20 am Post #39 - October 24th, 2018, 5:20 am
    Binko--

I live near Plattsburgh. That's waaaaay upstate NY. It is, by official definition, in the North Country, which comprises the six counties which touch the Canadian border, from Lake Ontario to Lake Champlain. 400,000 people, hundreds of miles from Zwigle's in Rochester and Sahlen's in, IIRC, Buffalo. NY State is yuge, roughly 5 hours across E-W on I-90. SFAIK, there is not a single ethnic grocery store in the North Country. Really.

We do get sausages up here: Italians, brats, red hots (= Michigans), even white hots. Yesterday I got some Nürnburgers (imported from Germany) at Aldi. But good stuff, especially good LOCAL stuff? Hardly.

I *know* good sausages--I lived in Whitewater for three years, so I even know good Wisconsin brats, and we had a Polish butcher in Kansas City KS who made such good Weißwurst and knacks that I sold them for 15 years in the resto we ran during fests at my winery. We don't have good sausages in the North Country, pretty much mostly.

But thanks for trying, anyway! It's always great when you chip in!

Geo
  • Post #40 - October 24th, 2018, 7:53 am
    Post #40 - October 24th, 2018, 7:53 am Post #40 - October 24th, 2018, 7:53 am
    I did say it depends on your definition of "upstate New York." :)

Yeah, those little Nürnburgers from Aldi have always been a favorite of mine. When I make my own bratwurst (tho it's been awhile), I spice them very similarly (or at least it tastes very similar to me, with marjoram, mace, white pepper--though I also add caraway to mine, based on my memories of a Thuringer rostbratwurst.)

I sense a business opportunity! :)
  • Post #41 - October 24th, 2018, 8:08 am
    Post #41 - October 24th, 2018, 8:08 am Post #41 - October 24th, 2018, 8:08 am
    Binko says "I sense a business opportunity! :)" heh-heh, I take your point. Indeed, last year I took a continuing-ed course in charcuterie in the New American Farmstead program at Vermont's Sterling College. So I have some clues what to do. But I've done the small biz bit (estate vineyard and winery) in my younger days, but don't think I have the energy to do it again! Why don't you come out here, Binko?! You'd flourish!

Geo
  • Post #42 - November 13th, 2018, 7:44 pm
    Post #42 - November 13th, 2018, 7:44 pm Post #42 - November 13th, 2018, 7:44 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    budrichard wrote:Before I did a blind tasting, I would swear that Usinger’s veal wieners (wiener is Usingers’ for natural casing) were my favorite.
    But Vienna Natural casing beat out Usinger’s veal and Usingers’ beef Weiner's hands down for three tasters’s.

Have you tried Miesfeld's natural casing hot dogs? While I very much enjoy Vienna natural casing dogs Miesfeld's is #1, though I see a blind tasting in my near future.

Miesfeld's natural casing hot dogs, count me a Fan!

I was at Miesfeld's today and purchased some natural casing hot dogs. Miesfield's natural casing hot dogs are pork/beef. Vienna Beef are all beef(bull meat & brisket/navel trimmings). After reading your review, I wanted to give Miesfeld's a try. I tried the Miesfield natural casing hot dog and it was very good for a pork/beef product with no pork taste at all. It's a totally different product than Vienna Beef . Miesfield's casing is not as firm(snappy), the grind is not as coarse, and the spicing is not as garlicky as Vienna Beef. Vienna uses garlic juice, Miesfield, garlic powder. Two completely different flavor patterns. Miesfield's is a much softer, juicie product. I prefer a coarse, snappy, spicier Vienna Beef natural casing hot dog.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #43 - May 20th, 2020, 8:17 am
    Post #43 - May 20th, 2020, 8:17 am Post #43 - May 20th, 2020, 8:17 am
    I've heard great things about Feltman's Natural Casing hot dogs. Old world flavor, terrific snap, right up there with the greats. The couple who recommended Feltman's bought them at Whole Foods. Feltman's partnered with Whole Foods though they don't seem to currently have Feltman's in stock. I called 4 WF in the city, including the giant one on Kingsbury, plus the Park Ridge WF.

I'm down to my last four Joseph's Finest Meats natural casing hot dogs, and Joseph's is not producing them near term as beef prices are off the charts. Miesfeld’s natural casing hot dogs are terrific but Sheybogan a bit of a drive in Social Distance terms.

Anyone see Feltman's natural casing hot dogs locally? I'm not keen on mail order/shipping if that can be avoided. Suggestions?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #44 - June 1st, 2020, 6:11 am
    Post #44 - June 1st, 2020, 6:11 am Post #44 - June 1st, 2020, 6:11 am
    Miesfeld’s is alive and well!
    Phoned in an order Saturday morning 8am for pickup at 10am before I went to Road America.
    Was told that if I phoned later orders might be cut off due to volume.
    The store is still open inside for purchases.
    Arrived 10am to a 2 car line at the pickup window and shortly thereafter had my order in my cooler.
    As to masks and social distancing, 50 miles north of Milwaukee, there isn’t any.
    Drive up window people had no masks. no gloves, no distancing at all.
    I travel with alcohol Hand Wash, disinfectant wipes and an N95 mask.
    Last week at Widmer’s, they took your order by phone and charge and put the order on a table outside when you arrived. Widmer’s retail outlet is actually in the factory with no separation from the vats where the processing takes place so I understand why.
    If you arrive early enough in normal times you will learn why they call it Brick cheese.
    At Road America they did take forehead temp before admittance.
    At another store in Lomira, no masks, no gloves, no distancing, only a lexan shield in front of the cash register.
    Order was ‘Restaurant Steaks’ which are used in Sheboygan Restaurants such as the Charcoal Inn, Grand Champion Brats and of course hot dogs.
    Have not made my annual May visit to Vienna Factory store for obvious reasons, so no Vienna’s for comparison.
    These composite steaks must be charcoal grilled as shown along with the brats.
    Flame grilling or partial charcoal just will not work.
    -Richard
    BTW Yellow Mustard is Raye’s ‘Top Dog’, the finest yellow I have found.
    F3EB90A2-3A30-495F-B251-BE0FD770A243.jpeg
    A9B31320-BB78-45FC-A914-F415F96708FE.jpeg
    8F74C9A3-AF62-4411-B411-FE8BF57661D3.jpeg
  • Post #45 - June 13th, 2020, 12:23 am
    Post #45 - June 13th, 2020, 12:23 am Post #45 - June 13th, 2020, 12:23 am
    budrichard wrote:Miesfeld’s is alive and well!
    =-=-
    Order was ‘Restaurant Steaks’ which are used in Sheboygan Restaurants such as the Charcoal Inn, Grand Champion Brats and of course hot dogs.

Drool worthy pictures!

Re ‘Restaurant Steaks’ Steve Z loved them from Miesfeld's, almost as much as I love their natural casing hot dogs. I like Restaurant Steaks but they don't punch my clock like they do yours or Steve's.

Speaking of mustard, my current mustard crush is Kelly's stone ground. Looks a lot like your image of Raye's.

By the way, looking at last pic I now realize where my sudden craving for baked beans came from :)

Miesfeld's, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #46 - June 13th, 2020, 6:36 am
    Post #46 - June 13th, 2020, 6:36 am Post #46 - June 13th, 2020, 6:36 am
    Bud,

Is that a cooked brat in the pic by the restaurant steak? It isn't the Miesfeld brat that I remember.

And the Miesfeld brat that I remember was the best Wisconsin (or American-style, for that matter) brat I've ever had. Wish I could get 'em up here in way far Upstate New York... yinz is lucky!

Geo
  • Post #47 - June 14th, 2020, 4:22 am
    Post #47 - June 14th, 2020, 4:22 am Post #47 - June 14th, 2020, 4:22 am
    Geo wrote:Bud,

Is that a cooked brat in the pic by the restaurant steak? It isn't the Miesfeld brat that I remember.

And the Miesfeld brat that I remember was the best Wisconsin (or American-style, for that matter) brat I've ever had. Wish I could get 'em up here in way far Upstate New York... yinz is lucky!

Geo

We poach our brats in beer before grilling.
    That is a poached fresh, never frozen, Miesfeld Grand Champion Brat pictured.
    The Grand Champion has MSG, maybe that’s why it is so good.
    They have brats without MSG but they are frozen.
    Wait until Winter and have them ship a box of frozen brats, Two Day Delivery.
    That is what I do with any number of foods.
    -Richard
  • Post #48 - October 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm
    Post #48 - October 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm Post #48 - October 31st, 2020, 6:55 pm
    Hi,

My Dad has been missing his natural casing hot dogs.

In Milwaukee yesterday, he stopped at Usingers and went hog wild. He bought two boxes of Usinger's weiners weighing 6 pounds each or approximately 48-50 hot dogs per box.

He did not stop there, he bought multiple packets of liver sausage, blutwurst, a variety of fresh sausage (Italian, Polish, Brats) and perhaps five pounds of smoke sausage sticks. He spent about $130 or so on sausages.

I think he ignored my notice of eating down the freezer to accommodate a turkey. Since I plan on cooking a bird fresh from the freezer, I may be at Jewel before 7 AM on Thanksgiving day.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #49 - October 31st, 2020, 7:15 pm
    Post #49 - October 31st, 2020, 7:15 pm Post #49 - October 31st, 2020, 7:15 pm
    <heart>

g
  • Post #50 - November 1st, 2020, 3:28 am
    Post #50 - November 1st, 2020, 3:28 am Post #50 - November 1st, 2020, 3:28 am
    Usingers has a Senior Discount, Mon, Tue and Wed.
  • Post #51 - November 1st, 2020, 9:31 am
    Post #51 - November 1st, 2020, 9:31 am Post #51 - November 1st, 2020, 9:31 am
    budrichard wrote:Usingers has a Senior Discount, Mon, Tue and Wed.

FYI - Usingers is closed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Check hours, too, because they seem to be closing at 4 pm instead of 5 pm.

Dad knows of the discount. This time around a visit to Usingers fit into his schedule.

Thanks!

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #52 - November 1st, 2020, 11:15 am
    Post #52 - November 1st, 2020, 11:15 am Post #52 - November 1st, 2020, 11:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

In Milwaukee yesterday, he stopped at Usingers and went hog wild. He bought two boxes of Usinger's weiners weighing 6 pounds each or approximately 48-50 hot dogs per box.

He did not stop there, he bought multiple packets of liver sausage, blutwurst, a variety of fresh sausage (Italian, Polish, Brats) and perhaps five pounds of smoke sausage sticks. He spent about $130 or so on sausages.

I think he ignored my notice of eating down the freezer to accommodate a turkey. Since I plan on cooking a bird fresh from the freezer, I may be at Jewel before 7 AM on Thanksgiving day.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Not sure how to meet up but I’d gladly take some of the dogs off your hands if you might want to sell ’em...
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #53 - November 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm
    Post #53 - November 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm Post #53 - November 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Regards,
    Cathy2

Not sure how to meet up but I’d gladly take some of the dogs off your hands if you might want to sell ’em...

Get in line! :D
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #54 - November 2nd, 2020, 5:22 am
    Post #54 - November 2nd, 2020, 5:22 am Post #54 - November 2nd, 2020, 5:22 am
    Thanks for the info!
    I used to think I preferred Usingers veal wieners until we did a blind tasting with Vienna Natural Casing and Usingers beef and the veal.
    Three of us unanimously picked the Vienna dog!
  • Post #55 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am
    Post #55 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am Post #55 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:48 am
    budrichard wrote:Thanks for the info!
    I used to think I preferred Usingers veal wieners until we did a blind tasting with Vienna Natural Casing and Usingers beef and the veal.
    Three of us unanimously picked the Vienna dog!

My Dad thought he won the lottery when I found a package of natural casing hot dogs in the back of the freezer a month or so ago. I have experimented with lots of different hot dogs over the last few months with faint praise.

One year for his birthday, I gave him a number of natural casing hot dogs from various butchers in Milwaukee. I have come back from State Fair trips with hot dogs, too.

I have bought a box of Vienna natural casing, too. He loves the snap. He just happens to go to Milwaukee more often. Now that I showed him where Usingers is located, he just takes care of himself.

Dad will eat a hot dog for breakfast. I hope this purchase will take him through winter.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #56 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:58 am
    Post #56 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:58 am Post #56 - November 2nd, 2020, 8:58 am
    Cathy2 wrote:One year for his birthday, I gave him a number of natural casing hot dogs from various butchers in Milwaukee. I have come back from State Fair trips with hot dogs, too.

Lots of tasty natural casing hot dogs around. Two best, IMHO, Joseph's house made natural casing hot dog and Miesfeld’s house made natural casing hot dog. Has your dad had those?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #57 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am
    Post #57 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am Post #57 - November 2nd, 2020, 9:31 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:One year for his birthday, I gave him a number of natural casing hot dogs from various butchers in Milwaukee. I have come back from State Fair trips with hot dogs, too.

Lots of tasty natural casing hot dogs around. Two best, IMHO, Joseph's house made natural casing hot dog and Miesfeld’s house made natural casing hot dog. Has your dad had those?

Not yet!

I almost never get as far north as Sheboygan. I come so close, then never quite there. I have to correct that.

When our sausage collection whittles down, I will get some Joseph's someday soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #58 - November 3rd, 2020, 5:41 am
    Post #58 - November 3rd, 2020, 5:41 am Post #58 - November 3rd, 2020, 5:41 am
    Our current in-house brand is Miesfeld’s since I have not gone into Chicago this summer for my Vienna’s.
    Miesfelds also has order ahead and a window for drive thru pickup.
    Since we are Road America a number of times each summer, it’s easy peasy.
    Brats and of course the Sheboygan hard rolls at Miesfelds are also very good.
  • Post #59 - November 3rd, 2020, 8:53 am
    Post #59 - November 3rd, 2020, 8:53 am Post #59 - November 3rd, 2020, 8:53 am
    Well I just wrote about 6 paragraphs about my recent first trip to Miesfeld's.
    Tried to add pics but got a message saying Lthforum could not process my request. So then I went to Preview and got the same message but this time it deleted my post. Can't write it again as I am a Hunt & Pecker.
    "I drink to make other people more interesting."
    Ernest Hemingway
  • Post #60 - November 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Post #60 - November 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm Post #60 - November 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:In Milwaukee yesterday, he stopped at Usingers and went hog wild. He bought two boxes of Usinger's weiners weighing 6 pounds each or approximately 48-50 hot dogs per box.
    . . .

Skip the turkey. This sounds like the perfect time for another crown roast of frankfurters. Very festive!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more