LTH Home

Omakase Yume

Omakase Yume
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Omakase Yume

Post #1 - October 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm
    Post #1 - October 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm Post #1 - October 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm
    I have a reservation for two for tomorrow night (Thursday, October 25) and can't make it. First one to respond can have it. I have been dying to try it, but caught the flu from my daughter and am out.

Omakase Yume
    651 W Washington Blvd
    Chicago, IL 60661
    (312) 265-1610
  • Post #2 - October 24th, 2018, 11:04 pm
    Post #2 - October 24th, 2018, 11:04 pm Post #2 - October 24th, 2018, 11:04 pm
    Which seating, 5:30 or 7:30? And, you mean Thursday the 25th, right?

Coincidentally, I ate here tonight and really enjoyed it (I'll post about that separately in the next day or two). In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to make another reservation as soon as I got home. The soonest I could get was in early January. With only 2 seatings of 8 people a night, this is a very tough reservation. Hopefully, someone here will take you up on your offer, otherwise, I believe you'll be on the hook for the cost of the meal, as they require a credit card to reserve and have a 48-hour cancellation policy.

Fyi, the Omakase runs $125/pp + tax & tip, and additional supplements are available. It's also currently byo, which I thought was a very nice bonus.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - October 25th, 2018, 5:22 am
    Post #3 - October 25th, 2018, 5:22 am Post #3 - October 25th, 2018, 5:22 am
    Sorry, yes, the 25th, and the 7:30pm seating.
  • Post #4 - October 25th, 2018, 7:33 am
    Post #4 - October 25th, 2018, 7:33 am Post #4 - October 25th, 2018, 7:33 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Which seating, 5:30 or 7:30? And, you mean Thursday the 25th, right?

Coincidentally, I ate here tonight and really enjoyed it (I'll post about that separately in the next day or two). In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to make another reservation as soon as I got home. The soonest I could get was in early January. With only 2 seatings of 8 people a night, this is a very tough reservation. Hopefully, someone here will take you up on your offer, otherwise, I believe you'll be on the hook for the cost of the meal, as they require a credit card to reserve and have a 48-hour cancellation policy.

Fyi, the Omakase runs $125/pp + tax & tip, and additional supplements are available. It's also currently byo, which I thought was a very nice bonus.

=R=

I'll plus one that it's a great experience. And somehow, the other 2 new omakase places seem to be getting more buzz, don't know why.

The BYO aspect is great both because it saves you a lot of money and this food goes so well with booze. Not only that, but you also got (well we got) the Schwa-esque thing of all the bottles starting to get passed around. We lucked into some amazing sake that way.

Someone, maybe Dolinksy, felt that Yume was not engaging or friendly. In the beginning of our meal, it was deathly silent, but once the ice was broken, he was quite engaging (albeit with heavy accent that hinders things a bit). Really, the interaction with the chef and staff is a big part of the experience.

Someone should go.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #5 - October 25th, 2018, 10:47 am
    Post #5 - October 25th, 2018, 10:47 am Post #5 - October 25th, 2018, 10:47 am
    I have to agree 100% with the above. Yume is a very well run/ welcoming/ hospitable/ comfortable establishment and my favorite of the new breed of Omakase parlors. I went a few weeks after they opened, and returned just this past Monday and thought it was even better. (I too had to book another reservation, not until January....lol.)

And yes, the BYO is awesome as white wine (and beer and sake) pairs so nicely with sushi. It IS quiet in there so part of your experience is dependent on the mood/vivaciousness of the other diners, which should improve as the night goes on.

Also- The chef isn't the best at English and may be a bit shy. But his wife makes up for it. They are a great pair.

Chico

As y'all would say: Omakase Yume, count me a fan!

chico
  • Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm Post #6 - October 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Still lamenting their departure from Niles. Izakaya Yume was my go-to spot for years.
  • Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm
    Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm Post #7 - October 25th, 2018, 1:29 pm
    It wasn't perfect but we really enjoyed our meal here last night. Most of what we ate was excellent, and there were a couple of 'just okay' bites. But overall, this is a special place with some outstanding offerings. As I posted above, I came home after this meal and immediately made another reservation. So obviously, I'm looking forward to returning.

The small, cozy and toney room was a bit more hushed than I would have preferred. One duo next us was friendly enough and that helped lighten the tone a bit. And service was really friendly, too. Another duo comported themselves in a way that made them hardly noticeable (just like a good umpire). The 4th duo was double-trouble. There are only 8 seats and the meal does not start until all 8 diners are present. One of that last set was late, so we all had to wait 10 minutes for her to arrive. The other half of that pair walked into the room reeking as if he'd just smoked an entire pack. Yuck! Eventually his odor dissipated and at least he didn't compound the problem by going out for any smokes during the ~90-minute service.

Pictures of our meal are below. Pieces are served one-at-a-time (usually placed by chef on the plate on the upper counter for the diner to pick up), so each diner gets the same bite at the same time. I'm sorry but I didn't really understand too much of what was being said, so I can't add much in the way of details or descriptions. But the fish was in excellent condition across the board and the bites were well-conceived, and well-composed . . .

Omakase Yume - 651 W Washington, 60661

Welcoming Committee

Menu - 18.1024

Place Setting

Chef SangTae Park

Mise en Place

Ankimo
    subbed for the 86'd gomae

Chef Park preps the hirame

Hirame

I guess I missed a shot of the Madai :(

Akami

Chutoro

Otoro

Kinmedai

Shimaaji

Kanpachi

Chef Park smokes the sake

Chef Park flames the sake

Sake

Botan Ebi

Ika

Misoyaki (Grilled Miso Black Cod)

Miso Soup

Miso Soup

Tamago

Uni - supplement

Sanma - supplement

Kohada - supplement

Matcha Panna Cotta

Matcha Panna Cotta

The Bill

=R=
  • Post #8 - October 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    Post #8 - October 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm Post #8 - October 25th, 2018, 1:32 pm
    I have a reservation for two for tomorrow night (Thursday, October 24) and can't make it. First one to respond can have it. I have been dying to try it, but caught the flu from my daughter and am out.

I sent a private message that we're interested in your seats. Let me know if they're still available!
  • Post #9 - December 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    Post #9 - December 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm Post #9 - December 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm
    All -

Headed in tonight and very excited.

Based on this thread we are going to take wine/sake. Anyone have any suggestions for pairing?

Thanks!
  • Post #10 - December 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm
    Post #10 - December 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm Post #10 - December 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm
    Champagne is best, followed by either trocken, off dry or even kabinett riesling if you don't mind a bit of residual sugar.

I'm not a sake expert, but a junmai ginjo or daiginjo would certainly work well.
  • Post #11 - December 11th, 2018, 2:34 pm
    Post #11 - December 11th, 2018, 2:34 pm Post #11 - December 11th, 2018, 2:34 pm
    deesher wrote:I'm not a sake expert, but a junmai ginjo or daiginjo would certainly work well.

Neither am I but a junmai daiginjo worked very well with our meal here.

=R=
  • Post #12 - January 4th, 2019, 9:53 am
    Post #12 - January 4th, 2019, 9:53 am Post #12 - January 4th, 2019, 9:53 am
    Had a very good, but not mind-blowing, meal at Yume. The sushi was all of the highest quality and well prepared, but it was all very straight forward. For the first half of the meal, it was mostly fish on rice, with a brush of soy, and perhaps a sprinkling of salt. Near the end, the chef used a smoker and a blow torch, which added a nice, special, extra element.

My point of comparison is the omakase we had with Chef Kaze as Sushi-San. There was simply a higher level of creativity in both the fish selection and the method of preparation.

What I did really like about Omakase Yume was the atmosphere and service. The room is simple and serene. While the chef doesn't speak the best English, the other staff stopped by frequently to add more information on the sushi and make sure we had drinks and anything else we needed.

All in all, a very nice experience, but not one that knocked me out like some other high level sushi dinners.

Final note: They now have a liquor licence and charge a $40 corkage fee. Several people came with wine, but not surprisingly decided not to open it! They seem very knowledgeable about their saki selections, and I had an excellent Japanese craft beer I'd never heard of ( I think it was Yoho Wednesday?)
  • Post #13 - January 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm
    Post #13 - January 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm Post #13 - January 9th, 2019, 12:23 pm
    Jonah wrote:They now have a liquor licence and charge a $40 corkage fee.

Thanks, Jonah. We're going later this week and I appreciate you posting this information. As much unnecessary correspondence as Open Table sends, needless to say, this useful bit was never included.

=R=
  • Post #14 - January 9th, 2019, 12:35 pm
    Post #14 - January 9th, 2019, 12:35 pm Post #14 - January 9th, 2019, 12:35 pm
    Wow- I was wondering what they would set corkage at- the BYOB made it a great option. $40 = don't bring your bottles any more!

I do look forward to returning soon- they are quite hospitable.

Cheers,

Chico
  • Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 12:01 am
    Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 12:01 am Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 12:01 am
    Jonah wrote: {edit} Final note: They now have a liquor license and charge a $40 corkage fee. Several people came with wine, but not surprisingly decided not to open it! They seem very knowledgeable about their sake selections, and I had an excellent Japanese craft beer I'd never heard of (I think it was Yoho Wednesday?)
    Yoho Wednesday :?: I don't know about that beer, but if it has Tokyo Black Porter, that is the one to have :!:
    Otherwise, you may have been offered Yona Yona Ale, an American Pale Ale.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 12:29 am
    Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 12:29 am Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 12:29 am
    Maybe this will be of some help . . .

Omakase Yume Drink Menu - 19.0110

=R=
  • Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 2:25 am
    Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 2:25 am Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 2:25 am
    OK - Let's see. The $8 beer is actually Kawaba Snow Weizen. The beer beneath, Suiyoubi No Neko {what does it have against cats? ;)} is by Yo-Ho Brwg.
    The third beer, Yo-Ho Sorry Yuzu Salt Ale is what probably sounded like 'Wednesday' to our diner.
    You didn't ask me, but $10 is too dear a price to pay for a session IPA.
    The 4th beer is Samurai Barley Ale from Hyouko Yashiki No Mori Brewery in Niigata prefecture, Japan. I have never encountered this beer, or this brewery, either in Japan, or here in the U.S.A. It is an American Barleywine. Depending on the serving size, it may be worth $12.
    I need to disclose who are the importers | distributers for these Japanese beers.
    I wonder who else notices some of my best replies here on LTHF are composed from 4 AM bars. :wink:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #18 - January 12th, 2019, 7:39 am
    Post #18 - January 12th, 2019, 7:39 am Post #18 - January 12th, 2019, 7:39 am
    I believe Mitsuwa sells your Samurai Barley Ale!
    -Richard
  • Post #19 - January 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Post #19 - January 12th, 2019, 11:44 am Post #19 - January 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    I believe this is the beer I had: https://umamimart.com/products/yoho-wed ... an-11-8-oz It was a Belgian style white ale.
  • Post #20 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am
    Post #20 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am Post #20 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Maybe this will be of some help . . .
    (Omakase Yume Drink Menu)
    =R=
    much appreciated as the drink menu isn't available on website
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #21 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am
    Post #21 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am Post #21 - April 3rd, 2019, 9:28 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Maybe this will be of some help . . .
    (Omakase Yume Drink Menu)
    =R=
    much appreciated as the drink menu isn't available on website

It's likely changed since I posted it but you get the general ethos.

=R=
  • Post #22 - April 10th, 2019, 6:07 am
    Post #22 - April 10th, 2019, 6:07 am Post #22 - April 10th, 2019, 6:07 am
    Mrs Willie & I dined at Omakase Yume last week. Everything was of top quality and flavor. The only items we both didn't enjoy fully were the shrimp and squid (those are items we never order as we just don't appreciate the flavor or texture). The tamago was also not the flavor or texture we enjoy but again personal preference.

Water Service was bit much, take one drink from my water glass and it is being filled full again.

There were 3 for our seating that showed up 30 minutes late. Chef waited 10 minutes past the seating time then started serving. He caught the group of 3 up w/o slowing the progression for those that showed up on time.

We ordered two supplements, Uni & Foie Gras, both were excellent.

Fully enjoyed, look forward to going back.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #23 - January 4th, 2020, 2:48 pm
    Post #23 - January 4th, 2020, 2:48 pm Post #23 - January 4th, 2020, 2:48 pm
    There is a liquor license application for a place called "KP's Kitchen" and the people on the application are the same as the owner and head sushi chef at Omakase Yume. Same address too. They applied for an outdoor patio permit too, so it seems like it's something new. Anybody know if this is something like a more casual eatery right next door but operated by the same people?
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #24 - January 7th, 2020, 5:40 pm
    Post #24 - January 7th, 2020, 5:40 pm Post #24 - January 7th, 2020, 5:40 pm
    Per my last post. Confirmed something is going on, but not sure what:

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/1/7/2105 ... ood-report

A new concept called Ten Goku from the folks behind Michelin-starred Omakase Yume is in the works for the same building, according to a liquor license application that names its address (651 W. Washington Boulevard) and the same owners. Reached by email, Kate Kim-Park (wife of chef Sangtae Park) said only that they plan to release more information in the coming months.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #25 - February 27th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    Post #25 - February 27th, 2020, 1:54 pm Post #25 - February 27th, 2020, 1:54 pm
    The owners of Omakase Yume are opening TenGoku

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/2/27/211 ... -west-loop
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events