LTH Home

Liver Lovers Shiver at the Dish's Decline

Liver Lovers Shiver at the Dish's Decline
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    Post #31 - May 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm Post #31 - May 4th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    DH--

That seems to imply that the Romans produced foie gras... do we know if they did or not??

And tnx for the linguistic factoid!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #32 - May 4th, 2011, 1:21 pm
    Post #32 - May 4th, 2011, 1:21 pm Post #32 - May 4th, 2011, 1:21 pm
    Geo wrote:DH--

That seems to imply that the Romans produced foie gras... do we know if they did or not??

And tnx for the linguistic factoid!

Geo

That would likely not be a correct deduction. There is hieroglyphic evidence that stuffing geese to fatten livers was practiced in Egypt before there was a Rome.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #33 - May 4th, 2011, 1:45 pm
    Post #33 - May 4th, 2011, 1:45 pm Post #33 - May 4th, 2011, 1:45 pm
    Uh, I said "produced", not "invented", David. So, my implicated question still stands: Did the Romans produce foie gras?

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #34 - May 4th, 2011, 2:20 pm
    Post #34 - May 4th, 2011, 2:20 pm Post #34 - May 4th, 2011, 2:20 pm
    Geo wrote:Uh, I said "produced", not "invented", David. So, my implicated question still stands: Did the Romans produce foie gras?

Geo

"Apicius made the discovery, that we may employ the same artificial method of increasing the size of the liver of the sow, as of that of the goose; it consists in cramming them with dried figs, and when they are fat enough, they are drenched with wine mixed with honey, and immediately killed."

– Pliny the Elder, Natural History, Book VIII. Chapter 77
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #35 - May 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm
    Post #35 - May 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm Post #35 - May 4th, 2011, 2:34 pm
    Whoa! foie gras de porc-- could it get any better than THAT??! Don't let Gary know!

Tnx David, fun to know.

Geo

COMING SOON: this!
  • Post #36 - June 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am
    Post #36 - June 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am Post #36 - June 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am
    David Hammond wrote:I enjoyed the first liver I’d had in years at Cere’s Table a few months ago.

Liver done this well is very juicy: when you pierce the exterior surface, it almost pops. This liver preparation came with the traditional bacon but not onions, and the little cluster of sprouts on top added mostly color and a little crunch. The current menu lists a different preparation with cipolotti (spring onions) and brown butter.

I had this dish a week or so ago, except the sprouts were replaced with the listed charred onions. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a liver fix.
  • Post #37 - June 2nd, 2011, 11:57 am
    Post #37 - June 2nd, 2011, 11:57 am Post #37 - June 2nd, 2011, 11:57 am
    A doctor friend of mine says not to eat liver often, if at all. I'm of the generation that thought iron was good for you, but now understand that it is inflammatory and shouldn't be taken as a supplement unless you are iron-deficient. (Once in a while, I do feel iron-deficient.) Anyway, for those who are interested, here's what the NutritionData/Self.com website says about sautéed chicken livers and pan-fried calf liver.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #38 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:05 pm
    Post #38 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:05 pm Post #38 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:05 pm
    Katie wrote:A doctor friend of mine says not to eat liver often, if at all. I'm of the generation that thought iron was good for you, but now understand that it is inflammatory and shouldn't be taken as a supplement unless you are iron-deficient. (Once in a while, I do feel iron-deficient.) Anyway, for those who are interested, here's what the NutritionData/Self.com website says about sautéed chicken livers and pan-fried calf liver.

i suspect you've been warned off liver because it is very high in cholesterol. it might have nothing to do with iron. justjoan
  • Post #39 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:14 pm
    Post #39 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:14 pm Post #39 - June 2nd, 2011, 12:14 pm
    No, as I recall his objection had to do with the liver's blood-filtering role and the blood contaminants that might thereby accumulate in it. The iron issue is something I've looked into myself. Some women do sometimes need to eat iron-rich foods or take an iron supplement; so too do some people on blood thinners (my dad had an iron supplement prescribed to him along with coumadin). I found the best explanation (for me) of why not to take supplemental iron unnecessarily in Andrew Weil's Eating Well for Optimum Health. Nevertheless, I do like to eat liver occasionally.

I don't really pay attention to cholesterol in food, as I've always had low to normal blood pressure. Guess I can't count on that lasting forever.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #40 - June 13th, 2019, 7:44 pm
    Post #40 - June 13th, 2019, 7:44 pm Post #40 - June 13th, 2019, 7:44 pm
    The bride's feeling slightly rundown, Liver & Onions to the rescue! Not the most attractive dish, very brown, but oh so tasty! #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking

LiverOnionsP1.jpg Liver & Onions

LiverOnionsP2.jpg Liver & Onions

Liver & Onions, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #41 - June 14th, 2019, 11:01 am
    Post #41 - June 14th, 2019, 11:01 am Post #41 - June 14th, 2019, 11:01 am
    I was always a big fan of liver and onions.If done right it is an interesting meal. I have a problem with Gout and have been warned off liver. Also traditional Dirty rice is made with chicken livers,another former favorite of mine.
  • Post #42 - June 14th, 2019, 2:28 pm
    Post #42 - June 14th, 2019, 2:28 pm Post #42 - June 14th, 2019, 2:28 pm
    Ahhh, chicken livers. If you like, go to Kurt's Steakhouse in Delafield, Wi. They have wonderfully rich chicken livers sauteed up perfectly. Kurt (rest his soul) used to be the chef at Sally's in downtown Milwaukee and they always had this on their menu. When he and his son opened this place, they brought that along and offered that treat to all.
  • Post #43 - June 14th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    Post #43 - June 14th, 2019, 3:15 pm Post #43 - June 14th, 2019, 3:15 pm
    jerryg wrote:Also traditional Dirty rice is made with chicken livers,another former favorite of mine.
    Much as I love chicken livers, I too wonder about how much is too much. Lately I've been making dirty rice with ground beef.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more