LTH Home

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]

Thus Goeth Popeye's? +[Evanston Chicken Shack]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - August 26th, 2019, 11:30 am
    Post #61 - August 26th, 2019, 11:30 am Post #61 - August 26th, 2019, 11:30 am
    shakes wrote:It's all batter.

    Fwiw, I had them twice and this wasn't the case with either. Both were ample and exemplary. But at this point, with some outlets having to go days without even being able to offer them, who knows what they're serving.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #62 - August 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    Post #62 - August 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm Post #62 - August 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    I just had to give it a try. Went to Morton Grove at 11:15 and figured no problems. Went up to the door and a sign said no chicken sandwiches. I didn't feel like going another place and so went in and ( its been 25 years since I have been inside a Popeyes) looked at the menu and ordered boneless wings. They were tiny, dried out pieces of deep fried coating with a tiny piece of meat inside. I can't imagine ever going into a Popeyes again.
  • Post #63 - August 26th, 2019, 9:05 pm
    Post #63 - August 26th, 2019, 9:05 pm Post #63 - August 26th, 2019, 9:05 pm
    The boneless chicken wing is an abomination of nature and hardly an appropriate dish by which to judge a restaurant.
  • Post #64 - August 27th, 2019, 6:11 am
    Post #64 - August 27th, 2019, 6:11 am Post #64 - August 27th, 2019, 6:11 am
    scottsol wrote:The boneless chicken wing is an abomination of nature and hardly an appropriate dish by which to judge a restaurant.
    I thought the same thing though in a less polite fashion.

    When skunked at Popeye's re new chicken sandwich I had a wing/thigh* about 80% tasty of Popeye's typical offering in Lincolnwood, meaning 50% tasty as Evanston Chicken Shack. :)

    Staff seemed slightly frazzled, in the short time I was there, eating in-house 11am, 20-people came in for a chicken sandwich to which the response on 8.21.19 was we will be restocked in about an hour. 70% turned around and left, 5% stood and argued like idiots, 25% opted for something else. There were also a few large pick-up orders, probably staff lunch at nearby businesses.

    PopeyesChickenP21.jpg Wing, thigh biscuit 8.21.19 Popeye's Lincolnwood


    *What, you thought I left without eating something? :)
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #65 - August 27th, 2019, 6:47 am
    Post #65 - August 27th, 2019, 6:47 am Post #65 - August 27th, 2019, 6:47 am
    So KFC is going all-in on a plant-based version of their chicken. One shop only, starting today in Georgia if my memory is correct.

    These chicken offerings seem to make folks smile and act as a valve-relief for something.

    I have no idea what, but it appears to loom large.


    Details are here.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #66 - August 27th, 2019, 7:30 am
    Post #66 - August 27th, 2019, 7:30 am Post #66 - August 27th, 2019, 7:30 am
    pairs4life wrote:So KFC is going all-in on a plant-based version of their chicken. One shop only, starting today in Georgia if my memory is correct.

    These chicken offerings seem to make folks smile and act as a valve-relief for something.

    I have no idea what, but it appears to loom large.


    Details are here.


    On a recent trip to the Twin Cities I had a faux-fried chicken sandwich from the Herbiverous Butcher (vegan faux meats) which was impressively good. I'm not ready to eliminate meat from my diet just yet, but as the substitutes get better it does make it easier.
  • Post #67 - August 27th, 2019, 10:47 am
    Post #67 - August 27th, 2019, 10:47 am Post #67 - August 27th, 2019, 10:47 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:On a recent trip to the Twin Cities I had a faux-fried chicken sandwich from the Herbiverous Butcher (vegan faux meats) which was impressively good. I'm not ready to eliminate meat from my diet just yet, but as the substitutes get better it does make it easier.

    What I find interesting about all this fake (faux) meat discussion is some think there eating these meat alternatives assuming it is something healthy. Most of these meat alternative creations are mostly soy, fat, salt, and sugar... not anymore healthier than the actual real meat alternative in my opinion. I understand someone wants to eat less meat for moral reasons (IE commercial industrial meat processing/farming) but eating the faux meat thinking they are doing something for there long term health is a misnomer in my opinion.
  • Post #68 - August 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
    Post #68 - August 27th, 2019, 11:02 am Post #68 - August 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
    polster wrote:What I find interesting about all this fake (faux) meat discussion is some think there eating these meat alternatives assuming it is something healthy.


    My only considerations would be environmental and ethical. There is a reason meat is popular, it's delicious and can be part of a healthy diet in moderation. Unfortunately it's not sustainable and the industrial scale production is horrible for the environment.
  • Post #69 - August 27th, 2019, 11:10 am
    Post #69 - August 27th, 2019, 11:10 am Post #69 - August 27th, 2019, 11:10 am
    lougord99 wrote:I just had to give it a try. Went to Morton Grove at 11:15 and figured no problems. Went up to the door and a sign said no chicken sandwiches. I didn't feel like going another place and so went in and ( its been 25 years since I have been inside a Popeyes) looked at the menu and ordered boneless wings. They were tiny, dried out pieces of deep fried coating with a tiny piece of meat inside. I can't imagine ever going into a Popeyes again.
    Based on you haven't gone to a Popeye's in 25 years tells me that Popeye's is never going to be for you. I love Popeye's, and although it can be very inconsistent depending on the location you eat at around the country, it's when everything is on point that makes me a fan for life. I will never hold a bad experience at one Popeye's against all locations. That being said I never liked their chicken tenders and I don't dare order boneless wings there. I could have ordered a new chicken sandwich a couple of weeks ago when my brother tried the spicy one but I didn't. I honestly didn't think it would be anything special. He really liked it, so I was going to get it another time. I can't believe the sensation this has caused.

    It does make me laugh seeing people like lougord99 who never go to Popeye's suddenly come back and then quickly get turned off again. Popeye's service usually is slow and lousy. For that alone people will not return. But they have one bad experience and ALL Popeye's are bad. I completely disagree. I almost think they could consider having a Popeye's Express version of the restaurant that has everything except the chicken on the bone. Then things would be more like a Chick-Fil-A operation.
  • Post #70 - August 27th, 2019, 11:31 am
    Post #70 - August 27th, 2019, 11:31 am Post #70 - August 27th, 2019, 11:31 am
    Ram4 wrote:I almost think they could consider having a Popeye's Express version of the restaurant that has everything except the chicken on the bone. Then things would be more like a Chick-Fil-A operation.


    Endemic poor service is a product of corporate culture. Limiting the menu would simply make the problems even more frustrating.
  • Post #71 - August 27th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Post #71 - August 27th, 2019, 12:00 pm Post #71 - August 27th, 2019, 12:00 pm
    My biggest surprise from all this hoopla is how many people had never eaten Popeyes. The chicken is good and the red beans and rice and cajun rice bring me happiness.
  • Post #72 - August 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm
    Post #72 - August 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm Post #72 - August 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm
    lougord99 wrote:I just had to give it a try. Went to Morton Grove at 11:15 and figured no problems. Went up to the door and a sign said no chicken sandwiches. I didn't feel like going another place and so went in and ( its been 25 years since I have been inside a Popeyes) looked at the menu and ordered boneless wings. They were tiny, dried out pieces of deep fried coating with a tiny piece of meat inside. I can't imagine ever going into a Popeyes again.


    If you think boneless chicken wings are *supposed* to be good we can not be friends.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #73 - August 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm
    Post #73 - August 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm Post #73 - August 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm
    I hit the Popeye's in Ogilvie train station once in a while - 2 spicy breasts /cajun rice/bisquit lunch as a norm. The food is excellent and the service is spotty but functional. Haven't gotten over there for the sandwich yet, but I will need lunch tomorrow! I also hit Gus's and Budlong on occasion, but Popeye's just has that draw - like the Taco Hell and White Castle craves....

    Also, I think it's hard to get consistent help when they make min wage and have a myriad of possibilities to work if they will come downtown. In 12 years of daily lunches, there are very few (if any) places that I see the same faces behind the counter on a regular basis. Discussing this with a few of the owners I have gotten to know, it is easily their most difficult part of the business.
  • Post #74 - August 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm
    Post #74 - August 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm Post #74 - August 27th, 2019, 2:23 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    polster wrote:What I find interesting about all this fake (faux) meat discussion is some think there eating these meat alternatives assuming it is something healthy.


    My only considerations would be environmental and ethical. There is a reason meat is popular, it's delicious and can be part of a healthy diet in moderation. Unfortunately it's not sustainable and the industrial scale production is horrible for the environment.



    I don’t think anyone walking into Burger King, KFC, White Castle, or any other fast food major chain has healthy eating in their top 3 reasons for eating there.

    They go for convenience and taste primarily, just like everyone eating the animals on the menu.

    I keep seeing folks with critiques of fast food menu items that are vegetarian/vegan raise health concerns.

    Frankly, it is super odd to think vegans, vegetarians, and others deciding to reduce/eliminate their consumption of animals are primarily motivated to do so from a primary motivator of nutrition/health if they even mention an interest in eating an animal-analogue from a fast food joint .-YMMV
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #75 - August 27th, 2019, 4:02 pm
    Post #75 - August 27th, 2019, 4:02 pm Post #75 - August 27th, 2019, 4:02 pm
    Can we take the fake meat discussion to it's own thread? I have no idea why it came up in the first place.
    Last edited by Ram4 on August 27th, 2019, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #76 - August 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm
    Post #76 - August 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm Post #76 - August 27th, 2019, 4:06 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Can we take the fake meat discussion to it's own thread? I don't even know why it came up in the first place.
    Yes please. Its like overhearing my bride and her friends discuss where to get a mani-pedi. I'm glad it makes them happy but I have little interest in the discussion.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #77 - August 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm
    Post #77 - August 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm Post #77 - August 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Can we take the fake meat discussion to it's own thread? I don't even know why it came up in the first place.
    Yes please. Its like overhearing my bride and her friends discuss where to get a mani-pedi. I'm glad it makes them happy but I have little interest in the discussion.


    Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it.
  • Post #78 - August 27th, 2019, 4:21 pm
    Post #78 - August 27th, 2019, 4:21 pm Post #78 - August 27th, 2019, 4:21 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Can we take the fake meat discussion to it's own thread? I don't even know why it came up in the first place.
    Yes please. Its like overhearing my bride and her friends discuss where to get a mani-pedi. I'm glad it makes them happy but I have little interest in the discussion.


    Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it.
    Fine, except this is a Popeye's thread.
  • Post #79 - August 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm
    Post #79 - August 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm Post #79 - August 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm
    Please, everyone, let's get back to the topic at hand, Popeye's.

    Thanks,

    =R=
    for the Moderators
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #80 - August 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    Post #80 - August 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm Post #80 - August 27th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    scottsol wrote:
    G Wiv wrote: Its like overhearing my bride and her friends discuss where to get a mani-pedi. I'm glad it makes them happy but I have little interest in the discussion.


    Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it.
    Fine, except this is a Popeye's thread.


    No doubt, but where else on LTH can we discuss mani-pedis?
  • Post #81 - August 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm
    Post #81 - August 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm Post #81 - August 27th, 2019, 4:40 pm
    The line at the California & Diversey store was only out to the edge of the parking lot earlier today and not spilling out onto the street. But, from what I could tell, no chicken sandwiches available until tomorrow.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #82 - August 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm
    Post #82 - August 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm Post #82 - August 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm
    Popeye's announces they have sold out; some stores *may* still have product but will be out by end of the week.

    “As a result, Popeyes restaurants across the country are expected to sell out of the Chicken Sandwich by the end of the week,” spokeswoman Brooke Scher Mogan said in a statement."

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/popeyes ... month.html
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #83 - August 28th, 2019, 10:38 am
    Post #83 - August 28th, 2019, 10:38 am Post #83 - August 28th, 2019, 10:38 am
    Yesterday afternoon on my drive home, i stopped at a Popeyes at a gas station in Indiana. There were about 3 people ahead of me and none of them ordered the chicken sandwich so I had no issues with availability or long lines. I ordered 2 spicy and 1 classic. I was surprised at the quality and size of the sandwich given the price. The chicken breast was moist and had a substantial amount of batter and had a very crunchy exterior (which I really enjoy). The brioche bun did a great job of containing the chicken did not fall apart. My only complaint is that the spicy chicken barely had any spice to it- part of me wonders if they just gave me all classic sandwiches. I also would have liked more pickles to help offset the richness of the sandwich. Fingers crossed that it becomes a regular item as I would surely buy it again.
  • Post #84 - August 28th, 2019, 10:42 am
    Post #84 - August 28th, 2019, 10:42 am Post #84 - August 28th, 2019, 10:42 am
    buttercream wrote:My only complaint is that the spicy chicken barely had any spice to it- part of me wonders if they just gave me all classic sandwiches.

    Maybe so. I was actually surprised by how much heat the spicy chicken sandwich delivered. I rarely hit Popeye's these days but with one just blocks from my house, if this were a regular item, I'd likely get one a few times a year.

    =R=
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #85 - August 28th, 2019, 12:38 pm
    Post #85 - August 28th, 2019, 12:38 pm Post #85 - August 28th, 2019, 12:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    buttercream wrote:My only complaint is that the spicy chicken barely had any spice to it- part of me wonders if they just gave me all classic sandwiches.

    Maybe so. I was actually surprised by how much heat the spicy chicken sandwich delivered. I rarely hit Popeye's these days but with one just blocks from my house, if this were a regular item, I'd likely get one a few times a year.

    =R=


    Hmmm, perhaps i'll stop by the same location today and see if they still have sandwiches and try for the spicy again. Spice or no spice though, it was very tasty.
  • Post #86 - August 28th, 2019, 3:50 pm
    Post #86 - August 28th, 2019, 3:50 pm Post #86 - August 28th, 2019, 3:50 pm
    buttercream wrote:Fingers crossed that it becomes a regular item as I would surely buy it again.
    They sold out across the country and people are raving about it. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's going on the menu permanently! Plus they tweeted that once they get more sandwiches in restaurants, they are here "to stay."
  • Post #87 - August 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Post #87 - August 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm Post #87 - August 28th, 2019, 5:56 pm
    Re meat:
    spinynorman99 wrote:Unfortunately it's not sustainable

    I think it would be more accurate to say most industrial-scale meat production, in the US as well as many other countries, is not sustainable. That does not mean it cannot be sustainable if the necessary effort is put in.

    In Ireland, for example, more than 50,000 beef farms, accounting for 90% of beef production, have signed up to sustainability standards and are regularly audited for compliance. More than 17,000 dairy farms have recently signed up to the same standards and are currently going through their first audit cycle. (Most Irish beef is grass-fed, by the way). Lamb farming in Ireland is also being incorporated into this new sustainability initiative. More info here: http://www.irishbeefusa.com/sustainability/

    What's all this to us---beyond the fact that a handful of sustainable Irish beef producers have already been USDA certified---? It is doable.

    No less a champion of the natural world than the World Wildlife Fund says that beef production can be sustainable and contribute to environmental conservation: "There are many ways beef production—when sustainably managed—can achieve conservation benefits. Grazing maintains the health of grasslands, improves soil quality with manure, and preserves open space and wildlife habitat. Additionally, carbon is sequestered in the grasses and soils of grazing lands ... WWF envisions a global marketplace in which all beef is sustainable. By working with producers as well as companies and their supply chains to improve the sustainability of beef production, WWF is helping ensure that consumers have choices for a safe, affordable and sustainable diet."

    Now chickens... I don't know. But let's do talk about sustainable meat production and consumption in this thread or elsewhere.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #88 - August 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm
    Post #88 - August 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm Post #88 - August 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Please, everyone, let's get back to the topic at hand, Popeye's.

    Thanks,

    =R=
    for the Moderators

    Katie wrote:But let's do talk about sustainable meat production and consumption in this thread or elsewhere.

    Again, not here, please.

    =R=
    for the Moderators
    There are many things that are legal that are not a great idea --Nick Shabazz

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #89 - August 28th, 2019, 7:20 pm
    Post #89 - August 28th, 2019, 7:20 pm Post #89 - August 28th, 2019, 7:20 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Again, not here, please.


    Nobody Puts Katie in a Corner . . .
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #90 - August 28th, 2019, 7:31 pm
    Post #90 - August 28th, 2019, 7:31 pm Post #90 - August 28th, 2019, 7:31 pm
    Perhaps not, but you may end up there.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more