LTH Home

Trader Joe's suggestions

Trader Joe's suggestions
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - April 13th, 2017, 7:17 am
    Post #61 - April 13th, 2017, 7:17 am Post #61 - April 13th, 2017, 7:17 am
    Trader Joe's has discontinued their kouign amanns. However, they recently introduced canneles. (Don't blame me, that's how they spell them.) They're okay for convenience, but they won't come anywhere close to freshly made ones. Also, like some of their other products, their thawing/heating instructions are just plain wrong. They say to thaw them for twenty minutes, and serve. At room temperature, they take at least 45 minutes to thaw. I find that after that point, they improve a bit by warming them a few minutes in the toaster oven.

That's a downside with TJ's; they often discontinue their products. I still miss their frozen ableskiver (package labeled as "Danish pancakes").

BTW, I really love their frozen macarons. They come in several varieties, but my favorites are the chocolate and vanilla combo.
    Last edited by nsxtasy on April 13th, 2017, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #62 - April 13th, 2017, 7:32 am
    Post #62 - April 13th, 2017, 7:32 am Post #62 - April 13th, 2017, 7:32 am
    I love the Trader Joe's "Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend". It's great on steamed veggies, but I especially enjoyed it on scrambled eggs with goat cheese.
  • Post #63 - April 13th, 2017, 7:36 am
    Post #63 - April 13th, 2017, 7:36 am Post #63 - April 13th, 2017, 7:36 am
    BR wrote:After reading this Bon Appetit article about Trader Joe's butter from Brittany, I decided to buy some. My first statement is that I wish I could have purchased an unsalted version for baking, but apparently they only sell the salted version. But I was impressed by how good this butter tasted. I'm constantly on the lookout for artisanal butters, particularly local ones, but this tasted better than any of the ones I've tried to date.

Because it is salted, I'll have limited opportunities to use it when baking, but I will definitely be buying a lot more of this butter. I'd be curious to hear others' opinions after tasting it, particularly if you (like me) have also tried many of the artisanal butters available locally, including farmers' markets.

When I first started baking I only used salted butter, and now I am taking a different tact and unless the butter tastes super salty I am using it again in baking. So far so good.

Thanks for the tip.
    Perhaps when I return my truffled cheese with anchovies I can pick some up.

EDITED: At $10/lb this probably will remain a condiment butter for me.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #64 - April 26th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Post #64 - April 26th, 2017, 4:28 pm Post #64 - April 26th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    BR is right about that TJ's cultured butter. But that's the problem with TJ's , when you fall for a product it's like falling for that person you know darn well is going to make you cry because they leave, that is unless you are able to treat their products like Stella getting her groove and simply enjoy them while they are available, no strings attached.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #65 - April 26th, 2017, 8:43 pm
    Post #65 - April 26th, 2017, 8:43 pm Post #65 - April 26th, 2017, 8:43 pm
    pairs4life wrote:BR is right about that TJ's cultured butter. But that's the problem with TJ's , when you fall for a product it's like falling for that person you know darn well is going to make you cry because they leave, that is unless you are able to treat their products like Stella getting her groove and simply enjoy them while they are available, no strings attached.

On the plus side, while I like it more than Plugra, I find Plugra to be an outstanding and consistent product.
  • Post #66 - April 26th, 2017, 10:15 pm
    Post #66 - April 26th, 2017, 10:15 pm Post #66 - April 26th, 2017, 10:15 pm
    BR wrote:On the plus side, while I like it more than Plugra, I find Plugra to be an outstanding and consistent product.

Yep. For baking, and many cooking applications, I would stick with Plugra or Kerrygold or even LOL European-Style, but for bread or any place you would add butter as a condiment, like a baked potato, this TJ's is a treat.

• Post #67 - April 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm
    Post #67 - April 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm Post #67 - April 28th, 2017, 3:44 pm
    pairs4life wrote:BR is right about that TJ's cultured butter.

Agree, TJ's cultured salted butter is terrific. $2.99 for 8.8oz at the Park Ridge Trader Joe's

TJButter.jpg Trader Jacques Cultured Salted Butter
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #68 - May 1st, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Post #68 - May 1st, 2017, 1:22 pm Post #68 - May 1st, 2017, 1:22 pm
    I'm a fan of the frozen paella, which I think makes a good lunch (if I eat both servings as one).
  • Post #69 - October 19th, 2019, 7:25 am
    Post #69 - October 19th, 2019, 7:25 am Post #69 - October 19th, 2019, 7:25 am
    Former site of Treasure Island...
    Trader Joe’s In Hyde Park Is Now Open, Delighting South Side Fans Of The Grocery Chain Who Used To Travel Miles To Shop There
    HYDE PARK — Spending an hour grocery shopping isn’t most people’s idea of a good time; it probably means you couldn’t find what you needed, or you have a major case of the munchies.

But on Friday morning, some South Siders were willing to wait that long in line just to get inside the new Hyde Park Trader Joe’s, which opened for business at 1526 E. 55th St.
  • Post #70 - October 24th, 2019, 6:46 pm
    Post #70 - October 24th, 2019, 6:46 pm Post #70 - October 24th, 2019, 6:46 pm
    Artie wrote: Former site of Treasure Island...
    Trader Joe’s In Hyde Park Is Now Open, Delighting South Side Fans Of The Grocery Chain Who Used To Travel Miles To Shop There {Block Club Chicago quote snipped to avoid potential copyright issue.}
    Artie, I was looking up Trader Joe's locations for its forthcoming offer of Trader Joe's 2019 Vintage Ale :D - by Unibroue of Quebec, Canada. (Maybe as early as next Friday.) The map finally illustrated {still on v.92 :cry:}, and it indicated this: This is the closest Trader Joe's to the northwest Indiana suburbs of Chicago. :!: There are no Trader Joe's stores in northwest Indiana. So it wouldn't surprise me that a portion of the people queuing up to go in are from there.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #71 - October 25th, 2019, 8:37 am
    Post #71 - October 25th, 2019, 8:37 am Post #71 - October 25th, 2019, 8:37 am
    pudgym29 wrote:This is the closest Trader Joe's to the northwest Indiana suburbs of Chicago. :!: There are no Trader Joe's stores in northwest Indiana. So it wouldn't surprise me that a portion of the people queuing up to go in are from there. [/color]
    For years several cities have been trying to get TJ to open a store out here to no avail. Homewood even encouraged their residents write TJ on their own in hopes of convincing them. Schererville,In managed to get a Whole Foods built so there definitely is a market here for higher end markets.
  • Post #72 - October 25th, 2019, 9:34 am
    Post #72 - October 25th, 2019, 9:34 am Post #72 - October 25th, 2019, 9:34 am
    Artie wrote:Former site of Treasure Island...

Former Hyde Park Co-op if you go back far enough.

Hated that place. Overpriced. All of the produce was on a tray and wrapped in cellophane. That made it possible to wrap it with the rotten side down.
    Only grocery store in walking distance for most of Hyde Park, and they took massive advantage of it.
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #73 - October 26th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Post #73 - October 26th, 2019, 11:44 am Post #73 - October 26th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Giovanna wrote:
    Artie wrote:Former site of Treasure Island...

Former Hyde Park Co-op if you go back far enough.

Hated that place. Overpriced. All of the produce was on a tray and wrapped in cellophane. That made it possible to wrap it with the rotten side down.
    Only grocery store in walking distance for most of Hyde Park, and they took massive advantage of it.

I liked Hyde Park Co-op when it was on 47th st. Perhaps for the reasons you mentioned I have absolutely no recollection of them being on 55th.
  • Post #74 - October 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    Post #74 - October 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm Post #74 - October 26th, 2019, 5:36 pm
    I remember the one on 55th. I used to walk there from my grandparents apartment at 53rd and Harper.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #75 - December 13th, 2019, 10:55 am
    Post #75 - December 13th, 2019, 10:55 am Post #75 - December 13th, 2019, 10:55 am
    HI,

I stopped into Trader Joe's for naan for Saturday's program.

I always check the cheese, I bought one which may send me back to the store sooner than later: Delice de Bourgogne. This is a very soft, almost drippy cheese.

I started with a bit on a cracker, then kept returning to collect more.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #76 - December 14th, 2019, 7:41 am
    Post #76 - December 14th, 2019, 7:41 am Post #76 - December 14th, 2019, 7:41 am
    On a cracker; on a chair;
    I would eat it anywhere.

On toasted bread that’s savory;
    Add Fig Jam and DdB.

With some fruit; with some meat.
    DdB is quite a treat.

Heat it gently; eat it cool.
    DdB will make you drool.

At Trader Joe's it costs much less;
    Go out and save; come home and fress!
  • Post #77 - December 14th, 2019, 9:17 am
    Post #77 - December 14th, 2019, 9:17 am Post #77 - December 14th, 2019, 9:17 am
    Ha ha ha! Delightfult tribute to a delice.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #78 - July 30th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    Post #78 - July 30th, 2020, 2:40 pm Post #78 - July 30th, 2020, 2:40 pm
    Hi,

I bought a bag of frozen chopped spinach where the bits of spinach were individually frozen. The bits look like they have been squeezed of excess water, so they are ready to go as-is.

Maybe it is elsewhere and I did not pay attention, but frozen bits of spinach is a great idea. You make something that needs less than a pound of spinach and you don't have it fresh, then it just might not make it into the dish.

You need three ounces of this individually frozen spinach, then eyeball, measure or weigh, and throw it in the dish.

You could even make it yourself by cooking spinach, draining and plopping on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, package and use.

In any case, homemade or bought, I think individually frozen bits of spinach may be a new resident in the kitchen freezer.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #79 - July 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm
    Post #79 - July 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm Post #79 - July 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I bought a bag of frozen chopped spinach where the bits of spinach were individually frozen. The bits look like they have been squeezed of excess water, so they are ready to go as-is.

Maybe it is elsewhere and I did not pay attention, but frozen bits of spinach is a great idea. You make something that needs less than a pound of spinach and you don't have it fresh, then it just might not make it into the dish.

You need three ounces of this individually frozen spinach, then eyeball, measure or weigh, and throw it in the dish.

You could even make it yourself by cooking spinach, draining and plopping on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, package and use.

In any case, homemade or bought, I think individually frozen bits of spinach may be a new resident in the kitchen freezer.

In the trade, this is referred to as IQF . . . individually quick frozen. As it pertains to spinach, it sounds very convenient. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #80 - July 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm
    Post #80 - July 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm Post #80 - July 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm
    DdB used to be a regular at our Costco in Montréal, C2. Then it disappeared. I've found a sort-of replacement at Murray's: fromager d'affinois. Not as drippy, but still awfully rich and creamy, and at a good price point.

Geo

https://www.murrayscheese.com/fromager-daffinois
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #81 - July 2nd, 2022, 6:11 am
    Post #81 - July 2nd, 2022, 6:11 am Post #81 - July 2nd, 2022, 6:11 am
    ImageWe have become addicted to these. Small chocolate cones ( about 5 inches long) with a thin layer of chocolate inside the cone. There is a dollop of ice cream ( different flavors available ) on top and the ice cream is dipped into chocolate.

If you eat just 1, the calories do not count ( but you cannot eat just 1). I cannot even envision the machine that makes these.
  • Post #82 - August 15th, 2022, 1:14 pm
    Post #82 - August 15th, 2022, 1:14 pm Post #82 - August 15th, 2022, 1:14 pm
    Https://youtu.be/UwXjNRA0KwE
  • Post #83 - August 15th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    Post #83 - August 15th, 2022, 3:24 pm Post #83 - August 15th, 2022, 3:24 pm
    It is simply magic to me that someone can create this machine.

Thank You for the link.
  • Post #84 - August 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm
    Post #84 - August 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm Post #84 - August 15th, 2022, 4:39 pm
    Didn't know about this thread, so posted elsewhere about this -- but my latest TJ's discovery is Greek Chickpeas with Parsley and Cumin. A splendid treat, especially when one needs to eat but doesn't have time to cook.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #85 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm
    Post #85 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm Post #85 - September 2nd, 2022, 2:15 pm
    G Wiv wrote:

Agree, TJ's cultured salted butter is terrific. $2.99 for 8.8oz at the Park Ridge Trader Joe's

DISCONTINUED :x
  • Post #86 - September 3rd, 2022, 9:26 am
    Post #86 - September 3rd, 2022, 9:26 am Post #86 - September 3rd, 2022, 9:26 am
    cilantro wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

DISCONTINUED :x

Grrr. So, that's why I haven't seen it around recently.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more