LTH Home

I've joined the "I loathe Dominick's" crowd

I've joined the "I loathe Dominick's" crowd
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 19 of 19 
  • Post #541 - May 13th, 2019, 1:47 pm
    Post #541 - May 13th, 2019, 1:47 pm Post #541 - May 13th, 2019, 1:47 pm
    A LA Fitness and a "boutique" grocery store are coming to the old Dominick's location at Route 59 and 95th street in Naperville. I drove by yesterday and they've already started the demolition.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #542 - December 11th, 2019, 8:51 am
    Post #542 - December 11th, 2019, 8:51 am Post #542 - December 11th, 2019, 8:51 am
    Six years after Dominick’s shuttered its South Shore supermarket, leaving a swath of the neighborhood in a food desert, a new grocery store is finally opening in its place.
    Local Market, a new concept from the owners of independent supermarket chain Shop & Save, is set to open Wednesday in the Jeffery Plaza shopping center at 71st Street and Jeffery Boulevard

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #543 - December 13th, 2019, 9:31 am
    Post #543 - December 13th, 2019, 9:31 am Post #543 - December 13th, 2019, 9:31 am
    Late-last-night-on the way home
    from Moody Tongue's new BrewHouse/Bar/Oysta'
    Restaurant- I stopped at The South Loop Mariano's.
    Then this morning was at Pete's Fresh Market-
    and the PRICE comparisons-
    are OUTRAGEOUS......

$2.49 lb Michigan Honey Crisp Apples
    v.
    99¢ lb. @ Pete's Fresh Market

Small Red Grapes from S. America
    $3.49 lb.
    v.
    $1.99 lb. @ Pete's

Beyond Meat Burgers-
    $7.99
    v.
    $5.99
    @ Pete's
    and the list goes on!

Kroger's a Rip-off-
    Pete's Fresh Market- is an
    under-appreciated Chicagoland "gem"... :D
    Treasure Island + Fresh Farms +Trader Joe's Inventory/Product Selection/Quality-
    at
    ALDI- price points.

Screw Marianos'!
  • Post #544 - December 13th, 2019, 9:44 am
    Post #544 - December 13th, 2019, 9:44 am Post #544 - December 13th, 2019, 9:44 am
    Hombre de Acero wrote:Pete's Fresh Market- is an
    under-appreciated Chicagoland "gem"... :D
    Treasure Island + Fresh Farms +Trader Joe's Inventory/Product Selection/Quality-
    at
    ALDI- price points.

I would go to Pete's if they were closer. As is I am quite pleased with Fresh Farm's Niles. Speaking of Aldi, I try to like Aldi, have gone there a few times in the last month, they are across from Costco gas in Niles, as recently as a few days ago. I can't seem to appreciate Aldi. Also, bag of potatoes I bought were half broken, literally broken, very dirty and the veg seem to wither really quick. Good deals on crackers though. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #545 - December 13th, 2019, 9:45 am
    Post #545 - December 13th, 2019, 9:45 am Post #545 - December 13th, 2019, 9:45 am
    An even better deal: Beyond Burgers at Costco - 8 for $14.99.
  • Post #546 - December 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm
    Post #546 - December 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm Post #546 - December 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm
    Pete's is absolutely an underappreciated gem, and when I've lived nearer to their stores, I've made them a regular stop. I see them as what every neighborhood ethnic produce mart dreams about being when they grow up. I wish they had a dozen more city locations, but they seem to be focused on the suburbs at the moment:

'Who has this much kombucha?' Pete’s Fresh Market charts ambitious suburban expansion.
  • Post #547 - December 14th, 2019, 12:15 am
    Post #547 - December 14th, 2019, 12:15 am Post #547 - December 14th, 2019, 12:15 am
    Pete's is not in the Northern suburbs though are they? Concerning Aldi's, I don't love them as much as some people here do. There produce is better than it used to be, but seven months out of the year, I buy almost all of my produce at the Evanston farmer's market, and if you hit the sales at Jewel you do okay. Right now Jewel has Cosmic Crisp and Honeycrip apples on sale for $1.99, and I bought a five pound bag of clementine s for $2.99 last week. I also bought a carton of minute maid OJ for $2.64. I had a special price on Just4U. Currently Jewel has Tropicana on sale for $1.99. Two weeks ago at Jewel I saved 76% by using my Just4U. I got Hills Brothers coffee for $2.99, sugar for $.50, two jars of peter pan peanut butter for $1.43, and four 2 liter bottles of 7 up for $.58 a piece Usually I don't save that much, but I often save 40% at Jewel. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #548 - December 14th, 2019, 12:28 am
    Post #548 - December 14th, 2019, 12:28 am Post #548 - December 14th, 2019, 12:28 am
    I just went to Pete's website to look up locations, and the closest location to me is 2300 W. Madison. All of their locations seem to be in W or S Chicago, or in the Western, or South Western suburbs.
  • Post #549 - December 14th, 2019, 9:20 am
    Post #549 - December 14th, 2019, 9:20 am Post #549 - December 14th, 2019, 9:20 am
    I just went to Pete's website to look up locations, and the closest location to me is 2300 W. Madison. All of their locations seem to be in W or S Chicago, or in the Western, or South Western suburbs.

According to my inside sources @ Pete's ;
    Jimmy Dremonas's (Pete's Owner/Founder) expansion plans
    are based on an "unwritten" agreement w/ Cermak Produce
    and other-Chicago-area-based-grocers that he
    will "take" the area South & West in Chicago.
    :roll: + 8)
    Another interesting factoid- is when Jimmy looks to expand-
    he will only consider Properties that he can "own"-
    he doesn't like to pay rent- and will often buy a property that includes other income producing buildings on the site he can develop.
    Sounds-like-a-VERY-SMART-Greek-American-Businessman- to me!
    If ya need "proof" of his business acumen-look no further than the value of his home in The Gold Coast,
    https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018/05/22/historic-gold-coast-home-hits-market-for-22m/

Pete's Fresh Market has so many
    of the items a Foodie/Food-Centric/Chef/Globally-minded-Eater
    wants/needs that it's worth a trip- where else can you find Fresh Curry leaves in the Produce section- house-made- Lamb-"Hot-Links" sausages,12 types of Basmati Rice in Bulk,a huge Hot-Foods section, amazingly well priced Organic Produce, as well as a "bespoke"Fresh-Juice Bar, that'll extract anything- ya see in the store to make yer Juice!?

Take-THAT-Mariano's /Dominck's/ KROGER!
    :P
  • Post #550 - February 4th, 2020, 10:23 pm
    Post #550 - February 4th, 2020, 10:23 pm Post #550 - February 4th, 2020, 10:23 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: Woo. Nobody else has remarked that the former Dominick's @ Milwaukee | Devon | Nagle in Chicago reopened as a "Shop & Save Market"? [6312 N. Nagle Ave.]
    We've been getting its flyer in our Red-something-or-another packets for the last four weeks. Nothing exemplary as far as pricing goes. [edit]
    pudgym29 wrote: I love quoting myself! :D
    But, the reason I reply is, if you read the above text, back in 2015, the complaint was we weren't getting the ads from grocery stores which should have been appealing to us | me.
    In 2019, with my dad having bit the dust, the complaint is amended to that I am not getting the Red-something-or-another [which itself is now amended to Retail-Me-Not] dropped on the stoop here at the abode (on **** - you can ask - and I'll reply that the abode adjacent to me on the east gets it%), and it seems that I cannot opt-IN to the ad servers. Yes - maybe because I do not subscribe to the Chicago Tri**** (and I never shall), it has decided I do not get the weekly Wednesday advertisement section. -It seemingly has no problem with leaving copies of "Hoy"#, its Spanish-language publication-, which is where I scrounged those coupons for Cheez-Its.
    I've tried calling the phone number to opt-OUT of getting the sale flyers.
    But I want to opt-IN. Seemingly, this has not worked. I still view the Wednesday flyers on the house adjacent to ours.
    Can any of you come up with a telephone number I can call to get ON the list of the Chicago addresses getting the Wednesday flyers?

% = The house just east of here no longer gets the Wednesday flyer. I now attempt to scrounge it from an address further west on the same block ending in __43, whose abode has been unoccupied for years, but it still gets the weekly Wednesday flyer. :P
    # = "Hoy" bit the dust. Now, it is something called "Fin de Semana" {"End of the Week", if my Spanish-via-Latin high school education is still valid.}. It is just me (and my cat Mirko) at this address, but this deliverer leaves three bags of "Fin de Semana", and there is usually two copies of the rag inside each plastic bag. I wonder if this is for circulation numbers? :?:
    I may set a record here on LTHF for quoting myself in the same thread. :?
    The snag originally reported in 2015 is still in effect. Yes, I might admit to walking the streets west of here and scrounging the Wednesday flyer from other addresses which I know are unoccupied. If whoever servicing the same block can leave a copy at these other addresses, why can't they leave at least one here? :arrow: Again, how do I OPT-IN?
    I will try calling Valassis' 1-800 number. However, I submit it will mostly try to convince me (or my corporation) to advertise with it.
    The insideshopper .com W-WW site goes nowhere for me.
    I'll pull back the curtain a little more to tell you about this afternoon.
    If you read my post about Buona Beef on the Italian beef thread, I mention skipping off to Jewel on the CTA transit bus. The expiring coupons had been clipped from one of the RetailMeNot flyers I had previously grommed from an address ending in 43 :!: They were for four cans of Pringles potato crisps, and five Lean Cuisine frozen dinners. The sale at Jewel ended today. N.B.: I don't have next week's RetailMeNot flyer. I don't know if I will go out trying to scrounge one on Wednesday.
    The Jewel is @ 4660 W. Irving Park Rd. However - since it is not a good idea to shop on an empty stomach, I opted to preface this episode by eating at Roma on N. Cicero Ave. [Photographs were taken. Not yet uploaded.]
    As I walked back south from Roma to the Jewel-Osco, I strolled by a few houses on the east side of Cicero Ave., and espied other copies of RetailMeNot strewn on the lawn and | or walkway in front. O.K., I'll admit I grommed two copies from two addresses.
    Amazingly, these copies were from 15 & 22 January, but they still had value for me. The coupons for Burger King, White Castle, Church's, Wendy's, and McDonald's :!: (McD's seldom has paper coupons.) were in these bags. I ponder if the Church's coupons are the replacement for Popeye's coupons: Parent management is closely affiliated. (Oh - and there were more Kentucky Fried Chicken coupons as well, but KFC is one of the few which stuffs the weekend "Fin de Semana" rag with coupons.) Lucidly, these addresses were to unoccupied domiciles. But they still got the Wednesday flyers. And I still do not!
    This had better change soon.
    {exhales}
    Oh, thank you for reminding me. Hombre de Acero, you need to check the prices at Food4Less in addition to those for Mariano's and Pete's Fresh Market. Food4Less is Kroger's lower-class store in its corporate chain. It probably has a number of shared foodstuffs, but they will be much more inexpensive at Food4Less. If you do drive an automobile, the Food4Less gas station is very competitively priced, particularly compared with Thornton's gas station. {Check the stretch of S. Cicero Ave. between Cermak Rd. & 31st St., which has both.}
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #551 - June 2nd, 2020, 6:32 am
    Post #551 - June 2nd, 2020, 6:32 am Post #551 - June 2nd, 2020, 6:32 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Six years after Dominick’s shuttered its South Shore supermarket, leaving a swath of the neighborhood in a food desert, a new grocery store is finally opening in its place.
    Local Market, a new concept from the owners of independent supermarket chain Shop & Save, is set to open Wednesday in the Jeffery Plaza shopping center at 71st Street and Jeffery Boulevard

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

This store opening on the south side was a big deal last December. It is rebranded part of the Shop and Save family of stores. It had a less ethnic feel than its Shop and Save siblings.

I visited it when it first opened. I made the mistake of wearing an apron having just come from a Culinary Historians meeting. I did not even think about it, until people kept asking me how to use some ingredients in the vegetable and meat department areas.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #552 - January 17th, 2021, 1:31 am
    Post #552 - January 17th, 2021, 1:31 am Post #552 - January 17th, 2021, 1:31 am
    Does everybody still loathe Dominick's? :P
    There was finally some positive movement at the abode here insofar as I reached the proper person at the Chicago Tri**** who could put me on the weekly delivery list for the Retail Me Not flyer. It has been delivered here for about five months now.
    This past Wednesday (13 January), this week's ads arrived. I inspected it and learned it has print coupons for Burger King printed on its pages. (Other times, the Burger King coupons are a separate glossy page inserted in the package.)
    There were only two copies of the package in the sleeve. Other BK coupons expired on the 10th, so I opted to try and find other packages this week.
    I had an appointment with my medical prescriber (at N. Milwaukee & W. Agatite) on Thursday, so instead of strolling the block here, I rode the #54 Cicero bus north to Pensacola and walked west on Pensacola to Milwaukee Ave. Yes, there are unoccupied domiciles on Pensacola receiving this package. (How can I tell they are unoccupied? If there was somebody living there, the package would have been taken in before Thursday. If anything, I am doing whoever represents the property a favor by removing a lucid sign it is unoccupied.) I grommed two more packages.
    I got back home and took these flyers out of the sleeve.
    There were two surprises.
    ① The domiciles on this block get a grocery ad from Butera, due to its locations in Norridge & Harwood Heights. It appears it has a connection with Piggly Wiggly stores in Wisconsin. Also, its Tony's Fresh Market ad depicts only the two stores on Fullerton Ave. and @ 4608 W. Belmont. Most Tony's flyers show the other 14 locations, including 5630 W. Belmont.
    ② The print pages of this flyer, besides the BK coupons, had coupons for Brown's Chicken. As far as I recall, it has not reopened a shop at Lawrence & Central, which would be geographically close enough for this block. The Brown's locations were shown as Elk Grove Village, Northbrook, Skokie, Melrose Park {w| video gaming}, and Palatine! :!: :shock:
    I'll leave it at that. I won't scribe anything if it doesn't want to remark. Then again, I tend to have a really good memory of history, particularly that involving indoor soccer. :wink:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more