LTH Home

Rancho Gordo [type] beans

Rancho Gordo [type] beans
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 15th, 2020, 12:07 am
    Post #61 - January 15th, 2020, 12:07 am Post #61 - January 15th, 2020, 12:07 am
    gastro gnome wrote:I think it's been mentioned here before but there is an active Bean Club Facebook Group. Someone has shared a time guideline for Instapot/Pressure Cooker times.

I often soak and pour off excess soaking water and then use it for cooking in my pressure cooker. I find if I cook with fresh water as is often directed, the resulting pot liquor needs salt. So I cut out the middleman. I typically save this and, as Darren suggests, use it as stock (often in finishing the beans, but also for other uses). I add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and bay to the cooking beans so it actually is a vegetable stock.

Thanks, for posting the guide. I've found it useful, though not always 100% accurate.

I always cook dried beans in their soaking liquid (whether on the stove or in the IP) but I cannot remember where I learned that doing so is a good idea. I rarely have enough space in my fridge to store any surplus soaking liquid (for other uses), though. Can it be stored dry or does it need refrigeration?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - January 15th, 2020, 1:44 pm
    Post #62 - January 15th, 2020, 1:44 pm Post #62 - January 15th, 2020, 1:44 pm
    Gastro gnome, I appreciate the chart. I have never soaked the beans prior to cooking in the Instant Pot. I cooked for about 30 min and I see from your chart that I can try dropping ten minutes off that time. I didn't think to join the Rancho Gordo FB group either. Thanks all!
  • Post #63 - January 15th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Post #63 - January 15th, 2020, 2:07 pm Post #63 - January 15th, 2020, 2:07 pm
    Yes, I do not think the chart always works 100% of the time for me, but it's a good starting place.

I soak the beans because I've found more consistent results in getting them to stay intact after cooking.
  • Post #64 - January 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    Post #64 - January 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm Post #64 - January 15th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    gastro gnome wrote:I soak the beans because I've found more consistent results in getting them to stay intact after cooking.

I soak if I have time because I mainly cook on the stove top these days and soaking produces more predictable results. But I agree with you that soaking also results in more textural variations and less mushiness within the beans themselves (i.e. skins stay intact, etc.)

That said, more than a few bean producers have advised that I should never soak or ever need to soak.

=R=
  • Post #65 - March 16th, 2020, 4:27 pm
    Post #65 - March 16th, 2020, 4:27 pm Post #65 - March 16th, 2020, 4:27 pm
    As a RG bean club member, we just received an email from the owner, Steve Sando. The COVID-19 fears has caused their business to swamped and taxing on their employees and their supplies. They have been working weekends and added a second shift to keep up. He moved the next shipment to May and asked to please refrain from new orders if you have enough beans to hold you until then.

"We normally get about 150 to 200 orders a day. The number keeps rising and this last week it seems we've hit a crescendo and we haven't had a day with less than a thousand new orders."

Crazy times...
  • Post #66 - May 6th, 2020, 10:31 am
    Post #66 - May 6th, 2020, 10:31 am Post #66 - May 6th, 2020, 10:31 am
    Here's a take on beans from Serious Eats I have not seen, Mapo Beans. ---> Link

Serious Eats has countless bean recipes available. ---> Link
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #67 - November 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm
    Post #67 - November 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm Post #67 - November 22nd, 2020, 3:09 pm
    CBS Sunday Morning did an all-food show today with a little feature on Rancho Gordo:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/heirloom- ... r-mailbox/
  • Post #68 - September 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    Post #68 - September 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm Post #68 - September 5th, 2021, 2:18 pm
    We're heading over to our friends' house tonight and they asked us to bring a pot of beans . . .

Ranch Gordo Rio Zape Beans
    Just like the bag says, they're pinto-like. I also think they're a touch sharper in flavor.

Pre-Soak Sort Out
    They don't really need soaking but when I have plenty of time, I prefer to do it. I ended up soaking them overnight. In any event, first comes a quick sort out. I think these beans are quite beautiful.

Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Smoked/cured pork hock, minced garlic, diced carrot, minced celery ribs & leaves, jalapenos/serranos/bay leaf, red onion, salt, black pepper, evoo and soaked rio zape beans.

I almost always go vegan and minimalist when I cook beans but decided that since it was a special occasion, I'd get a little more elaborate. So, this time, I added the celery, carrot and pork hock, none of which I usually include. The peppers just get slitted and added whole to the simmer, which adds a quiet note of background heat and a subtle layer of flavor. Fwiw, I cook the beans in the soaking water. If I can get a decent shot of the finished pot, I'll circle back and post it.

=R=
  • Post #69 - September 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm
    Post #69 - September 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm Post #69 - September 5th, 2021, 2:47 pm
    Definitely Following.

How'd they taste Ronnie? I did some of these and wasn't satisfied with the result--just not rich and bean-y enough.

: (

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #70 - September 5th, 2021, 3:03 pm
    Post #70 - September 5th, 2021, 3:03 pm Post #70 - September 5th, 2021, 3:03 pm
    Geo wrote:Definitely Following.

How'd they taste Ronnie? I did some of these and wasn't satisfied with the result--just not rich and bean-y enough.

: (

Geo

Honestly, one of the best pots I've ever made. Sorry to hear you didn't have success. What beans did you make? I've never made a pot of RG beans that was disappointing, and I've made dozens and dozens, almost always vegan.

In any case, here's the final result . . .

Pot O' Rio Zape Beans
    Rich, unctuous, smoky and just a bit spicy.

=R=
  • Post #71 - January 11th, 2022, 1:27 pm
    Post #71 - January 11th, 2022, 1:27 pm Post #71 - January 11th, 2022, 1:27 pm
    Bean bounty

Had to laugh this past weekend when my daughter gently advised a bean intervention.

I pleaded that isn't easy to become a Rancho Gordo Bean Club member and there were a few years that I didn't act quickly enough to join. Now that I'm a member, I want to stay a member.

I pointed out that one of these packages was popcorn, another quinoa, but she didn't want to listen.

I quickly made a delicious instant pot of midnight black beans and pledged a resolution to make more beans more often. (No one else eats them, so I have my work cut out for me! :wink: )
  • Post #72 - January 11th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #72 - January 11th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #72 - January 11th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    janeyb -

That's hysterical!
    -Mary
  • Post #73 - January 13th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    Post #73 - January 13th, 2022, 7:37 pm Post #73 - January 13th, 2022, 7:37 pm
    Helluva collection, Janey! But you'd better start whittling it down or you'll get overwhelmed . . . especially if you're the only person in the house who eats them. When I start running long on inventory, I gift a few bags to like-minded friends. They're always appreciative and every so often, I get to try what they made with them, which is always fun.

=R=
  • Post #74 - January 14th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    Post #74 - January 14th, 2022, 12:32 pm Post #74 - January 14th, 2022, 12:32 pm
    Thanks Ronnie,
    Great suggestion. No one in my life loves beans as much as I do and even my vegetarian friends don't make their own.
    I may need to convert a few people though.

Once they use the Instant Pot to cook the Rancho Gordo beans, they will see how easy and how delicious and I think they would be hooked.
  • Post #75 - January 14th, 2022, 1:03 pm
    Post #75 - January 14th, 2022, 1:03 pm Post #75 - January 14th, 2022, 1:03 pm
    Author Naomi Duguid suggests making more beans than needed. She suggested freezing the beans with some liquid in convenient quantities. Instead of reaching for a can, reach into the freezer for cooked beans.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #76 - January 14th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #76 - January 14th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #76 - January 14th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Author Naomi Duguid suggests making more beans than needed. She suggested freezing the beans with some liquid in convenient quantities. Instead of reaching for a can, reach into the freezer for cooked beans.

We dabbled in bean cooking with a one-off order from Rancho Gordo. I cooked up a big pot of some white bean variety. Used some of them and put the rest in the freezer. They made their way in a sausage/bean soup recently.

-Mary
  • Post #77 - January 14th, 2022, 3:56 pm
    Post #77 - January 14th, 2022, 3:56 pm Post #77 - January 14th, 2022, 3:56 pm
    That collection looks lovely, janeyb! But it reminds of times when I've kept beautiful dry beans around for too long and found that sometimes they got so old and dry that they would never soften completely, no matter how much pressure and heat and time I applied. For a while, I gave up buying dry beans completely and stuck to canned. Now when I buy dry beans (which I cook in the IP), I do what Cathy2 suggested---keep an eye on the inventory and occasionally cook up batches with little or no seasoning and freeze them for later use. This option of course requires freezer space, which I have, but I know some don't.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #78 - January 17th, 2022, 1:40 pm
    Post #78 - January 17th, 2022, 1:40 pm Post #78 - January 17th, 2022, 1:40 pm
    Katie wrote:. . . But it reminds of times when I've kept beautiful dry beans around for too long and found that sometimes they got so old and dry that they would never soften completely, no matter how much pressure and heat and time I applied.

I've had this happen with grocery store beans but with Rancho Gordo (or other well curated) beans, this shouldn't be much of a concern at all. They're not going to have been sitting around very long when you receive them. Even when cooking some bags of RG beans that I'd had in my possession for more than 2 years, they're turned out just fine. You may need to soak and/or cook them a bit longer than if you'd cooked them when you first received them but other than that, they should be just fine.

=R=
  • Post #79 - February 26th, 2022, 10:28 am
    Post #79 - February 26th, 2022, 10:28 am Post #79 - February 26th, 2022, 10:28 am
    Not the best looking bowl of food but damn tasty! A friend gifted me a slew of Rancho Gordo beans and I'm putting them to good use. I've cooked lots of beans some RG, some store bought, I'd say I'm an intermittent bean lover. :)

Flor de Mayo with rice, smoked sausage, cherry bomb hot sauce, onions and sour cream.

click to enlarge

Beans, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #80 - September 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    Post #80 - September 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm Post #80 - September 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm
    Cooked an experimental pot of beans today . . .

Rancho Gordo Marcella Beans
    I've made these many times but I considered this batch to be experimental because the beans were pretty old (a couple years past the 'best before' date). :o

Marcella Bean Mise En Place & Sukenari HAP40 Gyuto, 210mm
    2x pork stock, pre-soaked Marcella beans, slittled red jalapenos & serranos, minced red onion, leftover 'grill' sausage, celery, carrot, minced garlic, salt, black pepper and evoo. To help account for their age, I soaked the beans for almost 24 hours before cooking.

Not surprisingly, they took a really long time to finish (about 4 hours). But when they were finally done, they were on par with most of the other pots I've cooked over the years with fresher beans . . .

Marcella Beans
    Tender and creamy. Thinking about it now, this might have been a good time to deploy the instant pot but I didn't think of that until, well, right now. :D

=R=
  • Post #81 - April 20th, 2023, 3:21 pm
    Post #81 - April 20th, 2023, 3:21 pm Post #81 - April 20th, 2023, 3:21 pm
    FYI, was pleasantly surprised today to find an assortment of Rancho Gordo beans on the shelf at my local Whole Foods (in Elmhurst). I've bought them from Standard Market, but never seen them on the shelf anywhere else.
  • Post #82 - April 20th, 2023, 8:08 pm
    Post #82 - April 20th, 2023, 8:08 pm Post #82 - April 20th, 2023, 8:08 pm
    Kid Charlemagne wrote:FYI, was pleasantly surprised today to find an assortment of Rancho Gordo beans on the shelf at my local Whole Foods (in Elmhurst). I've bought them from Standard Market, but never seen them on the shelf anywhere else.

Interesting. They seem to have a couple varieties at a few other WF stores, too. Alubia Blanca and Cranberry at Deerfield, for example.

=R=
  • Post #83 - April 26th, 2023, 5:58 am
    Post #83 - April 26th, 2023, 5:58 am Post #83 - April 26th, 2023, 5:58 am
    Rancho Gordo Bean Club is open for new members. For how long? Moments, seconds, days?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #84 - April 26th, 2023, 7:58 am
    Post #84 - April 26th, 2023, 7:58 am Post #84 - April 26th, 2023, 7:58 am
    Sold out :cry:
  • Post #85 - September 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm
    Post #85 - September 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm Post #85 - September 12th, 2023, 3:48 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Rancho Gordo Bean Club is open for new members. For how long? Moments, seconds, days?

HonestMan wrote:Sold out :cry:

Listening in on a Bean Club Town Hall, just learned that there are currently 22,000 members in the Bean Club and 25,000 on the wait list. Wowza! :shock:

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more