LTH Home

Sichuan peppercorns in garam masala

Sichuan peppercorns in garam masala
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sichuan peppercorns in garam masala

Post #1 - February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    Post #1 - February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm Post #1 - February 8th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    The other day I picked up a bag of garam masala at Metro Spice Mart on Jefferson. Typically, I pick up a bag of Swad brand, but they didn't have any, so I just grabbed a bag of what turned out to be Deep Foods brand. Reading the label, it appears to be a product of India. However, the second ingredient on the garam masala ingredients list was Sichuan pepper. I don't think I've come across Sichuan peppercorns in garam masala before, or in recipes for garam masala. Is this just a quirk of this particular brand, or are Sichuan peppercorns perhaps common in some regional Indian cuisines and their garam masalas? I was wondering if it was a mistranslation but, tasting it, it does seem to have that numbing, tingling, mouth-salivating nature of Sichuan pepper going on.

It is a tasty garam masala, but a bit different than what I'm used to.
  • Post #2 - February 8th, 2020, 7:19 pm
    Post #2 - February 8th, 2020, 7:19 pm Post #2 - February 8th, 2020, 7:19 pm
    Interesting question Binko. Who knew? but there's a closely related species native to India, and the peppercorn itself isn't unknown. Here's a short discussion:

https://mangalorespice.com/products/szechuan-pepper-teppal

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm
    Post #3 - February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm Post #3 - February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm
    Geo wrote:Interesting question Binko. Who knew? but there's a closely related species native to India, and the peppercorn itself isn't unknown. Here's a short discussion:

https://mangalorespice.com/products/szechuan-pepper-teppal

Geo

Yeah, I'm wondering if it might be something else. It doesn't seem quite as strong as I would expect it to be if it were the second ingredient in a masala, but I definitely swear I taste some sort of tingliness to the spice mix, unless it's just psychosomatic.

Edited to add on 2/11/20: After cooking up another meal with this garam masala, I definitely feel that back/side-of-the-tongue tingly and salivating sensation after eating my meal. So it probably is Sichuan peppercorn (or a very similar spice.)
  • Post #4 - March 10th, 2020, 9:33 am
    Post #4 - March 10th, 2020, 9:33 am Post #4 - March 10th, 2020, 9:33 am
    Typically Tellicherry peppercorns are used but there are many pepper corns in south India. My husbands family had rubber estates there and they raised peppercorns there as well. I brought some back from India when I went and they were good.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more