LTH Home

Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner

Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Yellow Rose Cafe, Old School Diner

Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am
    Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am Post #1 - June 13th, 2020, 8:51 am
    Yellow Rose Cafe, last of a dying breed, Old School diner with stool seating and a few scattered tables, open early, close mid-afternoon. No Sundays. Chef/owner Angelo knows everyone who walks in the door and, if you are new, he will know your name by the second visit.

Tip-top breakfasts, corned beef hash in particular, burgers, BLTs, tuna melt, plate lunches, house-made soup of the day, house-made jelly and a surprisingly potent house-made hot sauce. I typically order breakfast, three over easy, ham off the bone, grits and a pair of English muffins.

Hyper reasonable prices, daily specials plus a white-board 2-eggs, 2-sausage, hash browns, toast, coffee for $6.49. I adore Yellow Rose Café, find Angelo charming in a gruff, friendly, archetype Greek diner owner fashion. Fast friendly service, large parking lot, cash only.

Yesterday, after two long months of not being served food in a restaurant, the bride and I went to Yellow Rose for breakfast. Tables setup outside, keeping the new normal regs in mind, I was almost giddy with glee, its amazing what a friendly smile while pouring coffee will do for ones mood.

Breakfast Bonus: Bride and I chatted with a lively 91-year-old, sharper than most, personable, conversation went on long after our delicious meal finished. Jimmy even pulled a fast one and bought our meal. I told him about Josephs Finest Meats, he went, loved the place and bought prime dry-age steaks. We’ve already chatted on the phone, I have a new BFF :)

Chicago's Best Corned Beef (Hash): Yellow Rose Cafe

Yellow Rose Cafe, count me a Fan!

YRCP6.jpg Yellow Rose Cafe

YRC1.jpg Yellow Rose Cafe

YellowRose56.jpg "Lite" Breakfast

YellowRose4.jpg Corned Beef Hash

YellowRose2.jpg Tuna Melt

YRCP4.jpg New Normal, Patio Breakfast

YRCP5.jpg Jimmy, 91-years-young. My new BFF :)

Yellow Rose Cafe  
    5640 N Elston Ave
    Chicago, IL 60646
    773-631-2297
    M - F 5:30AM–2:30PM
    Saturday 6AM–1PM
    Sunday Closed
    Large parking lot
    Cash only
    Hours may be different until the new normal fades to memory. Call.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm
    Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm
    Yellow Rose Cafe, love love love Yellow Rose Cafe!

Solo early lunch, fairly hungry so went Clubhouse sandwich which includes cup of soup and fries. Angelo brought me a little snack of corned beef. Sidewalk socially distanced dining, with a lovely view of Elston Ave, there's also outside seating without Rue de Elston as improvised Montmartre.

Club textbook, fries crispy, soup house-made, hot sauce house-made, friendliness comes naturally.

Heartwarming slice of life vignette, as they were walking out the 85-year-old father put his hand out, as one might do for a child, in front of his 60ish son as they came to the end of the sidewalk so not to move into Elston Ave traffic crossing the street. I found it heartwarming. (Yes, I'm getting soft in my old age)

One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm
    Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm Post #3 - July 29th, 2020, 1:01 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Yellow Rose Cafe, love love love Yellow Rose Cafe!

Solo early lunch, fairly hungry so went Clubhouse sandwich which includes cup of soup and fries. Angelo brought me a little snack of corned beef. Sidewalk socially distanced dining, with a lovely view of Elston Ave, there's also outside seating without Rue de Elston as improvised Montmartre.

Club textbook, fries crispy, soup house-made, hot sauce house-made, friendliness comes naturally.

Heartwarming slice of life vignette, as they were walking out the 85-year-old father put his hand out, as one might do for a child, in front of his 60ish son as they came to the end of the sidewalk so not to move into Elston Ave traffic crossing the street. I found it heartwarming. (Yes, I'm getting soft in my old age)

Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.
  • Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
    Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm Post #4 - July 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
    Brushman4 wrote:Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.

Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house.* Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked. I should note I am not down, as are many LTHers, on deli turkey. I buy it for the house, like it in sandwiches when out and offer no apology for my somewhat pedestrian taste.

For around $9 one gets a large well made club, fries, cup of soup, friendly service and a true throw-back old school diner environment.

*Yellow Rose makes their own jelly, hot sauce, soup (scratch, not from base) and a myarid of other items many diners buy premade. Stands to reason they roast their own turkey but, like I said, I've never asked.
    Last edited by G Wiv on July 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm Post #5 - July 29th, 2020, 2:10 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Brushman4 wrote:Does the club have sliced off the bone Turkey? A lot of these places want to just substitute thin sliced Turkey breast instead of going through the trouble of roasting their own.

Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house*. Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked. I should note I am not down, as are many LTHers, on deli turkey. I buy it for the house, like it in sandwiches when out and offer no apology for my somewhat pedestrian taste.

For around $9 one gets a large well made club, fries, cup of soup, friendly service and a true throw-back old school diner environment.

*Yellow Rose makes their own jelly, hot sauce, soup (scratch, not from base) and a myarid of other items many diners buy premade. Stands to reason they roast their own turkey but, like I said, I've never asked.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out The Yellow Rose for a turkey club, that's a great price in today's age.

I've usually get them at Omega which is about 1.5 miles away from me, the last time I bought one a few weeks ago it was pretty pricey with the fries, soup etc. ringing in at $14+ tax included!
  • Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm Post #6 - July 29th, 2020, 2:39 pm
    If they make their own soups, it stands to reason that they would roast turkey, ham, chicken, etc.... because the leftover bones are the key to good soup. Who doesn't like a breakfast with ham sliced off the bone and grilled a bit. Then later some split pea, navy bean, or ham/potato soup. Would get me in the door on a regular basis.
  • Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm
    Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm Post #7 - July 29th, 2020, 2:47 pm
    I love Yellow Rose Cafe unreservedly. Good cook, old-school staff. I believe they make their own refried beans to be a side for the Mexican-American items.

Most of the time, thought, I look hungrily at the menu and always order the [house made] corned beef hash. Best I've ever had.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm
    Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm Post #8 - July 29th, 2020, 4:08 pm
    Brushman4 wrote:Thanks, I'll definitely check out The Yellow Rose for a turkey club, that's a great price in today's age.

I've usually get them at Omega which is about 1.5 miles away from me, the last time I bought one a few weeks ago it was pretty pricey with the fries, soup etc. ringing in at $14+ tax included!

Been about a year since I've been to the Omega, family member picked it for about 20 of us to meet for brunch. Was perfect for the occasion, food fine, service good, prices appealed to all and they handled our multi generational group well.

That said, if memory serves, the turkey at Omega was deli slice not roast in house. Like I said above, not a deal breaker for me, and I remember liking the club house sandwich, but it was 68/100 compared to Yellow Rose 88/100.

Speaking of house roast whole turkey for sandwiches, just because a joint roasts their own turkey does not automatically make it delicious. I've had plenty of dry turkey in my life, especially turkey breast meat.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - Yesterday, 3:02 pm
    Post #9 - Yesterday, 3:02 pm Post #9 - Yesterday, 3:02 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Yellow Rose clubhouse turkey is real turkey, most likely roasted in house.* Breast or whole bird is not a question I've asked.

Yellow Rose Cafe roasts turkey breast in-house for sandwiches. In the past, pre pandemic, they roasted whole birds. Currently there's less demand for plate lunch specials such as turkey, mainly breakfast and sandwiches, thus turkey breast.

My sandwich today was terrific, crisp bacon, nice tomato, well managed lettuce, moist turkey, perfectly toasted bread, generous mayo and crisp fries. Held together with a cute curly frizzed toothpick. $9.25 with fries and cup of soup.

Click image to expand

One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #10 - Yesterday, 5:12 pm
    Post #10 - Yesterday, 5:12 pm Post #10 - Yesterday, 5:12 pm
    What exactly is “well managed lettuce” ?
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #11 - Yesterday, 6:56 pm
    Post #11 - Yesterday, 6:56 pm Post #11 - Yesterday, 6:56 pm
    Do they have an open faced turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy?
  • Post #12 - Yesterday, 7:44 pm
    Post #12 - Yesterday, 7:44 pm Post #12 - Yesterday, 7:44 pm
    Dave148 wrote:What exactly is “well managed lettuce” ?

Crisp, dry, not bruised, refreshing crunch, good placement on sandwich, balanced ratio to other ingredients . . .

Ram4 wrote:Do they have an open faced turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy?

One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - Yesterday, 7:49 pm
    Post #13 - Yesterday, 7:49 pm Post #13 - Yesterday, 7:49 pm
    Thank you for the clarification.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close