LTH Home

Today's Discovery

Today's Discovery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 13
  • Post #211 - August 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm
    Post #211 - August 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm Post #211 - August 11th, 2019, 10:07 pm
    jilter wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:Pickled cherry tomatoes at Garden Fresh. [...edited for brevity]

I'm guessing they'll be at multiple outlets of Garden Fresh, but the one I shop at is in Buffalo Grove.
    Garden Fresh Market
    770 S Buffalo Grove Rd
    Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
    http://www.gardenfreshmarket.com/

Wow, I did not know there still a Garden Fresh. I do not leave my area much <grin.>
    But I do miss certain items since the Highland Park store closed. Chief among them was the sauerkraut in a barrel.
    Going to take a road trip. Thanks Cathy!

Depending on where you are, you might find that the Vernon Hills Garden Fresh is also accessible. Don't know if they have the pickled cherry tomatoes, but the Vernon Hills store is even bigger than the BG store.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #212 - August 12th, 2019, 7:02 am
    Post #212 - August 12th, 2019, 7:02 am Post #212 - August 12th, 2019, 7:02 am
    Cynthia wrote:
    jilter wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:Pickled cherry tomatoes at Garden Fresh. [...edited for brevity]

I'm guessing they'll be at multiple outlets of Garden Fresh, but the one I shop at is in Buffalo Grove.
    Garden Fresh Market
    770 S Buffalo Grove Rd
    Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
    http://www.gardenfreshmarket.com/

Wow, I did not know there still a Garden Fresh. I do not leave my area much <grin.>
    But I do miss certain items since the Highland Park store closed. Chief among them was the sauerkraut in a barrel.
    Going to take a road trip. Thanks Cathy!

Depending on where you are, you might find that the Vernon Hills Garden Fresh is also accessible. Don't know if they have the pickled cherry tomatoes, but the Vernon Hills store is even bigger than the BG store.

I will make a note of that, thank you.
    I really miss the variety of kosher items GF used to carry in HP.
    Thank you again!
  • Post #213 - August 12th, 2019, 7:16 am
    Post #213 - August 12th, 2019, 7:16 am Post #213 - August 12th, 2019, 7:16 am
    Garden Fresh is actually in Mundelein rather than Vernon Hills.
  • Post #214 - August 12th, 2019, 7:32 am
    Post #214 - August 12th, 2019, 7:32 am Post #214 - August 12th, 2019, 7:32 am
    wesuilmo wrote:Garden Fresh is actually in Mundelein rather than Vernon Hills.

400 Townline Rd.
    Mundelein, IL 60060
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #215 - August 12th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    Post #215 - August 12th, 2019, 6:41 pm Post #215 - August 12th, 2019, 6:41 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    wesuilmo wrote:Garden Fresh is actually in Mundelein rather than Vernon Hills.

400 Townline Rd.
    Mundelein, IL 60060

Sorry. Not sure where the borders are "up north."

• Post #216 - August 18th, 2019, 10:51 pm
    Post #216 - August 18th, 2019, 10:51 pm Post #216 - August 18th, 2019, 10:51 pm
    Not exactly a discovery because I've enjoyed Kerrygold products for years but someone recently gave me (I know, don't ask) a half-pound container of their Naturally Softer butter and oh my, it's delicious on toast . . .

Kerrygold Naturally Softer Butter

I typically use their unsalted butter but this stuff (lightly salted) is so good, I might start keeping it on-hand in addition to the unsalted. Wow!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #217 - September 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
    Post #217 - September 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm Post #217 - September 5th, 2019, 1:53 pm
    The new Jewel-Osco grocery store in Hyde Park at Cottage Grove and 60th street offers ramen made to order, along with stir-fry and noodle bowls. I've tried the ramen on three separate visits and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality. You get a choice of tonkatsu, miso, or spicy miso broth. You then select a protein (beef, chicken, pork loin, and tofu), along with 6 toppings (i.e., corn, soft-boiled egg, bamboo, nori, cilantro, green onions, broccoli, bokchoy). Everything is made on the spot to order and nicely packaged. I've tried both the tonkatsu and spicy miso accompanied by pork. Noodles have a nice chew and have not been over-cooked. I spent about $12 which I felt was fair given the quality. This has become my go to spot on Hyde Park during my lunch breaks when i'm craving ramen.
  • Post #218 - October 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm
    Post #218 - October 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm Post #218 - October 22nd, 2019, 3:12 pm
    Not so much a "must try" as a "good news if you need it" -- today at Aldi picked up a box of "Cauliflower Crackers." They're actually made with cauliflower flour -- among other things -- but are gluten free and pretty tasty. Interestingly, you can taste the cauliflower, even over the cheese in the version I bought. Very crunchy, though with a different crunch than a cracker made with wheat flour. But if you need to be gluten free, these might be a life saver -- and yet are tasty enough to not chase away your gluten-eating friends.

• Post #219 - October 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm
    Post #219 - October 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm Post #219 - October 22nd, 2019, 4:01 pm
    Louisa's Four-Cheese Toasted Ravioli, found among the frozen foods at Marianos in Vernon Hills. A few minutes in a toaster oven and the cheese inside gets nicely melted. Seasoned crumb crust. Dipped in marinara sauce, a delightful appetizer. So St. Louis; so Highwood. Brings back memories of my dad's favorite place in Highwood, My Favorite Inn.

p.s., I see the company is in St. Louis.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #220 - January 20th, 2020, 1:11 pm
    Post #220 - January 20th, 2020, 1:11 pm Post #220 - January 20th, 2020, 1:11 pm
    At Richwell Market in Morton Grove, I picked up a package of ChaCha Potato Cracker. Gluten Free and "extra crunchy" the package declares. I got the scallion flavor. These are wonderful crackers. This is not a case of, "oh, well, at least they're gluten free," but rather, "why didn't I buy all the flavors." They're small (about 1-inch square) and sold in long, thin packages. They really are extra crunchy -- and the inclusion of seaweed and sesame makes them just a little more exotic tasting than other crackers. But really delightful little crackers -- and a bonus if you do need gluten free.

While I got these at Richwell Market, I'd imagine they might be found at other largely Asian stores. That said, a quick search turned up a lot of online sites selling these, as well.

• Post #221 - January 20th, 2020, 4:41 pm
    Post #221 - January 20th, 2020, 4:41 pm Post #221 - January 20th, 2020, 4:41 pm
    I was at Richwell MArket on Saturday to purchase egg rolls wrappers.

I began at the snack section looking for something I have found only in New Jersey: snack packets of peanuts and little dried fish.

I did find some Taiwanese Sesame Fish Chips made of fish chips, sesame seeds, sugar, maltose, msg, salt and 'sweetner.' Feathery light fish chips with a faint fish flavor. Relatively steep price for 20 grams (less than an ounce) at $1.99 or $2.99.

Distributor is Profusion Foods, Chicago, IL 60638.

The also offered ten small empanada like pastries filled with dried coconut and peanuts. I was going to take a pass until the woman said the golden words, "These are made for Chinese New Year." I am a sucker for seasonal foods I cannot try casually.

These empanadas were not especially sweet, though they smelled really nice. The label was hand written and had a sense it was made by a small enterprise.

None of these treats lasted more than 15 minutes once opened.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #222 - July 5th, 2020, 2:24 pm
    Post #222 - July 5th, 2020, 2:24 pm Post #222 - July 5th, 2020, 2:24 pm
    My discovery for today is from another LTH thread:

leek wrote:I find that almost any pot pie will be soggy on the bottom. SO I bake it, then when it is near to done, but not quite, but the top is brown and crispy, I put another baking dish over it, and invert it. So for the last 10 mins or so the bottom is on top and gets a little drier. This is not usually long enough to make the top (now the bottom) soggy, though it is messy if you are not careful.

I can hardly believe this escaped my notice before, especially because I was following the pot pie thread at the time. What a fantastic idea! I've got to try this soon. It seems like it would be easy for a small store-bought frozen pot pie but a disaster risk for a large homemade pot pie. But I have to try it on a homemade one.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #223 - July 5th, 2020, 3:22 pm
    Post #223 - July 5th, 2020, 3:22 pm Post #223 - July 5th, 2020, 3:22 pm
    HI,

When I bake pies, I put them on a cookie sheet on the bottom shelf of a preheated oven. The cookie sheet is preheated with the oven, just to be clear.

I never have a problem with soggy bottoms.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #224 - July 5th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    Post #224 - July 5th, 2020, 4:22 pm Post #224 - July 5th, 2020, 4:22 pm
    I just finished eating a pot pie, a Marie Calendar (hope I spelled that correctly) beef one. I bake it on a cookie sheet with a sheet of foil, folded over twice, on top for the first 1/2 hour, then take the sheet off, and move pie, cookie sheet and all, to the baking stone on the bottom shelf (it almost never comes out of the oven) for the last 1/2 hour of baking. No soggy crust.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #225 - July 6th, 2020, 11:31 am
    Post #225 - July 6th, 2020, 11:31 am Post #225 - July 6th, 2020, 11:31 am
    Those are both great tips. Thanks.
  • Post #226 - July 21st, 2020, 9:24 am
    Post #226 - July 21st, 2020, 9:24 am Post #226 - July 21st, 2020, 9:24 am
    I put this here about a product I did not know existed. My sister-in-law gave us a few packets of mushroom coffee. It is instant coffee mixed with powdered black mushrooms. We made a cup today.If there was no other option for some caffeine, I might reach for this. Mr. X's scrunched up face indicated he would not.

We have extra packets if anyone is interested. ;-)

-Mary
  • Post #227 - July 21st, 2020, 9:47 am
    Post #227 - July 21st, 2020, 9:47 am Post #227 - July 21st, 2020, 9:47 am
    The GP wrote:I put this here about a product I did not know existed. My sister-in-law gave us a few packets of mushroom coffee. It is instant coffee mixed with powdered black mushrooms. We made a cup today.If there was no other option for some caffeine, I might reach for this. Mr. X's scrunched up face indicated he would not.

We have extra packets if anyone is interested. ;-)

I would be, because anything like this is an interesting curiosity to share with my mushroom club. Goodness when we might meet in the flesh again.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #228 - July 21st, 2020, 9:56 am
    Post #228 - July 21st, 2020, 9:56 am Post #228 - July 21st, 2020, 9:56 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I would be, because anything like this is an interesting curiosity to share with my mushroom club. Goodness when we might meet in the flesh again.

They are yours! I'll reach out to you off-line to figure out how to get them to you.
    -Mary
  • Post #229 - July 21st, 2020, 10:18 am
    Post #229 - July 21st, 2020, 10:18 am Post #229 - July 21st, 2020, 10:18 am
    The GP wrote:It is instant coffee mixed with powdered black mushrooms. We made a cup today.

Just because you can does not mean you should.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #230 - July 21st, 2020, 10:31 am
    Post #230 - July 21st, 2020, 10:31 am Post #230 - July 21st, 2020, 10:31 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    The GP wrote:It is instant coffee mixed with powdered black mushrooms. We made a cup today.

Trust me, I know. Mr. X was ready to just pitch them. :lol:
    -Mary
  • Post #231 - July 21st, 2020, 10:57 am
    Post #231 - July 21st, 2020, 10:57 am Post #231 - July 21st, 2020, 10:57 am
    He's a better man than I. I can't even imagine doing more than sniffing. From a distance. A VERY FAR distance . :roll:
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #232 - September 26th, 2020, 8:47 pm
    Post #232 - September 26th, 2020, 8:47 pm Post #232 - September 26th, 2020, 8:47 pm
    At Woodman's today, couldn't resist the Sauer Frau squeezable sauerkraut. This fermented sauerkraut is chopped fine, so it can just be piped over whatever you want to enhance. Three flavors were on offer: classic, Bavarian with caraway seeds, and the one I got, craft beer mustard. I got it for the novelty, but it's really good. As the package notes, they're "Serious About Kraut." It's fun, in addition to being yummy.

The text on the package is worth reading, too. "The Sauer Frau has no time for the eccentric or offbeat—doesn't enjoy theater, novels, art, or other human beings. But mention sauerkraut and she starts talking about the old country."

Here's their website -- so you'll recognize the package when you're wandering through the store: https://sauerfrau.com/

• Post #233 - September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
    Post #233 - September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm Post #233 - September 26th, 2020, 8:50 pm
    The GP wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

Trust me, I know. Mr. X was ready to just pitch them. :lol:

I had a friend who got into selling this stuff. The mushrooms included are among those revered for their healing properties. So people who are drinking it are not drinking it because they like coffee; they're drinking it because they want to boost their immune systems. Sometimes having a different goal can make something more acceptable than it would be otherwise.

• Post #234 - September 26th, 2020, 9:58 pm
    Post #234 - September 26th, 2020, 9:58 pm Post #234 - September 26th, 2020, 9:58 pm
    Cynthia wrote:At Woodman's today, couldn't resist the Sauer Frau squeezable sauerkraut. This fermented sauerkraut is chopped fine, so it can just be piped over whatever you want to enhance. Three flavors were on offer: classic, Bavarian with caraway seeds, and the one I got, craft beer mustard. I got it for the novelty, but it's really good. As the package notes, they're "Serious About Kraut." It's fun, in addition to being yummy.

I am guessing this was with the sauerkraut?
    Cathy2

• Post #235 - September 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm
    Post #235 - September 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm Post #235 - September 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:At Woodman's today, couldn't resist the Sauer Frau squeezable sauerkraut. This fermented sauerkraut is chopped fine, so it can just be piped over whatever you want to enhance. Three flavors were on offer: classic, Bavarian with caraway seeds, and the one I got, craft beer mustard. I got it for the novelty, but it's really good. As the package notes, they're "Serious About Kraut." It's fun, in addition to being yummy.

I am guessing this was with the sauerkraut?

Yes -- but the canned stuff, not the refrigerated stuff.

• Post #236 - September 27th, 2020, 12:57 pm
    Post #236 - September 27th, 2020, 12:57 pm Post #236 - September 27th, 2020, 12:57 pm

The text on the package is worth reading, too. "The Sauer Frau has no time for the eccentric or offbeat—doesn't enjoy theater, novels, art, or other human beings. But mention sauerkraut and she starts talking about the old country."

Here's their website -- so you'll recognize the package when you're wandering through the store: https://sauerfrau.com/

Thank you! I am SOO seeking this out
  • Post #237 - October 2nd, 2020, 7:29 pm
    Post #237 - October 2nd, 2020, 7:29 pm Post #237 - October 2nd, 2020, 7:29 pm
    This is more a surprising connection rather than a recommendation. At Costco, I found a bag of "Shiitake Mushroom: Crispy, Crunchy, and Seasoned." Manufacturer is Snak Yard. When I got home, I popped one in my mouth, and it was crispy and crunchy, but I would have said sweetened for the last descriptor. But the surprising connection for me, given the exchange up thread about coffee with mushroom in it, was that they tasted pretty much just like coffee. I've had a few more, and I did encounter one that tasted vaguely like shiitake mushroom, but mostly they taste like coffee, with a hint of meat. Not unpleasant, but not something I'll likely buy again. Just thought it was funny, given the comments above. Can't help but wonder if this taste inspired the adding of medicinal mushrooms to coffee.

• Post #238 - October 2nd, 2020, 10:39 pm
    Post #238 - October 2nd, 2020, 10:39 pm Post #238 - October 2nd, 2020, 10:39 pm
    Not today's, but last shopping trip: white cheddar cheese spread from Tillamook. Sadly, no cheddar flavor, just a slightly tangier cream cheese. Tasty (combines very nicely with the pear butter I picked up in southern Illinois), but not worth 4x the price of cream cheese.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #239 - October 3rd, 2020, 7:41 pm
    Post #239 - October 3rd, 2020, 7:41 pm Post #239 - October 3rd, 2020, 7:41 pm
    JoelF wrote:Not today's, but last shopping trip: white cheddar cheese spread from Tillamook. Sadly, no cheddar flavor, just a slightly tangier cream cheese. Tasty (combines very nicely with the pear butter I picked up in southern Illinois), but not worth 4x the price of cream cheese.

Yeah -- that's the issue, isn't it -- value. Like the shiitake mushrooms I got -- not bad, just too similar to crunchy snacks I can get for a lot less than $9.85.

• Post #240 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Post #240 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am Post #240 - October 5th, 2020, 11:48 am
    One of my self-assigned jobs as caregiver for my mom is to make sure there is ice cream in the little freezer in her retirement home apartment. I usually just scan for ones I know she likes -- big fan of black raspberry chocolate chip (Graeter's or Oberweis). But Saturday, as I looked over the offerings at Mariano's, I saw something I hadn't seen before -- quart containers of DOVE ice cream -- dark chocolate with pieces of Dove chocolate and chocolate swirls. Since Dove chocolates are among the things I'm expected to keep handy for mom at all times, it seems natural to try this ice cream. Only had a small taste, as I served mom -- but wow. If you like chocolate, I don't think this could be beat.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more