LTH Home

Best Thing You've Eaten [Lately]

Best Thing You've Eaten [Lately]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 87 of 87 
  • Post #2581 - November 15th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    Post #2581 - November 15th, 2020, 12:25 pm Post #2581 - November 15th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    Monteverde's potato-filled zlikrofi pasta, served with fresh Burgundy truffle, was the star amongst stars of an all-around outstanding carryout meal
  • Post #2582 - November 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Post #2582 - November 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm Post #2582 - November 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Perhaps this was all gone over previously in the thread. I googled Monteverde and came up with this:

    1020 West Madison Street
    Chicago IL 60607
    (312) 888-3041

    I assume it is what you were referring to?
  • Post #2583 - November 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm
    Post #2583 - November 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm Post #2583 - November 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Perhaps this was all gone over previously in the thread. I googled Monteverde and came up with this:

    1020 West Madison Street
    Chicago IL 60607
    (312) 888-3041

    I assume it is what you were referring to?

    Yes, thank you
  • Post #2584 - November 15th, 2020, 6:31 pm
    Post #2584 - November 15th, 2020, 6:31 pm Post #2584 - November 15th, 2020, 6:31 pm
    Smassey wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:Perhaps this was all gone over previously in the thread. I googled Monteverde and came up with this:

    1020 West Madison Street
    Chicago IL 60607
    (312) 888-3041

    I assume it is what you were referring to?

    Yes, thank you

    Dedicated thread here.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2585 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
    Post #2585 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm Post #2585 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
    Take out cassoulet from Aboyer, yesterday evening.

    The gold standard for me was Leslie Reis' from Cafe Provencal in Evanston, back from last century. The cassoulet I picked up last night was the first I tasted in 30 years that closely matched that standard.

    There was enough for a leftover meal, and the onion soup and creme brulee (in a chocolate cup!) were also excellent.

    Perfect high end comfort food! Perfect.
  • Post #2586 - November 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
    Post #2586 - November 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm Post #2586 - November 16th, 2020, 2:57 pm
    rfleisch1 wrote:Take out cassoulet from Aboyer, yesterday evening.

    The gold standard for me was Leslie Reis' from Cafe Provencal in Evanston, back from last century. The cassoulet I picked up last night was the first I tasted in 30 years that closely matched that standard.

    There was enough for a leftover meal, and the onion soup and creme brulee (in a chocolate cup!) were also excellent.

    Perfect high end comfort food! Perfect.

    During this pandemic, Aboyer has consistently been the best take out we have had. Such care has been taken to make sure that the food arrived warm or had instructions how to finish cooking at home. And the quality of the food has been excellent. We ate on their patio two weekends ago, and now with the cold weather we will continue to support them through carry-out.
  • Post #2587 - December 31st, 2020, 9:13 am
    Post #2587 - December 31st, 2020, 9:13 am Post #2587 - December 31st, 2020, 9:13 am
    Not sure if there's a best product you've bought lately kind of thread, but this is gonna be the best thing I've eaten lately...

    Bushel & Peck's Strawberry and Habanero Jam.

    Bought it on a whim, fully expecting it to be a gimmicky, buzz word jar of yawn.
    Next time I see it, I'm buying it all, just in case they don't restock, or Bushel & Peck decides to stop production.

    https://bushelandpecks.myshopify.com/collections/jam-made-by-bushel-pecks/products/strawberry-habanero-jam

    Also, I'm gonna try some of their other products too. Looking for the website to post, is the first time I've seen their list of products

    Back to this Strawberry/Hab jam:
    I assumed it was gonna be a hint of spicy, like pretty much every single jam with some kind of supposed hot pepper I've tried before. I bought this one as an add on to a gift card I was buying from a food shop for an xmas gift. Matter of fact, I had this strawberry/hab, and a peach/jalapeno, and I was choosing which one to gift, and which one to keep, but I forgot if the gift recipient was a fan of spicy shit, and I'm planning on making a batch of peach / serrano at home soon, so I put the peach back, and decided to just keep this Strawberry / Hab for myself because I was hangry. I decided while shopping that I was gonna spend some money on good cheese and expensive bread for lunch, and the jam seemed to sound good. Wound up with some cowgirl creamery and a loaf of publican sourdough. Um..YUM! ANyway...this jam...

    It's almost everything. It might could use about a few more Scoville UNits, but as is, I guarantee you it's too spicy for some people. I'm not a good judge, because I really like spicy stuff. It's not over the top with stupid, overpowering heat (but it might be for some.) But it's not a joke, either. The thing that gets me is that:
    1. It's definitely spicier than most other "spicy jams" I've tried.
    2. It definitely has habanero FLAVOR, not just the heat.
    3. The actual strawberry flavor is way up there.
    4. The ingredient list is Strawberries, natural fruit pectin, cane sugar, habanero and lime juice.

    It's an 8 oz jar that I bought on Sunday. I've eaten more than half of it already. If I see it again, I'm buying all of it.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #2588 - December 31st, 2020, 9:35 am
    Post #2588 - December 31st, 2020, 9:35 am Post #2588 - December 31st, 2020, 9:35 am
    seebee wrote:Not sure if there's a best product you've bought lately kind of thread, but this is gonna be the best thing I've eaten lately...

    Bushel & Peck's Strawberry and Habanero Jam.



    I agree. Really good. You probably know that they show up @ the Oak Park Farmer's Market about once a month (although that's no help at present). They have a store in Beloit. It's not that far, at least if you're driving to Madison. Pretty much all they make is excellent. I especially like their pickles and fermented stuff.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #2589 - December 31st, 2020, 10:30 am
    Post #2589 - December 31st, 2020, 10:30 am Post #2589 - December 31st, 2020, 10:30 am
    Vital Information wrote:
    I agree. Really good. You probably know that they show up @ the Oak Park Farmer's Market about once a month (although that's no help at present). They have a store in Beloit. It's not that far, at least if you're driving to Madison. Pretty much all they make is excellent. I especially like their pickles and fermented stuff.


    VI - I found the Straw/Hab and Peach/Jalapeno at Sugar Beet. Not sure if they had more of their products, But good to know that B&P's other products might be excellent. Definitely gonna give them a chance with more stuff. I remember last year at the OP Farmer's Mkt, I spoke with one of the jam purveyors about the lack of any heat in their pepper flavors as I was taste testing. It very well could have been Bushel&Peck for all I know. But this jar I have is really freekin good.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #2590 - December 31st, 2020, 10:40 am
    Post #2590 - December 31st, 2020, 10:40 am Post #2590 - December 31st, 2020, 10:40 am
    Many of Bushel & Peck's products are sold via the Nichols Farm website.

    =R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

    Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2591 - December 31st, 2020, 11:18 am
    Post #2591 - December 31st, 2020, 11:18 am Post #2591 - December 31st, 2020, 11:18 am
    I got both of their spicy flavors as a Nichols csa add on. Haven't opened the straw/hab yet but the peach/jalapeno is outstanding.

    -Will

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more