LTH Home

Chicago restaurant history

Chicago restaurant history
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - February 25th, 2021, 9:39 am
    Post #91 - February 25th, 2021, 9:39 am Post #91 - February 25th, 2021, 9:39 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I arranged this program on postcards, though not specifically restaurants, which may be of interest.

The Happy Invention
    The History and Significance of Picture Postcards

Thanks for an excellent program! The retouched South Dakota diner sans "farmer" makes me wonder how much improvement some of the Chicago restaurant postcards had.
  • Post #92 - February 25th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #92 - February 25th, 2021, 10:47 am Post #92 - February 25th, 2021, 10:47 am
    Glad you enjoyed it.

For those who may want to see it for yourself, it is available to see on facebook.

I will update this post later with the podcast.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #93 - February 25th, 2021, 11:53 am
    Post #93 - February 25th, 2021, 11:53 am Post #93 - February 25th, 2021, 11:53 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Glad you enjoyed it.

For those who may want to see it for yourself, it is available to see on facebook.

I will update this post later with the podcast.

Regards,
    CAthy2

I agree that it was a fascinating program. In the category of "who knew," this would be pretty much at the top. I have both sent and received postcards over the years, but had no idea they represented such an important part of history and important record of history. Remarkable.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #94 - February 25th, 2021, 5:22 pm
    Post #94 - February 25th, 2021, 5:22 pm Post #94 - February 25th, 2021, 5:22 pm
    tjr wrote:The retouched South Dakota diner sans "farmer" makes me wonder how much improvement some of the Chicago restaurant postcards had.

Retouching (or beyond) of postcards was very common, of course. Here are a few favorite examples from my collection.

The DeJonghe Hotel and Restaurant is now best known for introducing Shrimps DeJonghe to Chicago around the turn of the century (this card was mailed in 1905). Such a grand building! Or were horses a lot smaller back then?

Henri Charpentier, often credited with introducing Crêpes Suzette, was a famous but brief presence in the early 1940s at Chicago's Café de Paris ('A Charming Room for the Discriminating Epicure'). Here you can see him flaming away.

When Chef Charpentier left Café de Paris, he also left the restaurant's postcard.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this next one (with a bit of research I'm sure I can find out more). Chef's new face reminds me of 'Monkey Christ' and other botched art restorations.

• Post #95 - May 15th, 2021, 11:05 am
    Post #95 - May 15th, 2021, 11:05 am Post #95 - May 15th, 2021, 11:05 am
    A couple new postcards went up today.

Four Farthings
    George Hessberger's
    Goldberg's Modern Restaurant
    Eitel's Old Heidelberg
    The Dugout at the American Legion Post 746
    The Gallery at the County Club Hotel

Sorry, it's not more, but between covid shutting down shows and just a general restaurant postcard drought, pickings have been slim. I did just purchase a beauty, but I don't have it yet, so that will be a surprise for next post!
  • Post #96 - June 19th, 2021, 12:53 pm
    Post #96 - June 19th, 2021, 12:53 pm Post #96 - June 19th, 2021, 12:53 pm
    Just one new postcard today, but it is a goodie. Check out the kitchen of the Grand Pacific Hotel. This will get you to the page. http://chicagopc.info/hotels/hotels-g-k/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more