LTH Home

reserve.com - unreliable to the point of useless? [and Tock]

reserve.com - unreliable to the point of useless? [and Tock]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm
    Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm Post #31 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm
    As I reread my post, and then Toria's, I wanted to note:

The intent of my message, and from reading Toria's writings here, I'll assume the same, wasn't to "gain" anything.

The ability to leave a note, to me, wasn't about the comp'd items, that was extra, and appreciated greatly.

The note was to avoid some of my problems in the past with a "special occasion". I've had some bad tables, either out of the way, or in the way. My note was to avoid both, not to gain any freebee.

I have a horrendous table story from Macarena Tapas at Rt59/New York in Aurora. It was a special occasion for me, it was cram every possible air breather into the place at once for them.

So I try and use the Reservation Notes space to avoid that, as that instance, is my reservation albatross.

Incidentally, GREAT meal at Macarena, which is what I call "tapas fusion", but for that small of a space, I'll skip it and go to Mesan Sabika a mile east on NY/Aurora Ave
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #32 - April 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Post #32 - April 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm Post #32 - April 4th, 2021, 4:48 pm
    Well, Tock and Oceanique were happy to collaborate in offering Easter dinner today for pickup at a reasonable price point so we bit. Made the reservation, paid, showed up and guess what? No one's home. Oceanique is locked up tight (cause, after all, they're never open on Sundays). Tock is also asleep. No phone support and finally, half an hour after our plea to the Tock "support" e-mail, they finally respond by saying they have no responsibility. All they do, after all, is advertise, send the confirmation, and take my money (and their cut). No apology, no nothing--just a complete disclaimer of responsibility, other than to say that they'll "take this up" with Oceanique. Well, that'll sure fill our stomachs at the last minute. Thanks.

Overlooking the complete and total lack of "support," the complete inability to even offer so much as a "gee, we're sorry," I don't see going back to Tock anytime soon and certainly not to Oceanique. I wonder if anyone can spell 'inexcusable.'
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #33 - April 4th, 2021, 5:46 pm
    Post #33 - April 4th, 2021, 5:46 pm Post #33 - April 4th, 2021, 5:46 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:Well, Tock and Oceanique were happy to collaborate in offering Easter dinner today for pickup at a reasonable price point so we bit . . .

Dave, I've read your post 3 times now, hoping that it would stop enraging me but that hasn't happened. If anything, I'm getting more angry each time I read it.

I know you're not looking for advice but I'd go right to my credit card company on this. If Tock is anything like Instacart, they'll probably temporarily shut down your account for doing so, while they take their time looking into the matter (but if you're writing them off for good, who cares?). Then, in the meantime, you'll have peace of mind knowing that you've transferred the the burden to the other parties.

If you're going to take someone's money 24/7, you should be there to refund it 24/7, too. "Inexcusable" is a nice way of putting it. One thing seems clear, with these third parties involved, it's no longer the hospitality industry.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #34 - April 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #34 - April 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #34 - April 4th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Many years ago, I had a similar experience with tock. Booked a bread making class at Elizabeth and a glitch caused me to double book so got 2 seats instead of 1.

Didn't think it'd be a big deal and thought I'd get a simple refund on one since I emailed them right away. They said there was nothing I could do except contact the restaurant. Ended up just bringing someone else along.

Haven't had any other issues w tock since but doesn't surprise me that they aren't receptive to helping you out. Nicky Coconuts gives off that type of vibe.
  • Post #35 - April 5th, 2021, 3:55 am
    Post #35 - April 5th, 2021, 3:55 am Post #35 - April 5th, 2021, 3:55 am
    Ron,
    Thanks. The initial response from Tock to two e-mails sent by me standing outside Oceanique was the following (at 5:22 pm...half an hour after my first e-mail):

"We’re happy to help in any way we can. While we provide the technology for our partners, like Oceanique, we do not actively manage their reservations and cannot take any action on their behalf.
    We have reached out to the Oceanique team directly for added visibility.
    Stay safe and thank you for using Tock! "

This, should there be any doubt, is the complete e-mail.

Are you serious? Are you really, totally, completely serious? Please note: no apology, no "golly, we understand it's a major holiday, this is unacceptable, and we're terribly sorry."

In complete fairness, I need to say that after three e-mails to Tock, someone with a modicum of brains finally stepped in to offer the following response by 6:06 pm:

"We understand the frustration and apologize for the misunderstanding. Our business partners have complete control over their inventory and availability. It's very likely that Oceanique's inventory or availability was not properly adjusted for the days that they are open.

We're working with all of our customers as many things are changing surrounding holidays and the COVID-19 related regulations for the hospitality industry. We can assure you that assisting you with a refund is our top priority and we've escalated this response to our contacts at Oceanique directly.

In the meantime, please allow time for the Tock team to connect with the Oceanique team and provide an updated response regarding this order. Our team will be in touch with a resolution." [This is also the complete text.]

I note a couple things:
    (1) Finally, an apology. Of sorts. It's lame and inadequate, but it's better than nothing. I think. BTW, there was no "misunderstanding." You made an offer; I accepted it. I paid. You did not perform. Period.
    (2) Their "inventory or availability was not properly adjusted." Hello? WTF? A restaurant that is never open on Sundays expressly offered and confirmed Easter dinner; they did not make good on their offer. And Oceanique was completely MIA when it happened 'cause, after all, they're CLOSED on Sundays.
    (3) What does the sentence about COVID-19 have to do with this entire problem and why is it even in your message to me?
    (4) Glad to know my refund is a "top priority" although "top priority" in this case apparently means only that you've told Oceanique that it's their responsibility. After all, you've "escalated the response to our contacts" at the restaurant. :roll:
    (5) I just love the idea of allowing the Tock "team" the chance "to connect" with the Oceanique "team" so they can offer a "resolution." The only "resolution" I want is my money. Oh, and an apology from Oceanique might just possibly begin to make me feel slightly better. Tell me, please, what resolution you can possibly offer to address how we were left at 5 pm on Easter Sunday with nothing except pizza, burgers, etc. options. We had leftovers.

I sure do hope they all enjoyed a nice Easter dinner at Nick Kokonas's and at Mark Grosz's house.
    Last edited by Gypsy Boy on April 5th, 2021, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #36 - April 5th, 2021, 7:22 am
    Post #36 - April 5th, 2021, 7:22 am Post #36 - April 5th, 2021, 7:22 am
    And now, from Facebook, here is Oceanique's complete response:
    "We are new to Tock so not sure how this could of happened we are always closed Sundays and Mondays. I'll contact them tomorrow. Please accept a bottle of wine on your next visit or order from us."

Really? Really? Not even an apology? Instead, come spend money at our place and we'll give you a bottle of wine.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #37 - April 5th, 2021, 7:55 am
    Post #37 - April 5th, 2021, 7:55 am Post #37 - April 5th, 2021, 7:55 am
    FWIW, I ordered a Passover dinner meal for delivery from Aba via Tock and I experienced zero issues.
  • Post #38 - April 5th, 2021, 8:12 am
    Post #38 - April 5th, 2021, 8:12 am Post #38 - April 5th, 2021, 8:12 am
    This week I noticed that, through the "hamburger" menu (an IT term) on the Tock website, that you can display a list of all your previous Tock reservations, which gave me some nice memories. FWIW, I've ordered through Tock for 15 different meals (1 later this month, 5 carryouts during the pandemic, the rest pre-pandemic) and never had a problem.

I did notice one instance of Tock accepting reservations when a restaurant wasn't open - they were showing availability in January long after Everest had announced they were closing at the end of the year - so I verified with Everest that it was a mistake and they said they would notify Tock to get it corrected.

Gypsy Boy wrote:And now, from Facebook, here is Oceanique's complete response:
    "We are new to Tock so not sure how this could of happened we are always closed Sundays and Mondays. I'll contact them tomorrow. Please accept a bottle of wine on your next visit or order from us."

Really? Really? Not even an apology? Instead, come spend money at our place and we'll give you a bottle of wine.

Sounds like they'll give you a free bottle of wine even if you order it without buying anything else. Which seems way more generous than an apology. <shrug>
  • Post #39 - April 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm
    Post #39 - April 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm Post #39 - April 5th, 2021, 1:28 pm
    Gypsy Boy - That's so frustrating. It's odd that Oceanique doesn't link to Tock on their website. It really must be a new partnership.
    -Mary
  • Post #40 - April 5th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    Post #40 - April 5th, 2021, 3:05 pm Post #40 - April 5th, 2021, 3:05 pm
    To bring this full circle: I need to say that I just received an e-mail from the owners of Oceanique. They explained, apologized, and are trying hard to do the right thing. We appreciate what they had to say in their e-mail, acknowledge that no matter what happened or how, they are to be thanked and their steps acknowledged.
    Gypsy Boy

• Post #41 - April 6th, 2021, 6:45 am
    Post #41 - April 6th, 2021, 6:45 am Post #41 - April 6th, 2021, 6:45 am
    Not a critique of Gypsy Boy for using the service and getting completely unreservedly mistreated, but what is the allure of using Tock? Is there a discount or anything unique they offer? Considering they take enough of a cut to drum up a $400M valuation, I don't see what there is to gain in using them. They seem like a piranha. Isn't everybody but them better off ordering directly from restaurants? The consumer benefit argument completely falls through when using it makes the consumer bear the risk of this type of misrepresentation.
  • Post #42 - April 6th, 2021, 7:02 am
    Post #42 - April 6th, 2021, 7:02 am Post #42 - April 6th, 2021, 7:02 am
    bweiny wrote:Not a critique of Gypsy Boy for using the service and getting completely unreservedly mistreated, but what is the allure of using Tock? Is there a discount or anything unique they offer? Considering they take enough of a cut to drum up a $400M valuation, I don't see what there is to gain in using them. They seem like a piranha. Isn't everybody but them better off ordering directly from restaurants? The consumer benefit argument completely falls through when using it makes the consumer bear the risk of this type of misrepresentation.

The case above was pretty awful, true -- but I've had only good experiences with Tock, mainly for Elizabeth and various One Off Hospitality things.

I'd thought Tock had the reputation of being less predatory and more restaurant-friendly than OpenTable; there are values to being part of an aggregator: "What restaurants have a table on April 9 at 7PM near Blue Man after the matinee" for a particularly banal example.

It takes a fair amount of effort to set up a website to list your menu, allow ordering, and scheduling -- again, value (we have a whole thread elsewhere on how bad this can be). Tock may have started with the high-end "ticketed" restos, but they got a lot of press with their 'pivot' to supporting carry-out.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #43 - April 6th, 2021, 7:25 am
    Post #43 - April 6th, 2021, 7:25 am Post #43 - April 6th, 2021, 7:25 am
    During normal times, tock was valuable to restaurants in that it decreases the number of cancels/no shows when compared to free reservations. They do that with a "ticket" system or a deposit paid in advance by the customer.

It seems like the shift to carryout seems more beneficial to restaurants as well compared to the evilness that is doordash, gruhub and uber eats.

Yeah tock as a reservation/ordering platform is good. But bc of their business model, I'm sure their employees are taught to not provide refunds as I know the dining public would take advantage of this. But this scenario seems to have been handled poorly and shouldn't have required so much follow up.

And while I know the OP had a terrible experience, I think the restaurant has done enough to rectify the situation. Things happen so I generally try and empathize w a restaurant especially when it has a strong reputation like Oceqnique
  • Post #44 - April 6th, 2021, 7:31 am
    Post #44 - April 6th, 2021, 7:31 am Post #44 - April 6th, 2021, 7:31 am
    Get the utility of Tock as an aggregator and that it would potentially offer something unique in the prepaid reservation situation (ie. restaurants hold a set amount for Tock). But in the carry-out context, I'd always want to place the order directly with the restaurant. I see no benefit in finalizing the transaction via Tock, and a clear potential downside.
  • Post #45 - April 6th, 2021, 7:39 am
    Post #45 - April 6th, 2021, 7:39 am Post #45 - April 6th, 2021, 7:39 am
    bweiny wrote:Get the utility of Tock as an aggregator and that it would potentially offer something unique in the prepaid reservation situation (ie. restaurants hold a set amount for Tock). But in the carry-out context, I'd always want to place the order directly with the restaurant. I see no benefit in finalizing the transaction via Tock, and a clear potential downside.

Totally get the sentiment, but at the same time, I believe some restaurants prefer the convenience that tock provides.

If a restaurant asks that you call directly, I'm always going to do that. But if a restaurant states in their social media posts to click a link to carry out, I'm assuming they prefer that too.

I'll gladly use tock to place an order and feel fine about it. Ditto for toasttab or any homegrown platforms. It's those predatory apps that are some of the worst companies in the world.
  • Post #46 - April 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm
    Post #46 - April 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm Post #46 - April 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm
    bweiny wrote:But in the carry-out context, I'd always want to place the order directly with the restaurant. I see no benefit in finalizing the transaction via Tock, and a clear potential downside.

I get you -- I tend to go the restaurant site first too, but the number of restaurants whose "order online" button takes you to beyondmenu or doordash or tock is pretty huge.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #47 - April 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm
    Post #47 - April 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm Post #47 - April 14th, 2021, 7:53 pm
    Is the non-refundable deposit the main selling point for restaurants on Tock? It makes total sense for busy places like Alinea, but I was checking for openings for a friend at a place that shall remain nameless, and somehow made a reservation. No option to cancel, even 5 seconds after doing that, and the restaurant confirmed that on the phone. It's not busy (literally every 15-min increment from 4-10pm are still available), so I guess the free $20 they occasionally get from that is worth more than annoying their potential customers?
  • Post #48 - April 15th, 2021, 7:52 am
    Post #48 - April 15th, 2021, 7:52 am Post #48 - April 15th, 2021, 7:52 am
    Tambreet wrote:Is the non-refundable deposit the main selling point for restaurants on Tock? It makes total sense for busy places like Alinea, but I was checking for openings for a friend at a place that shall remain nameless, and somehow made a reservation. No option to cancel, even 5 seconds after doing that, and the restaurant confirmed that on the phone. It's not busy (literally every 15-min increment from 4-10pm are still available), so I guess the free $20 they occasionally get from that is worth more than annoying their potential customers?

I can't speak to the selling points. I think restaurants have different policies and uses of Tock. Did the restaurant not take phone reservations?
    -Mary
  • Post #49 - April 22nd, 2021, 2:49 pm
    Post #49 - April 22nd, 2021, 2:49 pm Post #49 - April 22nd, 2021, 2:49 pm
    A note on Tock's fees: The Happy Lobster Food Truck order I placed on Tuesday for Wednesday pickup noted that Tock gets a 3% fee from the vendor. If that's all they're taking out, it's barely more than the credit card processing. Perhaps there's a sliding scale from pure-pickup to traditional reservation to ticketed meal, but I'd definitely have to consider Tock if it pays for the payment processing too.

Now I could be wrong: There may be a processing fee on top of the commission, and I can't imagine the email I got from Tock advertising the food truck was free of additional charges.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #50 - November 18th, 2022, 2:12 pm
    Post #50 - November 18th, 2022, 2:12 pm Post #50 - November 18th, 2022, 2:12 pm
    Tock’s Nick Kokonas to Leave Reservation Company He Founded

https://flip.it/h875HM
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #51 - November 18th, 2022, 2:24 pm
    Post #51 - November 18th, 2022, 2:24 pm Post #51 - November 18th, 2022, 2:24 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Tock’s Nick Kokonas to Leave Reservation Company He Founded

https://flip.it/h875HM

Seems like after the buy-out, this was only a matter of time. Guessing it signifies the expiration of an earn-out.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more