Post #1292 - July 22nd, 2021, 4:56 am Post #1292 - July 22nd, 2021, 4:56 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Nice wiener, Gar-Bear! :D

Snappy, taut and juicy.
    :oops: :shock: :oops:
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1293 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:23 am
    Post #1293 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:23 am Post #1293 - July 22nd, 2021, 7:23 am
    The garden is coming into its own: While the lettuce is bolting, there's still a lot of useful leaves left on the romaine and spinach. Herbs are flourishing, I grabbed some basil and oregano (for its mintiness) to go with the cilantro in the fridge to make a Thai grilled chicken salad (using my usual recipe for nuea nam tok but more herbs). A few cherry tomatoes, some cucumber, a sweet pepper that's not quite full color but not green tasting, simply-grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast (just salt), everything sliced up with toasted rice powder and the dressing below. Nothing says summer like this dish for me.

(serves 2)
    1/2 C lemon juice
    1/4 C fish sauce
    1 shallot, diced fine
    1 scallion, diced fine
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    about 3/4-1 C chopped fresh herbs (cilantro with stems and roots if you can get 'em, basil, mint, I used oregano)
    Combine everything above in a measuring cup

ground toasted rice (about 1/2 tsp per plate)

Arrange lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sweet pepper slices on plate, top with sliced grilled meat, dust with rice powder, spoon dressing over everything, enjoy.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1294 - July 25th, 2021, 12:48 am
    Post #1294 - July 25th, 2021, 12:48 am Post #1294 - July 25th, 2021, 12:48 am
    Coming briefly out of retirement to post a "Thank you" to (who else?) ronnie_suburban for the inspiration. Not sure what it was about your recent "pad ka-prao" post (post # 1281) but it got me off the grill and to a local supermarket for some supplies.

I winged things pretty liberally but ended up with a spicy, sweet, tasty treat for dinner. My wife (very spice-adverse) kept coming back to the leftovers like a moth to the flame.

Thanks LTHForum! It's been too long.

• Post #1295 - July 25th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    Post #1295 - July 25th, 2021, 3:50 pm Post #1295 - July 25th, 2021, 3:50 pm
    Bridgestone wrote:Coming briefly out of retirement to post a "Thank you" to (who else?) ronnie_suburban for the inspiration. Not sure what it was about your recent "pad ka-prao" post (post # 1281) but it got me off the grill and to a local supermarket for some supplies.

I'm honored that I could inspire LTH's cooking-post OG! Great to "see" you. Needless to say, the dish looks spectacular. I hope you and the family are doing well. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1296 - July 25th, 2021, 10:25 pm
    Post #1296 - July 25th, 2021, 10:25 pm Post #1296 - July 25th, 2021, 10:25 pm
    Sort of a halfway-between-weekly-CSA-deliveries use-up tonight . . .

Pepper Medley & Takeda Stainless Clad Nakiri, 170mm
    Bell, Banana and Shishito. I ended up stir-frying these to make a nice pepper medley.

Stir-Fried Pepper Medley
    I tasted a few of them raw and they were all totally mild but even so, a few of the banana peppers ended up being very hot, so that injected some excitement into the cooking (the vapors were strong) and dinner! :lol:

And with the first corn of the season, from Three Sisters Garden, in mind . . .

Esquites Mise En Place & Takeda Stainless Clad Nakiri, 170mm
    Lime, cilantro (from our garden), ancho chile powder, crema, mayonesa and cotija.

Easy-breezy, just mix it all together and use it in esquites or on elotes. Decided on grilled corn esquites . . .

Charcoal-Grilled Corn

And of course, the old standby for our main course . . .

Charcoal Grilled Chicken Thighs
    Quick on-the-fly rub of salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, ancho chile powder, freshly ground cumin seed and Mexican oregano.

Plated Up
    Chicken, pepper medley and esquites.

=R=
  • Post #1297 - July 27th, 2021, 5:53 am
    Post #1297 - July 27th, 2021, 5:53 am Post #1297 - July 27th, 2021, 5:53 am
    Soft shell crab on the grill for the Bride's actual birthday. Corn and marinated asparagus not show.

click to enlarge

Soft shell crab, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1298 - July 28th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    Post #1298 - July 28th, 2021, 6:52 pm Post #1298 - July 28th, 2021, 6:52 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Soft shell crab on the grill for the Bride's actual birthday. Corn and marinated asparagus not shown.

Lovely . . . the Bride (and the dinner)! :)

Felt good to be cooking again after a couple of involuntary days off. Still quite busy at work, so went with a quick-prep family favorite after I got home. But first, I needed to restock the weekly slaw, the last batch of which we finished off in less than a week . . .

Green Cabbage & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm

Once I got that going with 1.5% salt (and prepping the dressing), it was on to the dinner, Hatcho miso & sake marinated short ribs, which I actually started marinating on Sunday! :shock: I originally planned to cook them on Monday or maybe Tuesday but circumstances took me in another direction. I was concerned but it was unwarranted. Three days in the marinade didn't have an adverse effect, perhaps, in part, because Whole Food sliced these grass-fed short ribs very thick. That was a misstep that worked in my favor this time. But to their credit, these were $10.99/pound, which is a lot lower than just about any other place I've bought these lately.

On The Platter
    Charcoal-grilled hatcho miso & sake marinated short ribs.

Plated Up
    With donburi-style simmered broccoli, garnished with togarashi, and zojirushi'd jasmine rice, garnished with chives.

Happy Wednesday! :wink:

=R=
  • Post #1299 - July 28th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Post #1299 - July 28th, 2021, 9:31 pm Post #1299 - July 28th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Sausage, peppers, onion, giardiniera, melted burrata = dinner.

click to enlarge

Sausage & Peppers, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1300 - July 29th, 2021, 8:29 am
    Post #1300 - July 29th, 2021, 8:29 am Post #1300 - July 29th, 2021, 8:29 am
    Tacos of roasted poblano, bacon and onions.

ImageRoasting Poblano is much better than simply slicing and sauteing. While there are many ways to roast them, I put them directly on the stovetop and when blackened all around steam them in a paper sack. Then, slice off the top, pour accumulated juices into the fry pan, wash off the skin and dice.
    Image Crisp up home made bacon and dice.
    Image Fry onions in the bacon fat until golden, add poblano and bacon and heat through and add a little worcheister sauce and pepper.
  • Post #1301 - July 29th, 2021, 10:40 am
    Post #1301 - July 29th, 2021, 10:40 am Post #1301 - July 29th, 2021, 10:40 am
    lougord99 wrote:Roasting Poblano is much better than simply slicing and sauteing. While there are many ways to roast them, I put them directly on the stovetop and when blackened all around steam them in a paper sack. Then, slice off the top, pour accumulated juices into the fry pan, wash off the skin and dice.

I've gotten much more consistent results using a torch, versus stovetop -- too many nooks and crannies to get a good char where all the skin will come off, if you just have three or four positions sitting on a stove grate. It also tends to cook the pepper less -- if you want the crunch without the "cellophane" of the skins, torches really are the way to go.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1302 - July 29th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #1302 - July 29th, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #1302 - July 29th, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Back at the grill for another quick, after-work dinner. Weeknight SausageFest . . .

Cevapcici
    Working these beauts on the indirect side, where they cooked covered most of the way for about 12 minutes.

Grilling Completed
    Cevapcici, German garlic sausage (stubbies), and grilling sausage, which resemble small kielbasas.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled sausages with homemade, dill-jalapeno pickles, weekly slaw, leftover pepper medley and leftover grilled onions. Really nice, after a crazy-busy day, to cook one thing and still have a nice plate, filled with a bunch of already-prepared, homemade items.

=R=
  • Post #1303 - July 30th, 2021, 12:14 am
    Post #1303 - July 30th, 2021, 12:14 am Post #1303 - July 30th, 2021, 12:14 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:a bunch of already-prepared, homemade items.

Did you make all those sausages? Impressive!
  • Post #1304 - July 30th, 2021, 7:53 am
    Post #1304 - July 30th, 2021, 7:53 am Post #1304 - July 30th, 2021, 7:53 am
    tjr wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:a bunch of already-prepared, homemade items.

Did you make all those sausages? Impressive!

No! Everything else. It's been a while since I made sausage. Probably soon, though.

=R=
  • Post #1305 - July 30th, 2021, 8:24 am
    Post #1305 - July 30th, 2021, 8:24 am Post #1305 - July 30th, 2021, 8:24 am
    I went super easy, all from Morelia Supermarket. Carnitas, Oaxaca cheese, salsa (house made, they have 5-6 types and I have not had a stinker yet), tortillas, crema, sliced radish, lime. All from Morelia on Western. Two neighbors were over and there was enough for an impromptu invite, they both raved, though neither is conversant with non Wholly Frijoles type "Mexican"

Morelia Supermarket hot bar is a wonder, rotating selection of at least ten items. It's a really terrific grocery, the radishes are worth the trip alone. Yes, I still love Carniceria Guanajuato but have room for more than one Mexican grocery love. :)

Morelia Supermarket, count me a Fan!

Morelia Supermarket
    7300 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60645
    773-61-3291

Carniceria Guanajuato #3
    3140 N California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-267-7739
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1306 - July 30th, 2021, 11:02 pm
    Post #1306 - July 30th, 2021, 11:02 pm Post #1306 - July 30th, 2021, 11:02 pm
    More from Morelia on Western. Tacos of fresh chorizo sauteed with jalapeno, garlic and onion with Oaxaca cheese, salsa and crema. Radish, chips and pico de gallo on the side

Horrid picture alert, though tasty.

Chorizo, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1307 - August 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm
    Post #1307 - August 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm Post #1307 - August 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm
    A household favorite we haven't had in a while, Thai-style red curry chicken . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Slivered shallots, Thai eggplant, Thai basil (from our garden), brown shimeji mushrooms, quartered cremini mushrooms, poached bamboo shoots (still in package), peanut oil, chicken thigh meat, 4x gelatinous chicken stock, Thai bird's eye chilis & kaffir lime leaves, coconut milk, Maesri red curry paste, young green peppercorns, gapi, fish sauce and kale.

First time out with the poached bamboo shoots, as fresh continue to be elusive. Same tender texture as canned but with a cleaner flavor that comes much closer fresh. Also, first time out with the young green peppercorns. My goal was to add some additional heat and also impart another flavor dimension. That said, I just threw one cluster into the mix to simmer along the way and if it added anything, I didn't notice it. More of them, simmered longer in a thinner broth would have probably been a better approach.

Plated Up
    Here, you can see the cluster of young green peppercorns -- still intact -- which I fished out when I plated everything up. Served with some rice cooker'd jasmine rice.

=R=
  • Post #1308 - August 1st, 2021, 6:36 pm
    Post #1308 - August 1st, 2021, 6:36 pm Post #1308 - August 1st, 2021, 6:36 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Also, first time out with the young green peppercorns. My goal was to add some additional heat and also impart another flavor dimension. That said, I just threw one cluster into the mix to simmer along the way and if it added anything, I didn't notice it.
    =R=

What about grinding them in the mortar and adding them to the curry paste before cooking the curry paste.
  • Post #1309 - August 1st, 2021, 7:35 pm
    Post #1309 - August 1st, 2021, 7:35 pm Post #1309 - August 1st, 2021, 7:35 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Also, first time out with the young green peppercorns. My goal was to add some additional heat and also impart another flavor dimension. That said, I just threw one cluster into the mix to simmer along the way and if it added anything, I didn't notice it.
    =R=

What about grinding them in the mortar and adding them to the curry paste before cooking the curry paste.

I've only ever seen them used whole in dishes but I suppose they could have been in there as you describe and I never woud have known. Everybody I've seen use them on youtube has used them whole. Definitely worth a shot, though. I did chew on one before I cooked and once I got past the brine, it had a flavor very similar to black peppercorn flavor.

=R=
  • Post #1310 - August 1st, 2021, 8:30 pm
    Post #1310 - August 1st, 2021, 8:30 pm Post #1310 - August 1st, 2021, 8:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:First time out with the poached bamboo shoots, as fresh continue to be elusive. Same tender texture as canned but with a cleaner flavor that comes much closer fresh. Also, first time out with the young green peppercorns.

Two items I dig, nicely done on the Thai curry.

No pics though a terrific dinner. Fresh corn and peaches, three and two, from Ellen's excursion to the Wheaton French Market. Had other items on tap but after the deliciousness of the market items they seemed superfluous.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1311 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm
    Post #1311 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm Post #1311 - August 2nd, 2021, 7:06 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Had other items on tap but after the deliciousness of the market items they seemed superfluous.

And that's a beautiful thing! :)

Mrs. Suburban and I threw this one together pretty quickly after I got home from work. All in all, not a bad outcome. First up, side dishery . . .

Cremini mushrooms, sliced garlic, scallions, veg oil, 4x gelatinous chicken stock, black bean garlic sauce and shoyu (ended up not using this).

Just a quick, two-step stir fry, blistering the scallions first, then adding the mushrooms. Later, when they started to give off their moisture, I added the garlic/black bean sauce and the stock. Added the garlic at various stages along the way, which gave it some multi-dimensionality. Was going to add shoyu at this point but after a taste, I decided that the salt was right on the money.

There were also steaks . . .

NY Strips, Grilling

On The Platter

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled NY strip steaks with stir-fried mushrooms & scallions and esquites.

Interior Shot
    Always a relief when I know that I didn't ruin them.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=
  • Post #1312 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:03 am
    Post #1312 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:03 am Post #1312 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:03 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Always a relief when I know that I didn't ruin them.

No one is ever going to say "Where's the Beef" at Ronnie's house. :)
    Beautiful steaks!
    =-=-
    We had pan cooked burgers, lightly sauteed onions, farmers market green beans and cucumbers. Green beans were steamed, dollop of good butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, tasty and simple, just like me. :)

click to enlarge

Green beans, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1313 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm
    Post #1313 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm Post #1313 - August 3rd, 2021, 7:09 pm
    G Wiv wrote:. . . tasty and simple, just like me. :)

You took the words right out of my mouth! :lol:

Another night at the grill (and the wok) yielded some tasty results. Once again, 'tis the season for conehead cabbage . . .

Conehead Cabbage
    I think it's from France. :wink:

Cabbage Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Gyuto, 210mm
    Conehead cabbage, slivered garlic, salt, black pepper, black pepper sauce and fried shallot/garlic oil.

Hot and fast in the wok until wilted and tender but not mushy. Added the garlic along the way to layer its flavor, and the black pepper sauce at the very end. Was making a bed for our main course . . .

Grilling
    U-12 shrimp that I peeled (making stock with the shells), oiled and seasoned in one of my homemade rubs. By the time I put the last one down over the coals, the first one was ready to flip. I think these spent about 3 minutes cooking directly over the coals.

On The Platter
    Grilled Shrimp Over Stir-Fried Conehead Cabbage.

Plated Up
    Garnished with chives (from our garden), homemade chili oil and served with some of yesterday's mushroom & scallion mix.

=R=
  • Post #1314 - August 4th, 2021, 7:33 pm
    Post #1314 - August 4th, 2021, 7:33 pm Post #1314 - August 4th, 2021, 7:33 pm
    Wednesday night, pre-CSA fridge clean-out led to the rather cheezy sounding Stir Fry Four Flavors, which sounds like it would fit right in on the menu at some divey restaurant of dubious quality. Well, if you want to master the wok . . . definitely do not ask me! But I am having fun with it, making some half-decent food and keeping the family fed/amused along the way . . .

Leftover grilling sausages, leftover cevaps, fermented black beans, minced garlic, Japanese eggplant, shaoxing cooking wine, soy sauce, veg oil, green beans, scallion tops, purple & white cauliflower and scallion bottoms.

At first, I planned on just cooking everything together but when I stopped to consider just how much was there, I decided that was a bad idea. So, I cooked things in rapid-fire shifts, varying the flavors slightly for each of the main ingredients.

The Four Flavors
    Sausages with garlic and scallion bottoms, green beans with fermented black beans and garlic, eggplant with shaoxing wine, garlic and black vinegar (not pictured above) and cauliflower with garlic and 4x gelatinous chicken stock (also not pictured above).

Plated Up
    Kind of a goofy scheme but it ended up being really tasty. The four flavors were all distinctive and went together well.

=R=
  • Post #1315 - August 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm
    Post #1315 - August 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm Post #1315 - August 4th, 2021, 10:42 pm
    Channeling my inner Jewish grandmother.

click to enlarge

Chicken Soup, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1316 - August 5th, 2021, 5:13 pm
    Post #1316 - August 5th, 2021, 5:13 pm Post #1316 - August 5th, 2021, 5:13 pm
    Short ribs are $6.99/lb at whole foods this week. Grilling flanken tonight for the first time. Usually I just get the fatties and smoke/grill them.

-Will
  • Post #1317 - August 5th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    Post #1317 - August 5th, 2021, 6:59 pm Post #1317 - August 5th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    WillG wrote:Short ribs are $6.99/lb at whole foods this week. Grilling flanken tonight for the first time. Usually I just get the fatties and smoke/grill them.

That is an impressively low price, especially in a still-rising market. Even their regular, $10.99/pound price is excellent right now. Thanks, for the heads up.

More beef over here tonight, this time skirt steaks from Sunset and they were expensive but worth it. This is my favorite cut from Sunset and honestly, the only beef I ever buy there. First up, though, getting RID of some more CSA items . . .

Cucumbers & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Peeled, seeded, sliced and salted. Once drained, I combined these with some Sichuan-style sauce I had leftover from a batch of poached chicken I made last week.

Baby Artichokes & Konosuke YW White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
    Once trimmed down, there wasn't a whole lot here but they sure were taking up a lot of room in the fridge, so it was great to get rid of them.

Sauteed Baby Artichokes
    Evoo, lemon juice, garlic, salt and black pepper. Steamed them in the lemon juice and a touch of water until they were tender, then finished them with the other ingredients before service. There were a few on which I could have removed a few more of the outer leaves but overall, these were tender and delicious.

On The Platter
    Charcoal-grilled skirt steaks with Manale spice mix.

Plated Up
    Skirt steak, Sichuan-style cucumber salad and sauteed baby artichokes.

Interior Shot
    Juicy! :D

=R=
  • Post #1318 - August 6th, 2021, 6:21 pm
    Post #1318 - August 6th, 2021, 6:21 pm Post #1318 - August 6th, 2021, 6:21 pm
    Weekly beans have kind of slipped into ~monthly beans but decided to make a pot today, mainly because I was working from home and was in the mood to make/eat them . . .

Rancho Gordo Pinto Beans
    Auto-focus on my camera kept going for the face on the label, as if it were a real face! :lol:

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki AS Fujin Gyuto, 240mm
    Serranos, jalapenos & bay leaf, salt, onion, evoo, minced garlic, black pepper and pinto beans.

I had time, so I soaked the beans, and then cooked them in the soaking water. When I don't have time, I don't bother soaking them, though they take a bit longer to cook when they're not soaked. Fresh peppers get slitted and go into the simmer whole. That's 2 tsp of Morton kosher salt, which seems like the perfect amount of salt for a pound of beans that aren't being started with some form of cured meat.

Wanted to cook a bit more but decided to keep it super simple, so went with some grilled burgers (and a leftover piece of sausage) . . .

On The Platter
    Charcoal-grilled cheddar/American cheeseburgers and a section of Ukrainian kielbasa.

Plated Up
    Grilled double-cheeseburger on a toasted sesame seed bun with ~monthly pinto beans, a blob of the weekly slaw and some of the first cherry tomatoes from our garden. Burger was condimented with ketchup, yellow mustard, kewpie mayo, grilled onions, shredded romaine and thin slices of homemade jalapeno dill pickles.

=R=
  • Post #1319 - August 7th, 2021, 5:13 am
    Post #1319 - August 7th, 2021, 5:13 am Post #1319 - August 7th, 2021, 5:13 am
    I channeled my inner Ronnie and made some slaw as a topping for my marinated shrimp tacos. Dressed the slaw with oil, green onions, cilantro, garlic, salt, lime juice and sour cream.
  • Post #1320 - August 7th, 2021, 3:54 pm
    Post #1320 - August 7th, 2021, 3:54 pm Post #1320 - August 7th, 2021, 3:54 pm
    WillG wrote:Short ribs are $6.99/lb at whole foods this week. Grilling flanken tonight for the first time. Usually I just get the fatties and smoke/grill them.

-Will

Thanks for the tip. Braising some bone-ins for dinner tonight.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more