LTH Home

Benjyehuda

Benjyehuda
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Benjyehuda

Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm
    Benjyehuda

Bopped over to Benjyehuda for lunch; the interior design reminded me a lot of Belly Shack: kind of a Ridley Scott vision of post-industrial, cross-cultural casualness, vibrant, urban, slightly threatening and confusing. The interior is rough looking (intentional scorch marks on counters; tuff, durable booths and stools) but totally comfortable.

I had the “flight”: steak, chicken shwarma and falafel in cute little pita pockets, topped with some salad, tahini and Mediterranean pickles (not fully sure what that means).

We Chicagoans like some heat on the meat, and Benjyehuda has a house salsa that packs enough Scovilles to enliven more subtle Middle Eastern spicing (garlic, parsley, turmeric, white and black pepper).

French fries looked and tasted fresh-cut, but chef/owner told me they’re frozen – still really good. Merkt’s cheese comes on the side in container (thought it would be drizzled hot over the top of the fries, but no).

Nice people behind counter (but check receipts – I was double-billed for an item, which is tough to do when the menu is so limited).

Overall, I liked this place, and it was kind of cool wandering along Van Buren for maybe the first time in decades – some old-looking restaurants along there, surviving, I’m guessing, because personnel from CBOT, CBOE, etc. need a place to eat lunch (Benjyehuda is supposedly open until 4 but they usually seem to close at 3PM).

Benjyehuda
    212 W. Van Buren
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 5:46 pm
    Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 5:46 pm Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 5:46 pm
    I had lunch with Editor-in-Chief Morowitz here not that long ago. In general, the level of our crappy falafal places has gone way up in recent times, and I mean that in a very good way. If I worked downtown, I would be at Benjyehuda on a regular basis. The flight, as pictured, is an especially good deal.

I will say, that I had lunch at Naf Naf the other day, and their fresh cut fries, and help your self pickles are something for Benjyehuda to aspire.

And call me crazy, but FalaFILL is my favorite of the bunch.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 10:36 pm
    Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 10:36 pm Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 10:36 pm
    I refuse to call you crazy. I have been to FalaFILL twice now, and while I could wish for a cozier interior, I was very impressed with my meal. Happened to sit next to 2 of the owners and "chef" who pleasantly/aggressively grilled me on my responses---first incognito, then they gave it up. They say they're looking to expand. Personally, I hope so.
    I liked every single thing I've tasted on the accoutrements bar, which has always been beautifully maintained---no drips or spills hanging around, each bin always seems freshly filled and brimming---and my falafel was fresh from the fryer both times. I'm sure they must occasionally keep some under a lamp for a while, but I must have lucked out, and it was real good.
    Benjyehuda is just a bit outside my comfort zone for walking from the office and getting back in time, but I'll have to give it a go. Pics looked very promising.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #4 - November 25th, 2009, 1:22 pm
    Post #4 - November 25th, 2009, 1:22 pm Post #4 - November 25th, 2009, 1:22 pm
    I've been to Benjyehuda twice now since I started working nearby. It's only a block away, and I can never have too much falafel.

I've only tried the falafel wrap, the soup and the fries to date. I'm planning on getting the flight next week. As I mentioned in a different thread, the fries here are terrific. I'm also surprised to hear that they aren't fresh cut -- the texture of the fries is perfect. Crisp exterior, soft and creamy interior. I was actually happy to see that I could control the amount of cheese on the fries because it is served separately.

I'll be a frequent diner here. I only wish they offered a frequent diner card.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #5 - November 26th, 2009, 6:33 am
    Post #5 - November 26th, 2009, 6:33 am Post #5 - November 26th, 2009, 6:33 am
    sdritz wrote:I was actually happy to see that I could control the amount of cheese on the fries because it is served separately.

I guess the dipping cup for cheese makes sense, too, from a diner comfort perspective: people dressed nice for work probably don't want to get fingers covered with cheese (though I was kind of looking forward to big mess of cheese splattered spuds).

I hardly ever eat in that area, so I'm not savvy to pricing, but does lunch at Benjyehuda seem on the high side or just about right?
  • Post #6 - December 2nd, 2009, 1:37 pm
    Post #6 - December 2nd, 2009, 1:37 pm Post #6 - December 2nd, 2009, 1:37 pm
    My friend and I made the hike from the Randolph and Wacker area today. We had high hopes, but won't be returning given the hike. We each ordered the flight. The chicken was rather bland; the steak was good, but I didn't like the chopped up size (I can't explain it, but the texture was not to my liking). The falafel was really crunchy. I liked the cucumber condiment that they use. The fries were a let down. There were some good ones in the bunch, but there were some that tasted old or overcooked.
  • Post #7 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:21 pm
    Post #7 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:21 pm Post #7 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:21 pm
    Pucca - we must have just missed you but ran into Dosagirl when we arrived at 12:30 today. My friend and I shared a falafel and chicken shawerma. I thought the falafel was decent with a good texture but a bit lacking in flavor. The chicken shawerma was underseasoned but otherwise tasty. I enjoyed the pickles, Jerusalem salad and other condiments. If I were closer, it would be a fine occasional lunch option. As it's across the Loop from my office, like you, I probably won't think to head down there very often.
  • Post #8 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Post #8 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:24 pm Post #8 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:24 pm
    Hellodali wrote:Pucca - we must have just missed you but ran into Dosagirl when we arrived at 12:30 today.
    What a coincidence. I probably left right around 12:30 b/c my friend had a 1pm, and I was at my desk by 12:48.
  • Post #9 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:32 pm
    Post #9 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:32 pm Post #9 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:32 pm
    Hellodali wrote:The chicken shawerma was underseasoned

Yes, I found that the housemade hot sauce came in quite handy with the chicken.

Another standout, also very underseasoned, were the cabbage and carrot salads...but I really liked that they were so unmessed with.
  • Post #10 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:51 pm
    Post #10 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:51 pm Post #10 - December 2nd, 2009, 4:51 pm
    I have not been in yet but the menu/concept seemed very similar to I Dream of Falafel @ 331 S Franklin (literally just around the corner).

Any comparison?
  • Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 12:50 pm Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 12:50 pm
    Haven't been in here for a few weeks, but the last time I went I ordered the flight. I decided not to get the cheese for my fries and instead dipped them into the hot sauce. A delicious option. I'm going back today to try the fries dipped in cheese AND hot sauce.

Suzy
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
    Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 1:24 pm
    Stopped by Benjyehuda for lunch today. I just changed jobs so I am exploring a new part of the loop.

I ordered a chicken shawarama pita and the fries. I got my pita with hummus, hot sauce, pickles and romaine lettuce. I thought all the condiments were fresh and well seasoned. I especially liked the hot sauce. The chicken was a tad dry and underseasoned, but overall tasty (as descibed above).

My fries were quite good--crispy on the outside, soft and potato-y on the inside. I dipped my fries in a hot sauce/ketchup combination.

I plan on hitting I Dream of Falafel next week to compare.
  • Post #13 - July 15th, 2010, 7:00 am
    Post #13 - July 15th, 2010, 7:00 am Post #13 - July 15th, 2010, 7:00 am
    The location of this restaurant is going to draw inevitable comparisons to I Dream of Falafel around the corner. I've eaten at both places a number of times and I'm pointing to "I Dream" as the clear victor in the battle of these similar neighbors.

Personally, I want to like Benjyehuda more. It has more of an independent, family-run feeling (I do think it is a husband and wife operation). Their offerings are a bit more diverse and everything always seems freshly prepared.

But, they fall short in the flavor department. Nearly everything there, except the fries, lacks salt or acidity. The hummous tastes like a bland chickpea puree and I find the other accompaniments equally lacking in punch. When everything is mixed together on a sandwich or on a bed of rice with a lot of hotsauce, it's not bad, but it's certainly lacking in flavor. "I Dream" on the other hand has somehow found a way to have me scrounging for every last bit of hummous and meat.

I do like "Benjyehudas" soups and the fact that they make their own churros (which is weirdly amusing), but for a quick lunch, I find myself craving their competitors.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #14 - July 15th, 2010, 8:16 am
    Post #14 - July 15th, 2010, 8:16 am Post #14 - July 15th, 2010, 8:16 am
    I asked them about the churros once. They said they were selling "urban street food".
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #15 - July 15th, 2010, 8:17 am
    Post #15 - July 15th, 2010, 8:17 am Post #15 - July 15th, 2010, 8:17 am
    jesteinf wrote:I asked them about the churros once. They said they were selling "urban street food".

Yeah, that's their motto. See website:
    http://www.benjyehuda.com/
  • Post #16 - July 15th, 2010, 8:35 am
    Post #16 - July 15th, 2010, 8:35 am Post #16 - July 15th, 2010, 8:35 am
    jesteinf wrote:I asked them about the churros once. They said they were selling "urban street food".

That mash-up of different ethnic foods in the neo-industrial setting is one of the reasons I think I got a Ridley Scott vibe from the place. Plus it's under the El, kind of dingy and dark, like the the lower levels of L.A. circa 2019.

David "Still can't believe Deckard is a replicant" Hammond
  • Post #17 - July 15th, 2010, 8:40 am
    Post #17 - July 15th, 2010, 8:40 am Post #17 - July 15th, 2010, 8:40 am
    David Hammond wrote:

That mash-up of different ethnic foods in the neo-industrial setting is one of the reasons I think I got a Ridley Scott vibe from the place. Plus it's under the El, kind of dingy and dark, like the the lower levels of L.A. circa 2019.

David "Still can't believe Deckard is a replicant" Hammond

Ha, I can definitely see a sort of Blade Runner-esque vibe. Although, it tends to get lost when they're playing an Elton John concert on one of the flat screens.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #18 - October 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    Post #18 - October 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm Post #18 - October 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    Just discovered this place after figuring out (after many visits) that Roti and I Dream of Falafel were just OK. I always go either chicken pita or the chicken plate w rice. The char/seasoning on their chicken coupled with their amazing hot sauce is what makes this place for me. I haven't even tried their much lauded fries and I still love this place. Also the Mom and Pop nature of Benjyehuda verses the ever-expanding schwarma chains in the loop is a plus.
  • Post #19 - November 2nd, 2011, 1:43 pm
    Post #19 - November 2nd, 2011, 1:43 pm Post #19 - November 2nd, 2011, 1:43 pm
    Haven't been in Benjyehuda for several months now, but I've been back twice this week. I stopped in yesterday for a falafel and cheese fries. Food is as good as ever, everything fresh. Today I met my cousin for lunch and he asked to go there. I got the chicken schwarma box over romaine, with everything. It was a tremendous amount of food. I still managed to finish the whole thing and am thinking seriously about going back a third time tomorrow. :oops:

While a lot of people have said the schwarma is underspiced, there was such a diversity of flavors in the box that I think anything spicier would not have tasted worked together as well. I love that some of the toppings are crunchy and some are not -- it was one of the best lunches in a box I've had in a long time. I've also noticed that many times when I walk past on my lunch hour the line is completely out the door, so they must be doing something right!

Suzy
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #20 - April 8th, 2012, 10:48 am
    Post #20 - April 8th, 2012, 10:48 am Post #20 - April 8th, 2012, 10:48 am
    I think Benjyehuda has really hit their stride. The husband and wife owners are nearly always there, and they find the time for a few friendly words despite the long lunch lines. (The line does go pretty quickly, though - - they're nearly as quick as Chipotle.)

My only problem with Benjyehuda is that the french fries are so good that I struggle to avoid them and order a healthier lunch. My regular order is the Flight, which comes with three small pita sandwiches (I do two chicken and one falafel) and way too many fries. Despite the fact that I've probably only eaten there ten times over the past two years, one of the owners remembers that I like extra pickles, and is happy to pile them on. Their hot sauce is great, too, and I usually dip the fries in it instead of ketchup.

I now only go to I Dream of Falafel when I feel like I should avoid the fries. I think the food is way better at Benjyehuda. In fact, Benjyehuda is probably my favorite fast food lunch within a five minute walk of the office. (No, it's not as good as Middle Eastern food elsewhere -- it's just really good for the Loop.)

Ronna
  • Post #21 - August 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm
    Post #21 - August 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm Post #21 - August 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm
    Benjyehuda is a regular in my rotation. I can get one of the falafel bowls with a rice base, load it up with all the toppings and eat for two lunches. I mix everything together so it's not a pretty dish by the time I'm done but it tastes good. I learned something about their falafel today. On Fridays, there is an option for regular or spicy falafel. I believe they add chile de arbol to the mix to make them spicy. I did a mix of regular and spicy one week and that was enough for me. Today being Wednesday, I was confused by the spice level of my falafel. Turns out the regular falafel has some jalapeno added to the mix. Good to know!
    -Mary
  • Post #22 - February 18th, 2017, 9:04 am
    Post #22 - February 18th, 2017, 9:04 am Post #22 - February 18th, 2017, 9:04 am
    The Northwest Suburbs will get a taste of the wraps and fries from BenjYehuda. The mini-chain plans on opening a space in Schaumburg next week.

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/6/14195 ... pring-2017
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #23 - November 15th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    Post #23 - November 15th, 2021, 12:30 pm Post #23 - November 15th, 2021, 12:30 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    The Northwest Suburbs will get a taste of the wraps and fries from BenjYehuda. The mini-chain plans on opening a space in Schaumburg next week.

http://chicago.eater.com/2017/1/6/14195 ... pring-2017

I thought I had posted previously on my experience at Benjyehuda Schaumburg,
    1020 N Meacham Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60173.

I went today after a long hiatus due to Covid, I'm now back in my office.

Chicken Shwarma is my go to and the pita sandwich did not disappoint, it is a good solid sandwich. I find it somewhat telling that when I mention to others that I've been, the response is something along the lines of "great fries", the shwarma is rarely mentioned.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #24 - November 16th, 2021, 9:29 am
    Post #24 - November 16th, 2021, 9:29 am Post #24 - November 16th, 2021, 9:29 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:I find it somewhat telling that when I mention to others that I've been, the response is something along the lines of "great fries", the shwarma is rarely mentioned.

As someone who's eaten great fries, I'll dispute that claim. Benjyehuda, like Naf Naf downtown has fallen off, quality-wise. Maybe it's difficult to expand and control quality (never did it myself, so I have no idea), but what was a "pretty good" meal in the pre-COVID era is now disappointing. May also be that the bloom is off the rose in that falafel/shawarma places were a rarity some years back and suddenly they were everywhere, so fatigue set in.
  • Post #25 - November 16th, 2021, 5:10 pm
    Post #25 - November 16th, 2021, 5:10 pm Post #25 - November 16th, 2021, 5:10 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:I find it somewhat telling that when I mention to others that I've been, the response is something along the lines of "great fries", the shwarma is rarely mentioned.

As someone who's eaten great fries, I'll dispute that claim. Benjyehuda, like Naf Naf downtown has fallen off, quality-wise. Maybe it's difficult to expand and control quality (never did it myself, so I have no idea), but what was a "pretty good" meal in the pre-COVID era is now disappointing. May also be that the bloom is off the rose in that falafel/shawarma places were a rarity some years back and suddenly they were everywhere, so fatigue set in.

I feel like another issue is that their customer base is expecting "Chipotle" level efficiency for foods which are not traditionally known for being 100% prepared in advance and only assembled. Instead of carving shawarma or frying falafel to order, as it would be in the SWANA (Southwest Asia/North Africa) region, it is now carved/fried in advance and left to "rot" in a steam tray in order to make the lines move faster. When it is fresh, it can approach sublime, but when it's been in a steam tray for an hour, it loses it's appeal.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more