LTH Home

Limoncello Lacroix [and other flavored sparkling waters]

Limoncello Lacroix [and other flavored sparkling waters]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - January 7th, 2022, 12:12 pm
    Post #31 - January 7th, 2022, 12:12 pm Post #31 - January 7th, 2022, 12:12 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:LaCroix, Aha, Topo Chico, Spindrift, Soleil, Waterloo, 365, etc? What are you favorite brands and flavors lately? I generally prefer sparkling sans flavor but a few times a week, I'll have a can of the flavored stuff. Just curious what other stuff people are into.

=R=

My favorites are LaCroix coconut and then lime. Also a fan of grapefruit.
  • Post #32 - January 7th, 2022, 9:01 pm
    Post #32 - January 7th, 2022, 9:01 pm Post #32 - January 7th, 2022, 9:01 pm
    Still a major fan of Lacroix:
    Key Lime
    Limoncello
    Mango
    NOT Hibiscus - they changed the formula.

Bubly:
    Pineapple
    Strawberry
    Lime is a solid stalwart. VERY solid.
    Watermelon

Aha:
    Orange grapefruit is right up there with L/C Key Lime. It's very easy to drink. When they go 4 for 10 at Jewel, we buy them out.
    Lime Watermelon Aha grew on me. Aha also used to make an Apple Ginger that was interesting. It was a damn fine option when ice cold. Odd, but once your tongue expected the ginger, it was good.

Soleil:
    Apple
    Pineapple

Spindrift has sugar, so I don't buy it. I drink too many of these things. The paltry amount of sugar they have would still add up. Not holier than thou, either. I eat a shit ton of trash, trust me. I pick my battles. Trying to get better at that.

I bought a case of Waterloo on clearance at Costco - like $3.97. The grape flavor was good and artificial tasting. Like grape (er..purple?) Kool-aid, sans sugar. I liked it a lot. No recollection of the other flavors, but I didn't race back to Costco to get another case.

A neighbor of mine who trades sparkling water notes with me bought a pkg of mixed flavors San Pellegrino. She tried one of each, then gave the rest to me. We laughed at how oddly artificial all flavors tasted. She knew I was going to throw them away. I did.

Polar:
    Orange Vanilla - Yum.

Wife 1.0 will say I like the "sweet / fruity" flavors. I'd agree, so take that FWIW.

I literally drank 1.5 Key Limes writing this. No joke.
    Last edited by seebee on January 8th, 2022, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #33 - January 7th, 2022, 11:43 pm
    Post #33 - January 7th, 2022, 11:43 pm Post #33 - January 7th, 2022, 11:43 pm
    seebee wrote:Still a major fan of Lacroix:
    Key Lime
    Limoncello
    Mango
    NOT Hibiscus - they changed the formula.

Bubly:
    Pineapple
    Strawberry
    Lime is a solid stalwart. VERY solid.
    Watermelon

Aha:
    Orange Pineapple is right up there with L/C Key Lime. It's very easy to drink. When they go 4 for 10 at Jewel, we buy them out.
    Lime Watermelon Aha grew on me. Aha also used to make an Apple Ginger that was interesting. It was a damn fine option when ice cold. Odd, but once your tongue expected the ginger, it was good.

Soleil:
    Apple
    Pineapple

Spindrift has sugar, so I don't buy it. I drink too many of these things. The paltry amount of sugar they have would still add up. Not holier than thou, either. I eat a shit ton of trash, trust me. I pick my battles. Trying to get better at that.

I bought a case of Waterloo on clearance at Costco - like $3.97. The grape flavor was good and artificial tasting. Like grape (er..purple?) Kool-aid, sans sugar. I liked it a lot. No recollection of the other flavors, but I didn't race back to Costco to get another case.

A neighbor of mine who trades sparkling water notes with me bought a pkg of mixed flavors San Pellegrino. She tried one of each, then gave the rest to me. We laughed at how oddly artificial all flavors tasted. She knew I was going to throw them away. I did.

Polar:
    Orange Vanilla - Yum.

Wife 1.0 will say I like the "sweet / fruity" flavors. I'd agree, so take that FWIW.

I literally drank 1.5 Key Limes writing this. No joke.

Damn, dude! You've done your homework. These are great notes and I really appreciate them. I guess the barrier to entry is low enough that trying something out isn't going to kill me.

I didn't know that Spindrift has sugar. Good to know. I'll avoid it too. As I probably posted upthread, I wasn't a fan of the LaCroix limoncello but I do like some of their other flavors.

I don't do sugary drinks. It's been 10+ years since I've had caffeine and I barely drink whiskey anymore. Water -- sparkling and still -- are pretty much it for me these days. So, I think a bit more exploration is in order. I appreciate the road map! :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #34 - January 8th, 2022, 10:31 am
    Post #34 - January 8th, 2022, 10:31 am Post #34 - January 8th, 2022, 10:31 am
    My family has become addicted to Celcius. I have not personally tried it, but they all love the caffeine. Available at Costco.

-Will
  • Post #35 - January 8th, 2022, 11:29 am
    Post #35 - January 8th, 2022, 11:29 am Post #35 - January 8th, 2022, 11:29 am
    We are sparkling water obsessives. No juice, no soda, very little coffee, but our whole household drinks bubbly all day. We make our own flavor with citrus extracts from Bakto. So we are picky, and we love the 365 Black Cherry and Pamplemousse LaCroix.
  • Post #36 - January 8th, 2022, 3:38 pm
    Post #36 - January 8th, 2022, 3:38 pm Post #36 - January 8th, 2022, 3:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Damn, dude! You've done your homework.
    =R=

I just don't get out much.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #37 - January 8th, 2022, 4:52 pm
    Post #37 - January 8th, 2022, 4:52 pm Post #37 - January 8th, 2022, 4:52 pm
    seebee wrote:Polar:
    Orange Vanilla - Yum.

omg Seebee! where do you find orange vanilla locally?!? i bring it back from new england whenever i can, it truly is king.
  • Post #38 - January 9th, 2022, 7:10 am
    Post #38 - January 9th, 2022, 7:10 am Post #38 - January 9th, 2022, 7:10 am
    annak wrote:where do you find orange vanilla locally?!?

Bought some at Marianos yesterday for 3.99.
  • Post #39 - January 9th, 2022, 9:46 am
    Post #39 - January 9th, 2022, 9:46 am Post #39 - January 9th, 2022, 9:46 am
    When it comes to LaCroix, I feel like those people who have an adverse reaction to cilantro: it tastes like soap, or some other cleaning product, to me. I've tried practically all the flavors and I have the same response. It's weird. For flavored fizzy, I much prefer San Pellegrino or Topo Chico. But mainly I just drink unflavored. Or Oak Park tap water which has a delightful note of rust.
  • Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 11:20 am
    Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 11:20 am Post #40 - January 10th, 2022, 11:20 am
    seebee wrote:I bought a case of Waterloo on clearance at Costco - like $3.97. The grape flavor was good and artificial tasting. Like grape (er..purple?) Kool-aid, sans sugar. I liked it a lot. No recollection of the other flavors, but I didn't race back to Costco to get another case.

My wife likes Waterloo Grape too. Seebee, you clearly like one's with stronger flavor profiles as that Grape as well as Soleil apple and pineapple are both pretty flavor-forward.

About 2 weeks ago, I had a diet coke for the first time in over ten years, and I was surprised how much I did not like it. Too sweet and also chemically tasting. I'm gonna stick with seltzers.

Honestly, I'm driven first by price. Soleil at Jewel is almost always the best deal around, and the only reason I ever go to Jewel. That said, I think Soleil is also very good. The blood orange is really good, and I like the cherry which is more subtle. Grapefruit is also good. The only one I don't like is strawberry.

I like Polar's black cherry.

No one's mentioned Karbrun, and I like them too, also, guess, cherry, but also bucky badger flavored cherry lime.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 11:27 am
    Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 11:27 am Post #41 - January 10th, 2022, 11:27 am
    Any input on the Kirkland brand? I've never taken the plunge. I know I can return it if I don't like it, but that seems like a lot of work. ;-)

As for Klarbrunn, I have a 30 pack of (15 lime / 15 lemon) from my last Wisconsin Costco trip. I recall having this before and found it drinkable.
    -Mary
  • Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 2:44 pm Post #42 - January 10th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    The GP wrote:Any input on the Kirkland brand? I've never taken the plunge. I know I can return it if I don't like it, but that seems like a lot of work. ;-)

As for Klarbrunn, I have a 30 pack of (15 lime / 15 lemon) from my last Wisconsin Costco trip. I recall having this before and found it drinkable.

I like the Kirkland brand pack. It's all citrus (lemon, lime, grapefruit). None of them have that candy-like flavor that some of the other brands do (Bubly is the biggest offender). We get a flat of it pretty much every time we go.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 2:57 pm
    Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 2:57 pm Post #43 - January 10th, 2022, 2:57 pm
    Interesting about the Costco/Kirkland stuff because citrus is the least desirable flavor category to me. We almost always have lemons, limes and oranges in the house, so if I want any of those flavors in my bubbly water, I'll just add it manually by expressing it out of the zest.

=R=
  • Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 4:30 pm
    Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 4:30 pm Post #44 - January 10th, 2022, 4:30 pm
    seebee wrote:
    annak wrote:where do you find orange vanilla locally?!?

Bought some at Marianos yesterday for 3.99.

This tip made my month! Don't usually shop at Marianos so just went and stocked up on Orange Vanilla and that is thrilling!
  • Post #45 - January 11th, 2022, 8:37 am
    Post #45 - January 11th, 2022, 8:37 am Post #45 - January 11th, 2022, 8:37 am
    Vital Information wrote:Honestly, I'm driven first by price.

I'm 100% price driven as well. This is why I've tried so many. Whatever's on sale, I usually know which flavor to buy, and then I can stock up if it's a great sale, or wait to pounce on better prices for other brands in the future, since a sale is always coming.

Jewel usually has an 'ok' sale on one of the brands each week, but Tony's will have Bubly or Lacroix (my idea of "premium" brands) at 4 for 10.00 a few times per year, which Jewel doesn't ever come close to.
  • Post #46 - January 11th, 2022, 2:20 pm
    Post #46 - January 11th, 2022, 2:20 pm Post #46 - January 11th, 2022, 2:20 pm
    seebee wrote:Spindrift has sugar, so I don't buy it. I drink too many of these things. The paltry amount of sugar they have would still add up. Not holier than thou, either. I eat a shit ton of trash, trust me. I pick my battles. Trying to get better at that.

One pedantic point of clarification: the Spindrift beverages I saw at the store do not contain added sugar. They do have few calories -- 9 calories per can -- which reflect the inclusion of the fruit puree and juice that are declared on their ingredient statement. So yes, some calories and 2g of carbs (per can) but none of that directly from added sugar.

Btw, I really like the Aha peach/honey flavor. The top note is very reminiscent of fresh peaches.

=R=
  • Post #47 - January 11th, 2022, 9:50 pm
    Post #47 - January 11th, 2022, 9:50 pm Post #47 - January 11th, 2022, 9:50 pm
    annak wrote:This tip made my month!

Stick with me, kid. I'm chock full of smartish stuff like that.
    I really don't shop at Mariano's too much myself. Those M.F. all butter chocolate chip cookies seem to always find themselves in my mitts. And if a box of those lasts more than a day near me, it's because, well, yeah, hasn't happened yet, so TBD I guess.
  • Post #48 - January 12th, 2022, 1:04 am
    Post #48 - January 12th, 2022, 1:04 am Post #48 - January 12th, 2022, 1:04 am
    annak wrote:So we are picky, and we love the 365 Black Cherry and Pamplemousse LaCroix.

I do like it but I've kind of burned out on the LaCroix pamplemousse. There was a time when it was my go-to. I tried the 365 Black Cherry today and really enjoyed it. That was new to me. I appreciate the tip. :) Thanks!

=R=
  • Post #49 - January 12th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Post #49 - January 12th, 2022, 8:35 am Post #49 - January 12th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Vital Information wrote:No one's mentioned Karbrun, and I like them too, also, guess, cherry, but also bucky badger flavored cherry lime.

Klarbrunn is the brand I always find on sale for our summers in the U.P. I normally bring a stockpile of flavors from good ol Illinois to avoid the deposit prices, but if I run out, Klarbrunn Cherry Lime, and Citrus Blend are my faves.
  • Post #50 - January 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    Post #50 - January 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm Post #50 - January 12th, 2022, 4:44 pm
    Tried the Aha Blueberry + Pomegranate today. Not a huge fan. Only 8 cans in the pack so it'll be easy enough to work them into the rotation and get rid of them. But I won't be buying them again.

=R=
  • Post #51 - January 12th, 2022, 6:16 pm
    Post #51 - January 12th, 2022, 6:16 pm Post #51 - January 12th, 2022, 6:16 pm
    The Aha blueberry/ pomegranate sparkling water was a Saturday sampler freebie at Jewel last month, and I hated it. It was all I could do to finish the can. It took me forever to find it at Jewel too.
  • Post #52 - January 27th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    Post #52 - January 27th, 2022, 4:10 pm Post #52 - January 27th, 2022, 4:10 pm
    Polar's Tart Cherry Limeade was quite medicinal tasting. The cherry note was more reminiscent of cough syrup than of tart cherries, and the lime note wasn't great either. For reference, the dark cherry note in the 365 brand is significantly more representative of the fruit it intends to emulate.

This wasn't as unpleasant as the Aha Blueberry + Pomegranate but still, I doubt I'll be buying it again.

=R=
  • Post #53 - January 28th, 2022, 5:28 pm
    Post #53 - January 28th, 2022, 5:28 pm Post #53 - January 28th, 2022, 5:28 pm
    I'd tried Lacroix passionfruit in the past and didn't remember enjoying it but we had a few cans sitting in the garage (currently a large walk-in) so gave it another try today. I liked it a lot more than I remembered. Accurate aroma, nice top note and a pleasant finish. Putting this one in the regular rotation.

=R=
  • Post #54 - February 10th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    Post #54 - February 10th, 2022, 3:00 pm Post #54 - February 10th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    Plunked down for a mixed 24-pack of the LaCroix 'Curate' Collection at Costco. 8 12-ounce cans each (the taller, thinner ones) of 3 different compound flavors: Cherry Lime (Cerise Limón), Pineapple Strawberry (Piña Fraise) and Blackberry Cucumber (Múre Pepino).

Kind a mixed bag, imo. Loved the Blackberry Cucumber. Great top notes, accurate aroma and a pleasant finish. Cherry Lime was also enjoyable. Pretty accurate aromas and nothing over the top. Less was more on this one. Really disliked the Pineapple Strawberry, which showcased all the over-the-top, fakey notes that so often make strawberry-flavored items not worth the bother.

=R=
  • Post #55 - February 26th, 2022, 8:08 pm
    Post #55 - February 26th, 2022, 8:08 pm Post #55 - February 26th, 2022, 8:08 pm
    Bubly has fried up a pineapple&coconut flavor that I'm kinda digging on. Lacroix's coconut flavor runs too artificially floral for me, so unless it's ice cold, it's a little too reminiscent of suntan lotion. This new Bubly pineapple/coconut is a bit milder on the coconut. It is absolutely BEGGING for some lime flavor tho.

Good&Gather (Target's new house brand, I think) has a blackberry/mandarin which is very highly flavored, and I dig it. It'll definitely be too highly flavored for some ppl. The mandarin notes are teetering on too strong and fake, but when it's ice cold, it's smooth.
  • Post #56 - March 9th, 2022, 12:06 am
    Post #56 - March 9th, 2022, 12:06 am Post #56 - March 9th, 2022, 12:06 am
    seebee wrote:. . . but when it's ice cold, it's smooth.

I think most of these waters are at their best when ice cold. That is to say that most I've tried tail off quite a bit once they warm up. Some pretty strange flavors pop up as they come to room temperature. These are not sippers.

Because I had them on hand, I couldn't resist the urge to conduct a comparison between 2 Blackberry Cucumber sparkling waters . . .

LaCroix & Belle Vie (Aldi) Blackberry Cucumber
    I went into this thinking that given the offbeat flavor combination and the can size, they might be pretty similar but they really weren't. Can't say either was better than the other but the LaCroix was more cucumber forward, with the blackberry showing up in the finish. The Belle Vie was blackberry forward, with the cucumber coming in the aftertaste. And that cucumber had some notes of watermelon rind, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In any case, I preferred the LaCroix but I liked the Belle Vie, too. Happily, my wife agreed to help me finish them --and we did so quickly -- so neither of us had to endure any warm-up weirdness. :lol:

=R=
  • Post #57 - March 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm
    Post #57 - March 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm Post #57 - March 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm
    Tried a few different varieties and liked Soleil’s blood orange, LaCroix Tangerine and Polar cranberry-lime. Good and Gather’s Ginger peach, pomegranate and dragon fruit and strawberry mango are good to drink in between the LaCroix citrus flavors. Frankly, none of the sparkling waters are a soda substitute and do not fend off a craving for ginger beer or a Coke, but I know they are healthier. None of these have sweeteners or sugar so they are keto friendly. I am wary of any raspberry or cherry flavors as the former reminds me of those awful Razzie (sp?) candy and the Fizzies we consumed in the early 1970’s and the latter cough syrup. Also, the price of canned waters has really gotten expensive. The Polar seltzer’s are a tad less expensive and seem to be on sale more frequently.
    Honey, people will eat anything. Hildegard the maid.
  • Post #58 - April 24th, 2022, 8:53 am
    Post #58 - April 24th, 2022, 8:53 am Post #58 - April 24th, 2022, 8:53 am
    Not sure how new it is, but Lacroix's "Cherry Blossom" is an immediate hit at this household. It's very fruity (most flavors I tend to like are very fruity,) but clean. I didn't detect any sort of medicinal cough syrup vibes from it, but, others might.

Costco has Lacroix mixed flavor cases on sale for a decent price, but the case includes Hibiscus, which I used to really enjoy. Either my tongue has changed, or they changed the formula, but I think it has a really horrible aftertaste now. Kind of a dulled down plastic and new carpet taste/smell. It is really off-putting. I used to love it.

I noticed yesterday, that my Jewel had a few scant 12 packs of Bubly priced the same as the "New Improved 8 Packs."
    The 12 packs were scarce, and only a few flavors. This has me thinking that Bubly is going to scale down to 8pks, which looks like the trend for Target stores. The shelf at my nearest Target ONLY has 8 packs in every brand.
  • Post #59 - April 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm
    Post #59 - April 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm Post #59 - April 28th, 2022, 3:05 pm
    Two new flavors: Polar Seltzer lime and Ginger mule. Very subtle but refreshing. More of a lime finish than Ginger bite. It is okay.
    Nixie sparkling water. Never heard of this brand purchased at Valli Produce. Nixie Lime and Ginger “ organically flavored” zero carb zero sugar substitute. Tastes like eucalyptus water not in a good way. Can’t taste any lime and it really is off tasting. A big pass.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #60 - May 2nd, 2022, 6:56 am
    Post #60 - May 2nd, 2022, 6:56 am Post #60 - May 2nd, 2022, 6:56 am
    La Croix "Beach Plum" - thought I wouldn't like this, but...I get a real strong hit of Hawaiian Punch in the aftertaste. Love it.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more