LTH Home

Door County recommendations

Door County recommendations
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am
    Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am Post #61 - March 21st, 2022, 10:22 am
    These posts are very old. If you are heading up to Door County, many of the restaurants have changed. Some have closed and there are some new ones. For example, the Viking in Ellison Bay has closed and will become the Blue Bear. There are many others. I think the Door County bakery has also closed. I would always check before going.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
    Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm Post #62 - March 21st, 2022, 6:47 pm
    The only sit-down meal in Door County was on Washington Island, but our summer trip around Lake Michigan had several stops.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am
    Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am Post #63 - July 13th, 2022, 12:07 am
    It's been a while since my last Al Johnson's visit, but I have to say the lingonberry iced tea in its frosted metal tankard really hits the spot, and the Swedish pancakes and meatballs are textbook. They also seem more protective of the roof-goats, giving them mid-day heat breaks.

New to us was Lure on the lake side of the road in Sister Bay. The terrace is very peaceful and attractive, the bar area modern and noisy, and then the back room dark and sedate again, so you can pick your zone. Try the giant cornbread, salt-and-pepper fish appetizers, and strip with garlic smashed red potatoes. We had a commendable young server eager to please our kids.

Across the street is the Sister Bay Bowl, which is unapologetically old school and we thought pretty strong - ice cold plated salads with rich dressings, great perch, Carson's style ribs for those that enjoy, strong brandy Old Fashioneds. Nice view.

Far north, Gills Rock Coffee (also an impressive Airbnb) had some of the best brews and bakes of the trip - scratch cinnamon rolls and oatmeal cream pies and really good breakfast sandwiches on fresh croissants. It seems to be often a one-person show on the griddle and register so get there early. Down in Sturgeon Bay, Morning Glory had a great waffle and quesadilla showing and delightful staff. Glad things are still going strong out on the peninsula.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more