LTH Home

Jewel-ry

Jewel-ry
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 53 of 82
  • Post #1561 - June 1st, 2022, 11:38 am
    Post #1561 - June 1st, 2022, 11:38 am Post #1561 - June 1st, 2022, 11:38 am
    Purple cauliflower, like many purple variants, fades toward green when cooked. Orange cauliflower holds its color. Only white is pictured in ad for this week.

Watch out for personalized prices. This week I got $4.21 each for Perdue 93% lean ground turkey in one pound package with a purported store price of $5.29. The ad has the same product in two places for $3.99. This is not the first time I have seen a personalized price higher than the advertised price. We often mix this turkey with 85% lean ground beef from HarvesTime to make burgers or meatloaf rather than use a leaner ground beef.
  • Post #1562 - June 1st, 2022, 12:45 pm
    Post #1562 - June 1st, 2022, 12:45 pm Post #1562 - June 1st, 2022, 12:45 pm
    ekreider wrote:Purple cauliflower, like many purple variants, fades toward green when cooked. Orange cauliflower holds its color. Only white is pictured in ad for this week.

Thanks! A few times when I have had colorful variants of a vegetable, then they cooked to another shade I did not anticipate.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #1563 - June 1st, 2022, 4:52 pm
    Post #1563 - June 1st, 2022, 4:52 pm Post #1563 - June 1st, 2022, 4:52 pm
    Has anybody been to Jewel yet today? Today is supposed to be the first day for the new game. I think you have to purchase at least $5 to get a game piece though. The only thing I can get excited about this week is the $.77 shredded cheese. I will probably get some of the $1.99 strawberries but starting on 6/11. there should be lots of local strawberries at the Evanston market. When I can get local strawberries, I pass on the California ones even though the local ones are more money usually. The strawberries I got last Friday, were okay, but the local ones are usually better. The California cherries I bought last week, are okay, but not great.

I did not get a personalized price on the milk this time. Milk at both of the Wilmette stores, is $3.49, but it is still only $2.99 at the Chicago Ave. Jewel.
  • Post #1564 - June 1st, 2022, 5:56 pm
    Post #1564 - June 1st, 2022, 5:56 pm Post #1564 - June 1st, 2022, 5:56 pm
    I was at Jewel this morning, in Arlington Heights, and no mention of a game so far.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #1565 - June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm
    Post #1565 - June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm Post #1565 - June 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm
    I didn't see any signs of it today either. I did use the self-checkout (less human contact), so it's possible it was elsewhere.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1566 - June 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm
    Post #1566 - June 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm Post #1566 - June 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm
    I did click on the link Jewel supplied me with in the email they sent out, and I was able to play the game online, but I did not win anything. It does seem funny that the new ad did not mention anything about the game, and there is no mention on their Facebook page. I don't think they are giving out as many large prizes. It looks like they are not giving out a million dollars. I did see something about a kitchen remodel worth $140,000. and they are giving away some trips.
  • Post #1567 - June 1st, 2022, 11:14 pm
    Post #1567 - June 1st, 2022, 11:14 pm Post #1567 - June 1st, 2022, 11:14 pm
    I guess I haven't cooked the colored cauliflower. I use it for pickling raw. Aren't purple vegetables the ones that revert to ordinary colors? Like those purple green beans?
  • Post #1568 - June 2nd, 2022, 10:41 am
    Post #1568 - June 2nd, 2022, 10:41 am Post #1568 - June 2nd, 2022, 10:41 am
    tjr wrote:I guess I haven't cooked the colored cauliflower. I use it for pickling raw. Aren't purple vegetables the ones that revert to ordinary colors? Like those purple green beans?

Or purple asparagus.

I have unexpected color changes with potatoes, too. I think the blue potatoes ended up looking a bit gray.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #1569 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:06 am
    Post #1569 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:06 am Post #1569 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:06 am
    If you saved the email that Jewel sent about the Flavor Adventure game, you click on the link in the email which takes you to the flavor adventure game. You can try the game once a day for free. There are also a ton of items at Jewel that give you another chance to play the game, if you purchase one of the items on the list. So far, I have won a recipe, and if I click on the recipe, I have more chances to win something.
  • Post #1570 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:39 am
    Post #1570 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:39 am Post #1570 - June 3rd, 2022, 5:39 am
    NFriday wrote:If you saved the email that Jewel sent about the Flavor Adventure game, you click on the link in the email which takes you to the flavor adventure game. You can try the game once a day for free. There are also a ton of items at Jewel that give you another chance to play the game, if you purchase one of the items on the list. So far, I have won a recipe, and if I click on the recipe, I have more chances to win something.

https://www.jewelosco.com/lp/games.html ... gle.com%2F
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #1571 - June 3rd, 2022, 10:09 am
    Post #1571 - June 3rd, 2022, 10:09 am Post #1571 - June 3rd, 2022, 10:09 am
    NFriday wrote:If you saved the email that Jewel sent about the Flavor Adventure game, you click on the link in the email which takes you to the flavor adventure game. You can try the game once a day for free. There are also a ton of items at Jewel that give you another chance to play the game, if you purchase one of the items on the list. So far, I have won a recipe, and if I click on the recipe, I have more chances to win something.

I had no idea -- thank you -- it was in the trash, but I rescued it -- and yes -- won a recipe and a coupon for Philly Cream Cheese. Painless play and reasonable rewards.

• Post #1572 - June 7th, 2022, 5:08 am
    Post #1572 - June 7th, 2022, 5:08 am Post #1572 - June 7th, 2022, 5:08 am
    Saturday Sampler = Bubbl'r Triple Berry Brezz'r - 12 oz can.
  • Post #1573 - June 7th, 2022, 8:29 am
    Post #1573 - June 7th, 2022, 8:29 am Post #1573 - June 7th, 2022, 8:29 am
    Dave148 wrote:Saturday Sampler = Bubbl'r Triple Berry Brezz'r - 12 oz can.

Seems like a majority of these Jewel Freebies are overpriced new energy drinks! I guess its marketing for these venders to get there name out there for a small % of the consumers come back and actually buy the products.
  • Post #1574 - June 14th, 2022, 2:08 pm
    Post #1574 - June 14th, 2022, 2:08 pm Post #1574 - June 14th, 2022, 2:08 pm
    I noticed that Jewel is going to have $.99 strawberries starting tomorrow. Limit 4. I don't know how many I will buy. With all of this hot weather we are having right now, the Evanston farmer's market should have a ton of strawberries this Saturday. Yes I know they are not going to be $1.50 a quart, which is 1 1/2 pounds, but they are going to be way better, and the farmers can use the business. Last Saturday they had tons left over. I just wish Nichols would fill up their quarts all the way.

I might stop in at Jewel this afternoon because this is the last day for the sale on the Kemp's frozen yogurt, and I don't see Edy's on sale starting tomorrow.

Has anybody seen any sweet cherries on sale anywhere? Last time I was in Jewel on Friday, they were $6.99 a pound. Maybe there is a shortage of Western cherries this year.
  • Post #1575 - June 14th, 2022, 11:27 pm
    Post #1575 - June 14th, 2022, 11:27 pm Post #1575 - June 14th, 2022, 11:27 pm
    I just played the flavor adventure game at Jewel. I had two chances to spin the dice. The first time I spun the dice, I got a specialized price for cream cheese, I then clicked it so it appears on my shopping list. Because I clicked on it even though I will never buy it at that price, I got another spin. On my third spin I got three entries into the weekly sweepstakes. Last week I won one free reward. If you get a recipe you should also click on it too, to get one more free spin.
  • Post #1576 - June 15th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Post #1576 - June 15th, 2022, 8:35 am Post #1576 - June 15th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Hi,

Buried in my digital coupons is a free tin of King Oscar Mackerel. If you do a search for 'free,' it does not pop up.

By manually going through the digital coupons, I found it under 'Canned goods and soups.'

Recently, I also received a free container of oat milk. This was highlighted as a 'free' item in my list. It is sitting in the basement refrigerator waiting.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1577 - June 15th, 2022, 9:24 am
    Post #1577 - June 15th, 2022, 9:24 am Post #1577 - June 15th, 2022, 9:24 am
    Cathy2 wrote:...
    Recently, I also received a free container of oat milk. This was highlighted as a 'free' item in my list. It is sitting in the basement refrigerator waiting.

I'm almost done with that oat milk. It was tasty!
    -Mary
  • Post #1578 - June 15th, 2022, 9:38 am
    Post #1578 - June 15th, 2022, 9:38 am Post #1578 - June 15th, 2022, 9:38 am
    Thanks, I found the free mackerel coupon by searching for "Oscar". I also have a few personalized prices, including Refreshe bottled water for $2.44, that perplexingly say "Limit 1" and "unlimited use". Does that mean I can only use 1 per checkout, so I need to ring multiples up as separate transactions?

On the inflation front, I think that same bottled water was a $1.49 or less coupon last year. Uffda!
  • Post #1579 - June 15th, 2022, 10:34 am
    Post #1579 - June 15th, 2022, 10:34 am Post #1579 - June 15th, 2022, 10:34 am
    My jewel story for this week:
    Monday, coming home from the gym, JUST when the weather emergency text hit me up, I walked into Jewel to score my 10 lbs of the $2.99 chuck roasts, and use the 1.00 off Enlightened Ice cream coupon (Enlightened is made out of voodoo. It HAS to be. I triple dog dare you to try the flavor "Caramel Double Dough," and disagree. How it has under 10 grams of net carbs per pint clearly means a witch doctor works at the factory.)

Anyway - the roasts rang up incorrectly and the coupon wasn't taken off. I had the items "checked - in basket," - I know I've scrood that up a few times, but I've learned to cross my t's while in line by now. So, over to the customer counter I went. After some quick math, i was instructed to put my card into the reader for the refund, and then BOOM. Power went out.

Lol - ONLY me. I swear.

So, people started crowding the front door to watch. The skies opened up. Dark as hell outside. And the rain was just dumping down.

BUT. Here's where it gets good:
    Some couple in line that were in the middle of their transaction had some issues. The lady started screaming about the kids at home. The gentleman followed suit, and started yelling to the cashier that they can't stay and wait, because their kids are at home. And I do mean YELLING. Then it escalated. The lady started screaming about "cars and fences flying through the air," and started very agitatedly walking around the checkout areas just screaming about nonsense (like she had watched Twister when she was FAR too young.) It went on long enough for people to start rolling their eyes, and literally just discounting her screaming, and watching the storm brew. The Jewel employees were basically looking around at each other with that, "I never went to college, so I didn't take Psych 101 much less 104, so, that lady needs to figure out some kinda resolution that doesn't involve much action on MY part, so...."

After a few more minutes, one of the older empls told them to please just leave, and tend to their kids at home. The lady then screamed at the top of her lungs, while pointing at her husband, "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Lol - ONLY me. I swear.

My refund was hosed, their connection to the credit card co was down. They tried to get me the refund several times. I told them I was in no hurry, and to just let me know whatever the best thing to do was. The absolutely stellar lady that was trying to hook me up with my refund and I just laughed about it. She asked if I could come back in on Wed am (she knows I'm there a lot, and I look at my receipts, so, I visit the desk a lot.) No biggie. I went back this am, - did all of the math for them before I got there, even, and got the refund from a diff employee that I've never seen before after explaining what happened, and being organized with the math and receipt.

On the plus side, since my coupon for the Caramel Double Dough didn't work the first time, I got to use it today. Voodoo, I tells ya.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #1580 - June 15th, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Post #1580 - June 15th, 2022, 1:41 pm Post #1580 - June 15th, 2022, 1:41 pm
    Thanks- I missed the free mackerel coupon. I never saw the oat milk coupon. I am not sure if I ever got it. If it was free I would grab it. Unfortunately I did not get a personalized price on gallons of milk. Both of the Wilmette Jewels charge $3.49 for a gallon of milk. I don't go to Mariano's nearly as often as I do Jewel. There is only one Mariano's store within five miles of me, but there are six Jewel stores. I might just wait until I can get cherries at the farmers market the end of the month.

Yesterday, I got my $1 off my produce purchase that I was supposed to get when I went to the Chicago Avenue Jewel on Friday. I did not stop at customer service and ask for my $1 back because I wanted to go home and make sure I was supposed to get it. The Chicago Avenue store does not have the best cs anyway. I was at the Kosher Jewel on Howard three weeks ago, and I normally go to the self checkout, but I decided to let a cashier ring me out instead. When I looked at my receipt, I noticed my points that I got were listed, but my total points that I had accumulated were not listed, and I did not get some of the coupons off that I was supposed to. I decided to go to customer service. There was nobody at customer service, and I waited there for at least five minutes before I finally gave up.
  • Post #1581 - June 20th, 2022, 8:05 am
    Post #1581 - June 20th, 2022, 8:05 am Post #1581 - June 20th, 2022, 8:05 am
    Pub Burgers will be on sale starting Wednesday for $.99 each using Just4You Limit 8. That works out to $1.98lb. $1.50 each otherwise.
    Mangos will be $.29 each J4U limit 10. Strawberries $.99 limit 4
  • Post #1582 - June 22nd, 2022, 4:08 pm
    Post #1582 - June 22nd, 2022, 4:08 pm Post #1582 - June 22nd, 2022, 4:08 pm
    Artie wrote:Pub Burgers will be on sale starting Wednesday for $.99 each using Just4You Limit 8. That works out to $1.98lb. $1.50 each otherwise.
    Mangos will be $.29 each J4U limit 10. Strawberries $.99 limit 4

At my Jewel (Arlington Heights, on Rand at Palatine), the Pub burgers were regularly $3 marked down to $1.50. (So $3 per pound for meat -- so a good deal). But did get the strawberries for $0.99.
    The one thing that made me a little sad for the manager was when I overheard him talking about a display of lovely shish kabobs in the meat area -- chicken, pork, beef -- glistening with marinade, clearly super fresh veggies -- and he was shaking his head and saying, "But will anyone buy them." Was sorry I don't have a grill and a crowd to feed, as I would gladly have taken some of them (ranging from $7.99 to $12.99 per pound, depending on your protein). It was a good reminder that the shoppers aren't the only ones being hard hit by the economic downturn. Anyway, hope they sell. My Jewel is far from being the only place I shop, but it is a really nice Jewel, with really nice people, and I'd like it to do well.

• Post #1583 - June 22nd, 2022, 11:00 pm
    Post #1583 - June 22nd, 2022, 11:00 pm Post #1583 - June 22nd, 2022, 11:00 pm
    Cynthia,

Pub burgers are on sale for 99 cents, though you need to clip an electronic coupon for up to 8 burgers.

Are you on the Just4U program?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1584 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:14 am
    Post #1584 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:14 am Post #1584 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:14 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Cynthia,

Pub burgers are on sale for 99 cents, though you need to clip an electronic coupon for up to 8 burgers.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Yes -- I'm on the Just4U program -- and I checked online before going, and no coupon was offered. So maybe it's localized. Or maybe I checked too early in the day. But the strawberries didn't need a coupon -- had a sign saying "99 cents). So think maybe it's my Jewel. But the week is young and perhaps I'll check again and buy a couple more. (Only got 6.)

One thing that was nice was that the butcher asked if I wanted them packed by twos and should he wrap them for the freezer. I hadn't even thought to ask, as I repack when I get home -- but it was nice getting that extra bit of service. Reminded me of years gone by.

• Post #1585 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:22 am
    Post #1585 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:22 am Post #1585 - June 23rd, 2022, 9:22 am
    Cynthia wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Cynthia,

Regards,
    Cathy2

Yes -- I'm on the Just4U program -- and I checked online before going, and no coupon was offered. So maybe it's localized. Or maybe I checked too early in the day. But the strawberries didn't need a coupon -- had a sign saying "99 cents). So think maybe it's my Jewel. But the week is young and perhaps I'll check again and buy a couple more. (Only got 6.)

One thing that was nice was that the butcher asked if I wanted them packed by twos and should he wrap them for the freezer. I hadn't even thought to ask, as I repack when I get home -- but it was nice getting that extra bit of service. Reminded me of years gone by.

The pub burger deal is in the app. You need to clip the deal and it’ll be in your list.
  • Post #1586 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:52 am
    Post #1586 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:52 am Post #1586 - June 23rd, 2022, 11:52 am
    Those sad Bubly 8 packs are 2 fitty each if you buy 5 or more during this sales week. I'm stocking up because I think the new Jewel norm will be to limit more of the loss leaders - which is fine, I completely respect what they gotta do. So, my thinking is that for the big 4th of July sale on beverages (which is ALWAYS a thing) the sparkling waters will be on sale, but it won't be so easy for me to fill the minivan.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #1587 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:26 pm
    Post #1587 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:26 pm Post #1587 - June 23rd, 2022, 4:26 pm
    Hi,

Our medications can be mailed to us or we can collect them at Jewel.

We now obtain our meds at Jewel. The Just4U feature also includes a birthday component. For my birthday, I received one bonus point and double-points for all purchases including medication co-payments until month's end.

Meanwhile, our providers keeps sending us notes to get us back on the mail order program. I compared the prices between Jewel and mail order, there was only a one or two dollar difference. However the double-your-points has far outdone itself in benefits beyond the one to two dollar difference.

It might be something to consider.

Regards,
    Cathy2

P.S. The online game is insipid. I hate it. I am almost finished collecting all the points involved. Did I not say I hate it? I just annoy myself playing it.
    Cathy2

• Post #1588 - June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm
    Post #1588 - June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm Post #1588 - June 23rd, 2022, 6:45 pm
    Perhaps it's because I use my computer and not my cell phone -- the special weekly savings info arrived in my email at 7:41 this morning. So I've not clipped the coupon and will buy a few more. But not really crushingly disappointed, as $3 per pound for beef is still pretty good these days. But I'll have to remember in the future to check online rather than waiting for the email, if it's going to be late.

• Post #1589 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:00 pm
    Post #1589 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:00 pm Post #1589 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:00 pm
    Hi- The beginning of 2022, I switched from Sams Club to Jewel for my meds. I have Wellcare now for my part D. I asked about being able to receive a 10% off coupon when I fill five meds., and I was told that Medicare does not allow me to receive the coupon. When I got my COVID booster shot last fall, I did receive a 10% off coupon though. So far this year I have only spent $12 on meds, although I have to pick up a refill that should be another $12. My other prescription I am on is free, and five others are over the counter, and so I have to pay for them myself.

I have not gotten that many chances to roll the dice for the game at Jewel. So far I have won a few coupons that I will never use. The only reason I claimed them is because I get another spin then. I have also won one free reward, and I think six chances for the weekly sweepstakes. I have not won any of the $10 towards your next shopping trip, and I have not won any free items other than the one reward. Since the farmer's market is open, I don't spend as much at Jewel, and the last time I went there I spent $2.04 on strawberries. Cherries are on sale there right now for $4.99. I got a personalized price of $2.96 on milk.

I always check my personalized deals right after they are posted on midnight. I did not receive my weekly savings email this week until this afternoon.
  • Post #1590 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:25 pm
    Post #1590 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:25 pm Post #1590 - June 23rd, 2022, 8:25 pm
    The weekly Jewel e-mail timing seems erratic. Today mine was time stamped 2:01 am and was the first one I received when I turned the computer on in late morning. Usually it comes on Wednesday, the first day of the sale, but often well into the afternoon. Some of the coupons are silly such as the milk at $2.96 a gallon when the milk I bought last weekend was 2.99 or two for 5.00. We will start on the second gallon tomorrow morning. At least this week I did not get any coupons with a personalized price higher than the price in the weekly ad. Jewel seems to have a lot of competence problems all over the organization.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more