LTH Home

I need 5 places to go in L.A. [+report]

I need 5 places to go in L.A. [+report]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • I need 5 places to go in L.A. [+report]

Post #1 - May 15th, 2006, 1:02 pm
    Post #1 - May 15th, 2006, 1:02 pm Post #1 - May 15th, 2006, 1:02 pm
    I have said before that I have never had a really great meal in LA.

It's not that I don't believe great food exists there. Obviously it must. And I've had some very good things there (dim sum, Korean, In'N'Out) and some other acclaimed things that seemed highly overrated (Mexican, chili dogs at Pink's).

But transcendence, at a place you can only have that thing in LA, and that haunts your memories afterward... I've never had that, even with guidebooks galore to help me. So I turn to you. Tell me a place, or a thing, that I must eat. Tell me the thing you dream of returning for. I am not asking for a list whose Chicago equivalent would be "Alinea, Moto, Avenues, Trotter's, Everest Room." I am asking for a list whose equivalent would be "apple fritter at Old-Fashioned Donuts, pork neck larb at Spoon, chicken mole at La Oaxaqueña, falafel at City Noor, and it doesn't really matter what at Superdawg." High end is acceptable but considering it will be us and the kids, casual joints are more useful-- and as my suggestion of Superdawg might suggest, overall atmosphere and uniqueness are prized, too, man does not vacation by food alone.

What are my five? Thanks in advance, I will not let you down.
    Last edited by Mike G on July 16th, 2006, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - May 15th, 2006, 1:16 pm
    Post #2 - May 15th, 2006, 1:16 pm Post #2 - May 15th, 2006, 1:16 pm
    Start with Langer's. Pastrami.
  • Post #3 - May 15th, 2006, 2:29 pm
    Post #3 - May 15th, 2006, 2:29 pm Post #3 - May 15th, 2006, 2:29 pm
    Start with Erik M's numerous posts and go with whatever seems most appealing...

Pann's by the airport if your arrival or departure times are around a meal. Better chicken and waffles than Roscoe's by an order of magnitude.

Damiano's Mr Pizza on Fairfax by Beverly for New York style slices and calzones. Order it well done, to get maximal crispy/chewy crust.

Check Chowhound for recent updates as to current favorites, but Ethiopian on Fairfax is usually a winner where-ever you end up.

Any neighborhoods in particular?
  • Post #4 - May 15th, 2006, 2:39 pm
    Post #4 - May 15th, 2006, 2:39 pm Post #4 - May 15th, 2006, 2:39 pm
    You must go to the original LaBrea bakery to pack a box lunch for the plane. A nice selection of quality cheeses, pastries, olives, and, oh, yeah, bread.

624 South La Brea Avenue
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    Phone (323) 939-6813
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - May 15th, 2006, 2:51 pm
    Post #5 - May 15th, 2006, 2:51 pm Post #5 - May 15th, 2006, 2:51 pm
    I lived in L.A. for six years, and here are some of my old faves. I'm now five years out, and this was before my food obsession stepped up the notch that it has in recent years, so hopefully they still live up to their former glory.

The L.A. Superdawg equivalent is Bob's 49 in Burbank. If my info is correct, it's the oldest standing Bob's Big Boy in the country, and a California historical landmark. On Saturday nights (check my info), they do classic car shows, and hordes of classic car aficionados and their highly polished wheels descend upon the sizeable parking lot and hang out all night. It's definitely an experience. It is also the location of the pre-heist diner scene in Heat (not the one with Pacino and DeNiro... that's Kate Mantilini in Beverly Hills), and the booth is marked with a little plaque that, amusingly, refers to "Al Pachino". Some of the food is good, some is really good, and some is awful. The stuff that's good is good in a greasy spoon sort of way. As long as you stick to burgers and such, you'll be in good shape. A standout, however, is the tuna melt. Though I have searched far and wide, I have found nothing that matches Bob's tuna melt. It's the perfect diner food, gingerly walking the line between greasy satisfaction and funky skeeziness. I pine for it constantly. It haunts me.

If outstanding traditional Japanese udon and soba pique your interest, it's all about Mishima... or maybe Yashima? It was one, then became the other... I can't remember which name was first. There are a few locations, but the best is near little Osaka, on the corner of Sawtelle and Beverly, I believe. It's in an odd little multistory corner mall called The Olympic Collection. Their hot bowls of noodles are divine, the tori toji and niku toji being standout faves. I also adore the tenzaru soba, and they do a ton of great rice dishes, my favorite of which is the broiled eel with egg, when available. They also do a mean tofu salad. Everything's great. Again, cheap, casual.

Though I am nervous about making Thai recommendations here, Sanamluang in North Hollywood is another mainstay. It's casual, really cheap, open super late and delicious. In particular, I'm a fan of the shimp cakes and duck salad. There's another Sanamluang on the other side of the hill in Hollywood proper, but I don't recommend it. In my experience, it was a pale shadow of the North Hollywood outpost.

Another one is Gourmet 88 and Gourmet 88 Seafood, both in Burbank. Gourmet 88 serves very crisp, clean, refined versions of a lot of Cantonese standbys. It's not exactly traditional, but it's rooted in tradition and it's extremely good. It's one of the few Chinese restaurants in the States that holds any interest for me. They do a Sweet & Pungent Shrimp that is positively awesome. If you get it, do NOT let it sit... it loses 30% of its awesomeness in the first two minutes. They also do some damn fine potstickers. Gourmet 88 Seafood focuses, predictably, more on Cantonese seafood. Unfortunately, they opened shortly before I skipped town, so I didn't get a chance to really assess them.

I'll post further if I think of anything else, but those are the few that immediately spring to mind.
    Last edited by Dmnkly on May 15th, 2006, 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
    The Arizona Republic and azcentral.com
  • Post #6 - May 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm
    Post #6 - May 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm Post #6 - May 15th, 2006, 3:11 pm
    Schwarma with salads at Falafal King followed by two donuts at Stans;

or

French toast and pie at DuPar's, LA Farmer's Market

or

Pie and Burger at Pie'n Burger - Pasadena

or

French dipped lamb sammy (w/blue cheese) at Phillipe's - Downtown

or

Any taquito that looks appealing at the surprising good but cheezy stands in the "Old LA" attraction (As dessert for Phillipe's)

or

Any donut shop at any corner

Well, that's six, splurge :)
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #7 - May 15th, 2006, 3:16 pm
    Post #7 - May 15th, 2006, 3:16 pm Post #7 - May 15th, 2006, 3:16 pm
    Oh, good god, how could I forget?!?!?!

The Gumbo Pot at the Farmer's Market.

An absolute must. Beats the pants off anything I had in two trips to New Orleans. This may have been more a reflection of the places I was taken in New Orleans, but I still think it says something. Fantastic gumbo, a dynamite cajun meatloaf po' boy, fantastic fried chicken salad... with all due respect to Jimmy Bannos, this place absolutely destroys Heaven on Seven for me.

Plus, the Farmer's Market is a great L.A. institution (even if the new surrounding mall now dwarfs it), and a visit there would dovetail nicely with Vital's DuPar's suggestion. And production assistants from the CBS studio across the parking lot are frequently trawling the place looking for studio audience volunteers, so there's a good chance you could fall into a taping of something or other, thus rounding out your L.A. experience.
    Last edited by Dmnkly on May 15th, 2006, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
  • Post #8 - May 15th, 2006, 3:27 pm
    Post #8 - May 15th, 2006, 3:27 pm Post #8 - May 15th, 2006, 3:27 pm
    Killer Shrimp offers only one item and they do better than most. Fresh, boiled, Louisiana Gulf shrimp with a nice bite is served with a choice of 3 sides: bread chunks, pasta, or rice. Enjoy the sweet potato pecan pie for dessert.

Killer Shrimp
    523 Washington Blvd
    Marina Del Ray
    310-578-2293

Johnnie's Pastrami is not the thick cut, fatty type. It's thinly shaved, extremely lean, and very moist. Be sure to order the French dipped version. If you feel your cholesterol is a bit low, they'll dip your sandwich in creamy cheddar cheese. No comparison to other LA pastrami.

Johnnie's Pastrami
    4017 Supelveda Blvd
    Culver City
    310-397-6659

Tito's Tacos is around the corner from Johnnie's Pastrami. The lines are long, the customer service is poor, and the tacos are worth the wait. Be sure to order enough, so you don't have to get back in line a second time.

Tito's Tacos
    11122 Washington Place
    Culver City
    310-391-5780

LA is a city of burgers and my favorite is Cassell's Hamburgers. Their 2/3 pound, fresh, hand pattied, cheeseburger is one of the best in town. Great potato salad and lemonade.

Cassell's Hamburgers
    3266 W. 6th
    Los Angeles
    213-387-5502

CSD
    Last edited by chicagostyledog on May 15th, 2006, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #9 - May 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm
    Post #9 - May 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm Post #9 - May 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm
    mzurer wrote:Damiano's Mr Pizza on Fairfax by Beverly for New York style slices and calzones. Order it well done, to get maximal crispy/chewy crust.

Which combination(s) do you prefer?

My personal preference is for the Cappicola and artichoke "white" (i.e., sauceless) pie.

And, half of the time I get what I ordered, and half of the time they screw it up. :evil:

Cappicola and artichoke "red" (i.e., sauced) pie from Damiano Mr. Pizza

---------------

My brother has had a calzone from Damiano Mr. Pizza every Sunday for the past seven years. :wink:

E.M.
  • Post #10 - May 15th, 2006, 3:49 pm
    Post #10 - May 15th, 2006, 3:49 pm Post #10 - May 15th, 2006, 3:49 pm
    Oooo... another one I forgot. I second the Killer Shrimp recommendation, with one adjustment.

Yes, you have your choice of three starches, but the bread is the only correct choice. They don't adjust the thickness of the broth, so it's perfect for sopping up with bread, but poorly suited for pouring over pasta or rice.

And the sweet potato pecan pie is, indeed, dynamite, and done with a dollop of really good fresh whipped cream.
    Last edited by Dmnkly on May 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
  • Post #11 - May 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
    Post #11 - May 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm Post #11 - May 15th, 2006, 3:54 pm
    Mike G wrote:What are my five? Thanks in advance, I will not let you down.

Mike,

Tommy's, the original at Rampart and Beverly only, and Langer's are absolute musts. Grand Central Market, Philippe for a French Dip (lamb w/blue cheese), Roscoe's for chicken and waffle should be under consideration.

Lucques for upscale, Sahag's Basturma for basturma sandwich, both originally recommended to me by Erik, are now LA favorites.

Andy and Lana went, at Erik's suggestion, to YongSuSan for Korean and raved, I've not been, but it's high on my LA list.

I'm sure Erik, JeffB and others will offer suggestions, but from my perspective Tommy's and Langers are must-do, with Tommy's being an absolute.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - May 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm
    Post #12 - May 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm Post #12 - May 15th, 2006, 4:03 pm
    Sanamluang would probably be my choice also if I had to pick one Thai place, and I'd try to go later when they have the funky dishes. Otherwise, the alley/parking area behind the Thai grocery across the street is the place to be for street snacks on the weekend (and possibly other days).

Sahag's may not be what it was, but is still fairly unique. Well worth the trip since you'll be in the neighborhood. As would be Jay's. But alas.

I'd like to know who among the dozens of Salvadoran storefronts makes the best pupusas, but I don't and haven't seen much on it.

Grand Central Market, I'd say is a must.

[Edited to reflect that I was writing this post as Gary was posting his above. Also to confirm that I have never spent time with Gary in LA, despite the convergence of recos.]
  • Post #13 - May 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm
    Post #13 - May 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm Post #13 - May 15th, 2006, 4:49 pm
    any packed Korean bbq joint in Rowland Heights (off Fullerton & Colima). Rowland Heights is the new K-town. It's also the new Monterey Park.
    I don't know the name, but we dig the one behind the Hanmi Bank at 18720 Colima

Then head back to Valley Blvd & San Gabriel. Look for a Xiau Mei and get some shaved ice. See if you can con them into tossing in fresh mango. I hear it's burning in LA right now.

skip Mishima/Yashima - great for the UCLA college crowd on the budget, not so great even compared to Kurumaya/Torishin/Renga-tei. food here has been going downhill for years....

instead, hit up lil tokyo for the miso broth w/ the mostest:
    Daikokuya
    327 E. 1st St.,
    Los Angeles, CA 90012
    (213) 626-1680
    http://www.japaneserestaurantinfo.com/daikokuya

for the 4th and 5th meal, park at San Gabriel Square Plaza, what we like to call "Focus Plaza" - http://goldsea.com/Parenting/Malls/sgs.html
    inside this huge strip mall contains 2 of the better Taiwanese food stalls on this side of the Pacific. It will make you never go back to Diho in Westmont again.

Of course, one can also do the impromptu banh mi comparo right on Valley Blvd between Temple City and Fremont. each sandwich will be twice as good as any junk out of Chicago.

there's Patina, Providence in addition to lucques. then there's the whole sushi thing... o boy o boy...

If you're in LA TODAY:
    TOMMY'S 60th Anniv Sepcial 60¢ burger and soda on May 15, noon-midnight
    still have 9 hrs left... :lol:
  • Post #14 - May 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm
    Post #14 - May 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm Post #14 - May 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm
    At Damiano's I go for either of the calzones as listed - ricotta with sausage or spinach, and I like the slice with just sausage. Not too adventurous., I'm afraid.

Phillipe's for lamb w/bleu seconded. Also Sahag's. Haven't been in a long while though.

-MZ
  • Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm
    Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm Post #15 - May 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm
    TonyC...

Disappointed to hear about Mishima/Yashima :-(

I haven't been there in at least three years, and not regularly in about 5-6. At the time it was always jam-packed with an older Japanese crowd. Sad to hear that it's gone downhill. Was this precipitated by an ownership change? I had assumed that an ownership change went along with the name change, but that was right around the time I left town.
    Dominic Armato
    Dining Critic
  • Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:14 pm
    Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:14 pm Post #16 - May 15th, 2006, 10:14 pm
    About the best thing I've eaten in a year are the carne asada and birria tacos at El Parian. Do me a personal favor, don't shortchange yourself and miss this place while in L.A.
    Your only downside is that when you return to Chicago, you'll never find a better carne asada taco by a long shot.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ght=parian
  • Post #17 - May 16th, 2006, 8:40 am
    Post #17 - May 16th, 2006, 8:40 am Post #17 - May 16th, 2006, 8:40 am
    hi there!
    im doing a similar quest over the memorial day weekend!

i'm so far going to :

place in glendora that has real fruit (strawberries and peaches) filled donuts

grand central market

phillipe's

stan's donuts

tito's tacos

possibly la super rica if i can get that far north

hopefully a bob's big boy

ethiopian on fairfax

and of course in and out, as often as i can...

can't wait to see your report!
  • Post #18 - May 16th, 2006, 9:47 am
    Post #18 - May 16th, 2006, 9:47 am Post #18 - May 16th, 2006, 9:47 am
    rosepetaljam wrote:hopefully a bob's big boy
    uh... WHY?
  • Post #19 - May 17th, 2006, 10:45 pm
    Post #19 - May 17th, 2006, 10:45 pm Post #19 - May 17th, 2006, 10:45 pm
    Thanks everybody. The trip is later this summer, I'll let you know which 5 I manage to get to!
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #20 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm
    Post #20 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm Post #20 - May 23rd, 2006, 12:43 pm
    i go to LA all the time and my favorite spot I have to go to is a must, you will crave it. It is called Zanku chicken on sunset blvd.I believe. It is a middle eastern chicken place that comes with rotisserie chicken, fresh pita, hummus and the most delicious garlic paste you put on your chicken or pita and make a little sammie...delicious..check it out and let me know.
    Has anyone ever been there?
    I also love John ogroats for breakfast.
  • Post #21 - May 24th, 2006, 10:11 am
    Post #21 - May 24th, 2006, 10:11 am Post #21 - May 24th, 2006, 10:11 am
    Well known place. The original is next door to Sahag's, mentioned above. Pretty good, but not destination-worthy in my experience (not that I don't go eavery time I visit LA, since it's probably the single closest restaurant to my in-laws). But I agree that Mike should drop in if he makes it to the Little Armenia/Thai Town/Los Feliz/Silverlake area (which he should).
  • Post #22 - May 24th, 2006, 10:32 am
    Post #22 - May 24th, 2006, 10:32 am Post #22 - May 24th, 2006, 10:32 am
    I love Zankou, but I would send a visitor to Sahag's Basturma first:

l-r : basturma sandwich, stuffed grape leaves, Salgam drink, and assorted pickles

basturma sandwich

The basturma sandwich and the stuffed grape leaves are not to be missed.

And, if there is room in the luggage, grab a few more skewers for me. :wink:

Sahag's Basturma
    5183 Sunset Blvd.
    Hollywood, CA

E.M.
  • Post #23 - May 26th, 2006, 4:00 pm
    Post #23 - May 26th, 2006, 4:00 pm Post #23 - May 26th, 2006, 4:00 pm
    Dmnkly wrote:TonyC...
    Disappointed to hear about Mishima/Yashima :-(

i was right around the corner from Yashima's Sunday but did not go in. instead we hiked our behinds down to Torrance and ended up @ Max's Karaoke bar w/ a case of imported Sapporo + 2 Japanese speakers.

still on that train of thought, they advised me of:

Sanuki No Sato
    18206 S. Western Ave.
    Gardena
    (310) 324-9184

possibly the most well known J. noodle house in the S. Bay.
    a link to J. Gold's write up from '99 re: both mishima + sanuki no sato.

This is a very popular izakaya joint for the surrounding Torrance area. I was too stuffed from a lb of chicken katsu earlier in the evening, otherwise...
  • Post #24 - May 29th, 2006, 4:09 pm
    Post #24 - May 29th, 2006, 4:09 pm Post #24 - May 29th, 2006, 4:09 pm
    beacon in culver city. the chef is kazuto matsuka, the chef that put the french style into asian ingredients @ pucks chinoise on main in the mid-late 80's. then he had the short lived zenzero across from the santa monica pier. then he opened buddha bar in paris. now he's back in l.a. he's the man. he pretty much singlehandedly started franconais food. @ the very least, he was doing amazing things before anyone else was with ingredients and techniques that just weren't common @ that time.

i was living in venice beach, was the chef and f&b @ the sunset marquis and having my mind blown regularly there. i would sit @ the counter and he'd just feed me until i had to stop. he'd come to my place for sunday brunch and i'd try to return the favor, although doubt i ever did. a visionary chef with my highest recommendation and a total sweetheart besides. great chef, great guy.

luques is excellent as well.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #25 - June 1st, 2006, 11:01 am
    Post #25 - June 1st, 2006, 11:01 am Post #25 - June 1st, 2006, 11:01 am
    Well, sorry for one of you that my post is post-Mem Day weekend, but man, there have been some great suggestions here. Phillippe's is a must not just for the food but for the setting/atmosphere as well...so un-"LA". Make sure you check out LA's Union Station 2 blocks down across the street...one of the truly great train stations in the country, and even better now that it is being used much more lately! Langer's is another great one...I can only imagine what would be said if it were in NY. And Cassell's is one that I have never been to but I hear real good about it...one of these days..sigh.

That being said, I'll toss out a few more. I just don't know how your time/geography lay out, SoCal is big, and the chowishness (or is it LTH-ness?) extends far and wide. Most of my suggestions are just south of "LA" in Orange County.

1. Steak Dinner at Trabuco Oaks in Trabuco Canyon (Orange Cty). DOn't wear a tie here...it's rustic casual, but the steaks are first class without the stratospheric prices. The last dinner I have in SoCal will be here...a filet with their mountain of first-class shoestring fries sitting in a dark room with a tree growing through the the roof.

2. Babyback ribs and Tulsa Potatoes at Tulsa Rib Company in Orange. Well if dinner is above, then lunch is here. BBQ purists be damned, this is these are the best ribs I have ever had, and that includes Chicago, Memphis, Kansas City and elsewhere.

3. Italian Sausage at Sabatino's - Newport Beach. This is related to the Sabatino's in Chicago...but the sausage is unique here. Unreal stuff. Great place for a Sunday brunch as well.

4. Ok, let's jump up north...I like a great steak, and "Santa Maria"-style BBQ is unique to CA. Lots of choices, and the meat can include tri-tip, sausage, steaks, beef ribs and more, but if I had one choice it would be dinner (meat of your choice and don't ignore the pork chops) at Jocko's in Nipomo (make sure you pay the extra for cooked over the oak). Hole in the wall place but the food is worth the drive. Other great places locally in the area include Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe and Hitching Port in Casmalia as well as the THursday ight Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo.

5. Got to include a chain somewhere here. Rubio's for fish tacos, In-N-Out...so many others, many unique to SoCal. IMHO, the best chain here is Ruby's, a 50's-style diner/burger joint...not fast food, but a fun place with good food. Everything I have had in many visits there from breakfast to burgers to salads to milkshakes...it's all better than it probably needs to be. I equate it somewhat to Portillo's in terms of a place that can please most everyone.

Finally, if you want a "Chicago" fix, I'd welcome you to try out and critique a couple of Chicago offerings in SoCal. There is Portillo's in Buena Park, but for local flavor, italian beef/sausage at Chicago's Best in Irvine (my pick) or Taste Chicago in Burbank and Stuffed Crust pizza at Tony's Little Italy in Placentia (my pick) or Chicago Pasta House in Moreno Valley.

All the above places are family friend;y non-pretentious places that won't break the bank...and trust me, it's way too easy to do that at a lot of places in SoCal. Happy travels and dining.

Ah heck, I keep thinking of more. If you have a donut fix, the BEST donuts in SoCal that I know of, although it has been 10 years since I've been there, were the giant creations at Blinkie's Donut Emporium in Woodland Hills. And for ice cream, there's lots of great choices...my picks are Hans' in Santa Ana (near South Coast Plaza) and, heck if you're up north for #4, hit Doc Burnstein's in Arroyo Grande.
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #26 - June 1st, 2006, 11:37 am
    Post #26 - June 1st, 2006, 11:37 am Post #26 - June 1st, 2006, 11:37 am
    RSMBob wrote:Italian Sausage at Sabatino's - Newport Beach. This is related to the Sabatino's in Chicago...but the sausage is unique here. Unreal stuff. Great place for a Sunday brunch as well.

That's very interesting! What exactly is the relationship of the two?
    JiLS
  • Post #27 - June 1st, 2006, 12:18 pm
    Post #27 - June 1st, 2006, 12:18 pm Post #27 - June 1st, 2006, 12:18 pm
    The history of Sabatino's. Enzo and Angelo are definitely not Sicilian. I thought they were from Abruzzi, but I'm not sure. I wonder when they bought the place...

http://www.sabatinosausage.com/about_family.htm
  • Post #28 - June 1st, 2006, 12:19 pm
    Post #28 - June 1st, 2006, 12:19 pm Post #28 - June 1st, 2006, 12:19 pm
    The CA restaurant is owned and run by the son of the original owners (and namesake) of the Chicago Sabatino's. More info here:
    http://www.sabatinosausage.com/about_family.htm
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #29 - June 1st, 2006, 12:38 pm
    Post #29 - June 1st, 2006, 12:38 pm Post #29 - June 1st, 2006, 12:38 pm
    jazzfood wrote:then he opened buddha bar in paris. now he's back in l.a. he's the man.

man, we loved Buddha Bar...

hasn't beacon's been open for 2 yrs now? and the initial rave reviews have all subdued to barely audible faint praises? would a plebeian receive the "industry" treatment (and food) you receive? been meaning to dine there (mainly everytime i go to La Dijonaise for brunch - scrumptious croissants)...
  • Post #30 - June 1st, 2006, 1:26 pm
    Post #30 - June 1st, 2006, 1:26 pm Post #30 - June 1st, 2006, 1:26 pm
    I have been to Beacon only once, around when it opened. I found it overpriced and undergood. I can imagine having a good meal, if one orders well, but at those prices, the whole menu should be exemplary.

My one visit to Lucques, on the other hand, puts it high on my want-to-return list.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more