LTH Home

More Indiana Info Please

More Indiana Info Please
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • More Indiana Info Please

Post #1 - July 23rd, 2006, 10:34 am
    Post #1 - July 23rd, 2006, 10:34 am Post #1 - July 23rd, 2006, 10:34 am
    On Friday, my older son will be hitting the road for Indianapolis. Since he has apparently inherited my chowish tendencies (imagine how proud this makes me), he has expressed an interest in stopping at non-chain restaurants on his drive down. I know that an excellent report was done recently on Indianapolis, but other than the report on NW Indiana, I was wondering if anyone had any other advice as to the offerings my son could find on the drive down to Indy.

Thanks much!
  • Post #2 - July 23rd, 2006, 12:12 pm
    Post #2 - July 23rd, 2006, 12:12 pm Post #2 - July 23rd, 2006, 12:12 pm
    If you go west at the SR26 exit on I-65 (In Lafayette, I think it's exit 172) for about three miles, on your right is a place called Frozen Custard. This is probably the most famous ice cream stand in the state of Indiana, and there is nothing comparable to it in the Chicago area.

If you go east on SR2 (exit 240 in Lowell) to where it ends at US231, then go right/south on 231, there's a place called Boundary Waters (Cafe? Bar? Can't remember...) on the right in a small strip mall, just after you get into the town of Demotte. It has an incredible fish fry on Fridays. To get back to I-65, take SR10 from Demotte.

Hope this helps...

Mark
  • Post #3 - July 23rd, 2006, 8:06 pm
    Post #3 - July 23rd, 2006, 8:06 pm Post #3 - July 23rd, 2006, 8:06 pm
    At Exit 201, we stopped at the Iron Skillet, a typical truck stop featuring breakfast all day.

Iron Skillet

Breakfast was nothing out of the ordinary, but was good and just off the highway for those just "passing through". My hash browns were served well done and crispy, just like I ordered them.

Iron Skillet Breakfast

Iron Skillet Biscuits & Gravy

If your son is old enough for a hit of nostalgia, there is a Stucky's at an exit approx. 15 - 20 miles south of exit 201. Unfortunately, Stucky's is no longer a destination of its own, but inside a gas station and relegated to a single display. Still, If you've got a hankerin' for a Stucky's Pecan Log or some frosted nuts, you'll find them there.

Stucky's...Now an Afterthought
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide