LTH Home

South Suburban Pizza Recommendations?

South Suburban Pizza Recommendations?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • South Suburban Pizza Recommendations?

Post #1 - March 29th, 2007, 8:05 am
    Post #1 - March 29th, 2007, 8:05 am Post #1 - March 29th, 2007, 8:05 am
    I have been getting together with an uncle for Chicago-style, thin crust, "tavern-cut" pizza for more than 15 years now, and while he is willing to come into town to join me closer to my home once in awhile, more often than not we end up much, much closer to his place in Orland Park. That's not so bad, I suppose, as we both enjoy the pizza at various Suburban South outliers, but if we continue to meet in that area I am in need of new options.

The usual suspects:

Traverso's (Orland Park; our all-time favourite)
    Beggar's Pizza (various locations)
    Fox's (Orland Park)
    Aurelio's (Homewood)
    Vito&Nick's (Chicago)

Do you have any suggestions for something new?

Bear in mind that we prefer something in the same style.

Oh, and the option to order a salad and a beer with our pizza is preferable too.

:wink:

Thank you.

E.M.
  • Post #2 - March 29th, 2007, 8:28 am
    Post #2 - March 29th, 2007, 8:28 am Post #2 - March 29th, 2007, 8:28 am
    Joe's Italian Villa in Bridgeview is thin crust at it's best. It was rated as one of the top three thin crust by the Sun-Times a couple of years ago. We absolutley love it. It's on Harlem at about 88th, in a strip mall.
  • Post #3 - March 29th, 2007, 9:36 am
    Post #3 - March 29th, 2007, 9:36 am Post #3 - March 29th, 2007, 9:36 am
    Uh oh, I am about to spill one of my family (and the southwest suburb's) best kept secret: Louisa's pizza. Legend has it that Louisa was an original chef at Uno's. Sometime in the late seventies/ early eighties she defected and founded her outpost in Midlothian. She makes my favorite Chicago style pie- buttery crust with a hint of cornmeal that is caramelized around the edges, light on the cheese, homemade stewed tomato sauce, and the best house-made Italian sausage any where. My folks- vegetarians- love the fresh spinach. Not to be missed. Skip anything else on the menu and stick to the pies. The room has a great seventies chianti bottle charm and there is always at least three generations of Louisa's family present on any given night. Louisa is now a feisty ancient Italian grandmother who doesn't seem to spend much time in the kitchen, but makes rounds in the dining room.
    It seems like you have your southside thin crust options covered, but for the best Chicago style:

Louisa's
    14025 s Cicero
    Midlothian

A quick zip on the Midlothian Turnpike (159th) will get you right there from Orland. Its fairly convenient from I-57 as well.
  • Post #4 - March 29th, 2007, 9:37 am
    Post #4 - March 29th, 2007, 9:37 am Post #4 - March 29th, 2007, 9:37 am
    I have been pretty happy with Little Joes thin crust. They are originally form 63rd and Pulaski and currently have locations in Tinley Park and New Lenox. I have been to the New Lenox location but I have heard positive things about both locations. Tinley would be closer to your Orland location.

Little Joe's Restaurant-Pizza
    7976 167th St
    Tinley Park, IL 60477
    (708) 532-2240

1300 N Cedar Rd
    New Lenox, IL 60451
    (815) 463-1099
  • Post #5 - March 29th, 2007, 10:46 am
    Post #5 - March 29th, 2007, 10:46 am Post #5 - March 29th, 2007, 10:46 am
    Hi LTH. I am a long time lurker and pretty much expected to stay that way, but I read the post about Louisa’s and had to tell my story.

A friend clued me in to Louisa’s about 15 years ago. It is about 20 minutes from my house so we don’t get it often, but it is fabulous.

About 5 years ago, my parents came in from out-of-town to visit, shortly before Christmas. I had been raving about Louisa’s pizza so we decided to order three pizzas to pick up on the way back from Midway. I called at approximately 1 pm to order the pizza, and Louisa answered but said they didn’t open until 4 and that they were only there because they were putting up Christmas decorations. I must have sounded disappointed so she told me that she would make me the pizzas anyway and I should come in through the kitchen to get them.

When I got there, Louisa was very apologetic because she had gotten distracted and had burned my pizzas and had put new ones in the oven but they would take another 15 minutes. I looked at the burned pizzas and said they looked fine to me but Louisa insisted they were overdone and she couldn’t sell them to me and I should wait for the fresh ones. She then took me into the dining room and plied me with Christmas cookies while I waited. When the new pizzas were done, I paid for them and then Louisa told me to take the burned ones also. I was too embarrassed to leave with six pizzas so I took one of the “burned” ones, my three new pizzas, and was on my way. What a feast, and what a lady!
  • Post #6 - March 29th, 2007, 3:46 pm
    Post #6 - March 29th, 2007, 3:46 pm Post #6 - March 29th, 2007, 3:46 pm
    I don't know that it is a dine in place (I suspect not), but a recent safari to Orland Park revealed a Pizza Pete's. My wife, a Dolton native and thin crust afficianado, swears by Pizza Pete's.

Here's the contact info:

14342 S La Grange Rd.
    Orland Park 60462-2504
    708-349-6660

Metromix says delivery/take out only.
  • Post #7 - March 29th, 2007, 7:18 pm
    Post #7 - March 29th, 2007, 7:18 pm Post #7 - March 29th, 2007, 7:18 pm
    Sanfrantello's in Glenwood is my south suburban standby for thin and deep dish pizza.

http://www.sanfratellos.com/index.php

Glenwood has the orginal ovens :P

127 West Main Street
    Glenwood, IL 60425
    (708) 758-5500[/b]
  • Post #8 - March 29th, 2007, 8:40 pm
    Post #8 - March 29th, 2007, 8:40 pm Post #8 - March 29th, 2007, 8:40 pm
    Here are a few suggestions of mine after living for a few years in the south suburbs:

Ed & Joe's - 173rd Pl, Tinley Park (my favorite in so. suburbs)
    Papa's - 160th & Cicero, Oak Forest (good ultra thin crust)
    Nino's - Matteson on Rt. 30 & Chgo Hts on Halsted

There's a new Vito & Nicks II that I tried last summer in Mokena on Rt. 30 that was almost as good as the original. There's also a new Fox's off Wolf Rd. in Mokena (much better than the one in Orland).

While it's not thin crust, I highly second the recommendations above for Louisa's in Crestwood on 140th and Cicero. It's a relatively thin deep dish pizza that so many people think is outstanding. I also agree with the recommendation for Sanfrantello's in Glenwood. Excellent thin crust pizza that is similar in a way to Aurelio's, only better.

There's also a Chesdan's on 157th & Bell Rd in Homer Glen (near Orland). When the original Chesdan's was on South Archer Ave. in Chicago (closed now), many in the Brighton Park neighborhood thought Chesdan's was much better than the famed Home Run Inn on 31st St.
  • Post #9 - March 29th, 2007, 9:53 pm
    Post #9 - March 29th, 2007, 9:53 pm Post #9 - March 29th, 2007, 9:53 pm
    Oh good, someone mentioned Sanfratello's. I remember we passed that on one of the south side ice cream explorations or something, and I later found some mentions online that thought it was good, but I couldn't get beyond "San-something" in my searches earlier today.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #10 - March 29th, 2007, 9:59 pm
    Post #10 - March 29th, 2007, 9:59 pm Post #10 - March 29th, 2007, 9:59 pm
    eyewall wrote:Sanfrantello's in Glenwood is my south suburban standby for thin and deep dish pizza.

I'll second Sanfratello's! Grew up on that and Aurelio's. I still make the trek back to Glenwood once a year or so and the pizza is still just as good as I thought it was when I was a kid. Excellent thin crust and great sausage.
  • Post #11 - March 29th, 2007, 10:14 pm
    Post #11 - March 29th, 2007, 10:14 pm Post #11 - March 29th, 2007, 10:14 pm
    I haven't been there since it's been at the Archer location, but I know some neighborhood locals swear by Chesdan's pizza. So much so, they'll make the trek up to Homer Glen.

Chesdan's Pizza
    15764 S. Bell Road
    Homer Glen, IL 60491

I haven't had it in over 10 years, but I remember it as being a very good thing crust pie.
  • Post #12 - March 29th, 2007, 11:34 pm
    Post #12 - March 29th, 2007, 11:34 pm Post #12 - March 29th, 2007, 11:34 pm
    We need a review of Chesdan's in HG. I used to like the one on Archer, but I'd like a little feedback before trekking to HG.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #13 - March 30th, 2007, 8:00 am
    Post #13 - March 30th, 2007, 8:00 am Post #13 - March 30th, 2007, 8:00 am
    Cogito wrote:We need a review of Chesdan's in HG.

Query: What is "HG?" It's probably obvious, but I am not aware of it for some reason.

I used to live near the original Chesdan's (named for Chester and Dan) on South Archer near the famous Polonial Grove. It was the most unique pizza with a great thin crust and a slightly sweet sauce that is so very hard to describe, but it was great. It was the only pizza place that I know of that cut the pizza in a very different way, cut straight down the middle and then in narrow "strips" from left to right. When I moved out of the area, I would still trek across the city every now and then to get my fill of their great pizza (including some for the home freezer). While Home Run Inn a few miles away on 31st street was always "the competition," Chesdan's always had their following that strongly felt Chesdan's was better (this at a time when Chesdan's restaurant was much bigger than the little "store front bar" that Home Run Inn started at).

I was very sad to learn several years ago that the famed Chesdan's on Archer closed. How could such a successful business just close like that? But time and the neighborhood changed dramatically and "nothing is forever" I guess.

Last year I heard that a Chesdan's pizza place related to the original family opened in a town that I never heard of before in the far southwest suburbs, i.e., Homer Glen, which is really right next to Orland Park. Salivating at the thought of tasting that special unique taste of a Chesdan's pizza again, my wife and I made it a point to visit friends of ours in Orland and went out for pizza at the new Homer Glen restaurant. We got the same large pizza cut into strips, but to my dissappointment, the pizza bore little resemblance to the original that we knew and loved from a by-gone era.

Gone was the soft-crisp tasty crust and the special sweet sauce that a true Chesdan's fan will never forget. Their crust, sauce and ingredients we found to be "unremarkable." Needless to say, I was so very dissappointed that I am left with no motivation to go out of my way to return there again. That may be a disservice to them as maybe it was not a good evening (Friday evening) for their pizza chef. Hopefully others can report on their state of satisfaction about the former famous pizza. Here is their link at http://www.chesdanspizza.com/ .

The following evening, however, we went to the new Vito & Nicks II pizzeria in Mokena on Rt. 30 and had a pizza that was near as good to the original Vito and Nick's on 84th and Pulaski.
    Last edited by BTB on March 30th, 2007, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #14 - March 30th, 2007, 10:27 am
    Post #14 - March 30th, 2007, 10:27 am Post #14 - March 30th, 2007, 10:27 am
    I know what you mean about the sauce, that was the thing that made their pizza different and better than the average pie. Too bad. Wonder why they changed their sauce.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #15 - March 30th, 2007, 10:58 am
    Post #15 - March 30th, 2007, 10:58 am Post #15 - March 30th, 2007, 10:58 am
    Barraco's In Evergreen and Orland

There are a few franchised locations as well, but these two are run by the original owner.
    Pizza is "super thin" crispy slices and served piping hot to the table. The dining room at the Evergreen location is cozy and remarkably upscale for a pizza place. Prices are not "upscale" however.
    They also have a small italian import store in the dedicated carry out room with Italian wines and cheeses.
    I give the Evergreen Location :D :D :D :D (Have not been to Orland yet but I hear that it's huge and huge restaurants are not normally my style.)
  • Post #16 - March 30th, 2007, 12:05 pm
    Post #16 - March 30th, 2007, 12:05 pm Post #16 - March 30th, 2007, 12:05 pm
    BTB wrote:
    Cogito wrote:We need a review of Chesdan's in HG.

Query: What is "HG?" It's probably obvious, but I am not aware of it for some reason.

Presumably Homer Glen.
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #17 - March 30th, 2007, 12:22 pm
    Post #17 - March 30th, 2007, 12:22 pm Post #17 - March 30th, 2007, 12:22 pm
    See, I knew it would be obvious! Thanks. :o
  • Post #18 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm
    Post #18 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm Post #18 - April 3rd, 2007, 10:23 pm
    My friends and I go lookin for new pizza every weekend. We came across Pizza Mia, also in Homer Glen. However they don't have a dine-in area, the stuff is really good! If you're around the area you should give them a try.
    Their location is

14209 Bell Rd
    Homer Glen, IL 60491
    (708)301-0001
  • Post #19 - April 4th, 2007, 6:52 pm
    Post #19 - April 4th, 2007, 6:52 pm Post #19 - April 4th, 2007, 6:52 pm
    This might not qualify as south suburbs, let alone part of the 'burbs, but Villa Pizza in Griffith, IN is one of my favorite Pizza places. It has been owned by the same guy (John) since about 1985 and his brother owned it before that.

It has been a few years since I was there last but the deep dish is what you want: made in a cast iron skillet with a crust crisp. The dough is yeast based and has a wonderful flavor. Most pizza, I don't eat the crust, but that’s not an issue here. Ingredients are fresh and the regular pizzas are hand tossed.

They also offer other items on the menu.

My opinion might be slightly biased as I pretty much grew up on their pizza and as a kid they would let me into the kitchen to make my own.

Villa Pizza
    333 N Broad St
    Griffith, IN
    (219)924-5450
  • Post #20 - April 4th, 2007, 8:27 pm
    Post #20 - April 4th, 2007, 8:27 pm Post #20 - April 4th, 2007, 8:27 pm
    and I'll third Sanfratello's. By far my favorite pizza on the South Side.
  • Post #21 - April 5th, 2007, 6:50 am
    Post #21 - April 5th, 2007, 6:50 am Post #21 - April 5th, 2007, 6:50 am
    I used to work just a few doors down from Pete's Pizza at La Grange and 143rd Street in Orland Park. Although it was pretty good -- the crust was crisp, but not too much so -- I'm sure the South Suburbs has something better than this. I always thought it was way too greasy, even for pizza.
    Little by little, one travels far. ~~~ J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Post #22 - April 5th, 2007, 10:12 am
    Post #22 - April 5th, 2007, 10:12 am Post #22 - April 5th, 2007, 10:12 am
    NSH wrote:Barraco's In Evergreen and Orland

There are a few franchised locations as well, but these two are run by the original owner.
    Pizza is "super thin" crispy slices and served piping hot to the table. The dining room at the Evergreen location is cozy and remarkably upscale for a pizza place. Prices are not "upscale" however.
    They also have a small italian import store in the dedicated carry out room with Italian wines and cheeses.
    I give the Evergreen Location :D :D :D :D (Have not been to Orland yet but I hear that it's huge and huge restaurants are not normally my style.)

Well, that's interesting. I've never heard of Barraco's, but if I recall correctly, isn't Barraco the last name of the owners of Vito & Nick's...and the family-feud locations of Vito & Nick's II? I wonder of these might be related as well?
    Bob in RSM, CA...yes, I know, it's a long way from Chicago
  • Post #23 - April 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm
    Post #23 - April 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm Post #23 - April 5th, 2007, 2:08 pm
    As a young pup growing up in Alsip, IL I remember my family ordering from Nino's and Fox's alot, Fox's has been mentioned already. I have not had Palermo's on 95th in quite some time, but remember it being good in this same style.

Nino's Pizza
    4835 W 111th St
    Alsip, IL 60803

Palermo's
    4849 W 95th St
    Oak Lawn, IL
  • Post #24 - April 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm
    Post #24 - April 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm Post #24 - April 7th, 2007, 1:44 pm
    I think Villa Nova pizza in Stickney is one of the absolute best, but least known, crisp thin crust pizzas in the Chicago area. I don't get a chance to go there much, but when I do, I am in pizza heaven. In one way, I don't want others to know about this "treasure," but I do, however, want them to continue to succeed (as they have for decades) and remain in business. It is a real old fashion place that reminds you of pizzerias from way back in the 50s and 60s.

Villa Nova Pizzeria
    6821 Pershing Rd
    Stickney, IL 60402
  • Post #25 - May 13th, 2007, 3:30 pm
    Post #25 - May 13th, 2007, 3:30 pm Post #25 - May 13th, 2007, 3:30 pm
    Just happened to be on the Southside yesterday and was looking for a lunch option and riding on a Streets and San guide recommendation for their meatball sandwich we stopped by.

The meatball sandwich was very good with a huge amount of green peppers and the bread was fresh and lightly toasted.

My bride had the grilled chicken sandwich which was served on a round roll and was good but nothing special.

Our friend had the hot turkey sandwich which was served on a hoagie type roll and was very similar to the bread my meatball came on. Loaded with melted cheese and very tasty.

The restaurant is a converted movie theater and retains the old Barton Theater Organ as a centerpiece. We did stop by in the afternoon and the space was very noisy even though we were seated in a little alcove along one of the outside walls. It would be a good place to stop with kids as there were many amusements.

The old theater organ was something to see. Most of the mechanical devices were on display on shelves on the walls. Xylophones, drums, cymbals, horns, bells and whistles, ... all sorts of musical instruments. We did arrive too early for the performance by the young Glenn Tallar.

Nothing better than a dinner and a show. :)

Beggar's Pizza
    3524 Ridge Rd, Lansing
    (708) 418-3500

Glenn Tallar (on the 3/14 Barton)
    Tuesday evenings 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
    Saturday evenings 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.

Call for performance times as they do change.
  • Post #26 - May 19th, 2007, 1:13 am
    Post #26 - May 19th, 2007, 1:13 am Post #26 - May 19th, 2007, 1:13 am
    KSeecs wrote:As a young pup growing up in Alsip, IL I remember my family ordering from Nino's and Fox's alot, Fox's has been mentioned already. I have not had Palermo's on 95th in quite some time, but remember it being good in this same style.

Nino's Pizza
    4835 W 111th St
    Alsip, IL 60803

Palermo's
    4849 W 95th St
    Oak Lawn, IL

Palermo's is OK, but you really have to love your cheese and a very sweet sauce. Folks in the neighborhood call it the home of the "sugar sauce."
  • Post #27 - May 19th, 2007, 1:34 am
    Post #27 - May 19th, 2007, 1:34 am Post #27 - May 19th, 2007, 1:34 am
    Speaking of Palermo's, it happens to be one of the restaurants featured on this week's Check Please rerun, along with Alla Turka and Le Lan.

Showing again on Saturday (5/19) at 4:30 pm and 11 pm and Sunday (5/20) at 5:30 pm and 11:30 pm.

This episode doesn't rank up there with the legendary Fred and Manasay episode but then, which ones do?
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #28 - August 31st, 2007, 8:09 pm
    Post #28 - August 31st, 2007, 8:09 pm Post #28 - August 31st, 2007, 8:09 pm
    Jefe wrote:Uh oh, I am about to spill one of my family (and the southwest suburb's) best kept secret: Louisa's pizza. Legend has it that Louisa was an original chef at Uno's. Sometime in the late seventies/ early eighties she defected and founded her outpost in Midlothian. She makes my favorite Chicago style pie- buttery crust with a hint of cornmeal that is caramelized around the edges, light on the cheese, homemade stewed tomato sauce, and the best house-made Italian sausage any where. My folks- vegetarians- love the fresh spinach. Not to be missed. Skip anything else on the menu and stick to the pies. The room has a great seventies chianti bottle charm and there is always at least three generations of Louisa's family present on any given night. Louisa is now a feisty ancient Italian grandmother who doesn't seem to spend much time in the kitchen, but makes rounds in the dining room.
    It seems like you have your southside thin crust options covered, but for the best Chicago style:

Louisa's
    14025 s Cicero
    Midlothian

A quick zip on the Midlothian Turnpike (159th) will get you right there from Orland. Its fairly convenient from I-57 as well.

I visited Louisa's last night for the first time and enjoyed the sausage pizza immensely. I was surprised that it wasn't as thick as I had expected but a fantastic blend overall.
  • Post #29 - February 15th, 2010, 2:33 pm
    Post #29 - February 15th, 2010, 2:33 pm Post #29 - February 15th, 2010, 2:33 pm
    Speaking about Joe's Italian Villa. They invested in part of a bar/restaurant place called 191South. It's on 191st and 5 blocks west of LaGrange road in Mokena. All of the ingredients are either from Joe's in Bridgeview or they are made to Joe's standards at the restaurant in Mokena. I, personally, am a Foxes Beverly Pub pizza fan but Joe's definitely rivals Foxes. Foxes sausage is a little spicier as far as the fennel seed content. The Mokena restaurant is also getting good reviews from local critics.
  • Post #30 - February 15th, 2010, 6:04 pm
    Post #30 - February 15th, 2010, 6:04 pm Post #30 - February 15th, 2010, 6:04 pm
    little franks :mrgreen:
    6355 w 79st
    burbank,il.
    708-598-8660
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles