LTH Home

Hey food photographers-- enter our photo contest!

Hey food photographers-- enter our photo contest!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Hey food photographers-- enter our photo contest!

Post #1 - April 30th, 2007, 6:00 pm
    Post #1 - April 30th, 2007, 6:00 pm Post #1 - April 30th, 2007, 6:00 pm

You've seen the fabulous food pics on this site, but you've hesitated putting your work out for comparison... well, hesitate no more!

Now your fabulous photos are eligible for fabulous prizes, including:

• Grand prize: framed, professional-quality-outputted version of your photo just like the ones that gave my house ltheng shui

• First prize: the ten best photos as selected by our panel of judges will be called out as such to the general acclaim and admiration of the LTHForum community

• Possible delayed-gratfication prize: we're thinking of doing an LTHForum calendar again for 2008, so the photos selected for the contest obviously rise to the top of the list for that

But Mike G, you say, how can I, who just got my digital camera a month ago and am shy about taking it out in public places, how can I compete with fearless flash-flashers like G Wiv?

The 1st LTHForum Food Photo Contest is not only looking for great photos, but especially encouraging new photographers with two categories for competition:

• Newish Poster-Photographers: this category will only be won by folks who, as of 4/30/07 when I collected the stats, had under 250 posts*

• Everybody (Except Moderators): this category is open to, well, everybody (except Moderators).

So relatively new posters and photographers have two chances to win. If you've thought about taking pictures like you see here-- or better than you see here!-- there's never been a better time to actually start snapping and posting!

* I know this is an imprecise way of determining who's likely to have posted lots of photos already, but sheesh, I'm not going through the whole board and counting how many photos everybody's put up. 250 posts seems a reasonable cutoff for hardcore versus newer/more occasional posters.

How will the winners be selected?

A special team of frequent LTHForum participants (non-moderators) has been selected-- anonymously!-- to keep an eye out for cool photos. They will make the final judgement.

But you can help!

• If you see a cool photo, go to this thread and post a link to it.

• If you take a cool photo and want to make sure the judges are aware of it, go to the same thread and post your link to enter it for consideration. Or, if you're bashful about that, PM me and I'll post it.

What are the rules of eligibility?

Pretty much up to the judges to decide. It has to be a food photo, defined liberally as a food shot, a picture of a restaurant, a picture of people eating, something clearly food related.

In terms of dates of eligibility: any photo posted between May 1, 2007 and the end of the contest on June 30, 2007 is eligible. (Earlier 2007 photos can be nominated for consideration for the calendar, but please note when they were posted.)

Any technical requirements?

Just realize that if you want to print your photos, and if you want me to be able to print your photo for the grand prize or the calendar, you need to be shooting in a high enough resolution to allow that, not just 600 pixels or something for online use. (Of course, you should still post a smaller version, as always.)
    Last edited by Mike G on July 20th, 2007, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - April 30th, 2007, 6:35 pm
    Post #2 - April 30th, 2007, 6:35 pm Post #2 - April 30th, 2007, 6:35 pm
    That's Blow-Up(under the sea), innit?
    Last edited by Christopher Gordon on May 1st, 2007, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #3 - May 1st, 2007, 7:58 am
    Post #3 - May 1st, 2007, 7:58 am Post #3 - May 1st, 2007, 7:58 am
    Yes, Blow Up it is.
  • Post #4 - May 1st, 2007, 4:02 pm
    Post #4 - May 1st, 2007, 4:02 pm Post #4 - May 1st, 2007, 4:02 pm
    I'm lost. How do I paste a picture to the site??
  • Post #5 - May 1st, 2007, 4:10 pm
    Post #5 - May 1st, 2007, 4:10 pm Post #5 - May 1st, 2007, 4:10 pm
    Start with this post (go down to #2, "How to link to an image").

This thread has info on hosting your images via Flickr, which is probably the most common single place folks use, though there are many others.
  • Post #6 - May 1st, 2007, 4:43 pm
    Post #6 - May 1st, 2007, 4:43 pm Post #6 - May 1st, 2007, 4:43 pm
    Sure, have your little photo contest right after I post a bunch of good but not eligable pics. :cry: :wink:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #7 - May 4th, 2007, 9:35 am
    Post #7 - May 4th, 2007, 9:35 am Post #7 - May 4th, 2007, 9:35 am
    Chicagoist is on board http://www.chicagoist.com/archives/2007 ... ervert.php
  • Post #8 - May 9th, 2007, 10:19 am
    Post #8 - May 9th, 2007, 10:19 am Post #8 - May 9th, 2007, 10:19 am
    do i need to do something to enter pictures that have already been posted here? or are they automatically entered just by appearing in lth forum?
  • Post #9 - May 9th, 2007, 10:27 am
    Post #9 - May 9th, 2007, 10:27 am Post #9 - May 9th, 2007, 10:27 am
    Technically, anything on LTHForum is entered by virtue of being posted here.

BUT... that doesn't mean the judges will see it and know it exists. That's why if you want to call attention to something, either your own or somebody else's, it can't hurt to post it in the nominating thread with a link back to the original thread.

The other benefit of doing so, of course, is that the judges aren't the only people who will discover something here that they might have overlooked, and follow the link to the thread.
  • Post #10 - May 9th, 2007, 11:56 am
    Post #10 - May 9th, 2007, 11:56 am Post #10 - May 9th, 2007, 11:56 am
    thanks. i somehow missed that topic.
  • Post #11 - May 26th, 2007, 4:15 pm
    Post #11 - May 26th, 2007, 4:15 pm Post #11 - May 26th, 2007, 4:15 pm
    Seared Foie Gras, Chocolate/Cassis, Blueberry, Port-Infused Figs:

Seared Foie Gras, Pineapple, Hazelnut

Pan-roasted duck breast, honey-orange-Earl Grey sauce, mixed greens:

Foie Gras Risotto:
  • Post #12 - June 13th, 2007, 12:42 pm
    Post #12 - June 13th, 2007, 12:42 pm Post #12 - June 13th, 2007, 12:42 pm

From the Gourmet Wine Cellar event...
    from the eighth blackbird benefit...
    "Yum"
    -- Everyone

www.chicagofoodies.com
  • Post #13 - June 13th, 2007, 9:00 pm
    Post #13 - June 13th, 2007, 9:00 pm Post #13 - June 13th, 2007, 9:00 pm
    I don't know if this counts as one nomination or several, but it's a terrific image:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... 733#134733

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more