[From Homepage] Home Cookin' 4: Ronnie Suburban and Steve Zaransky

[From Homepage] Home Cookin' 4: Ronnie Suburban and Steve Zaransky
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • [From Homepage] Home Cookin' 4: Ronnie Suburban and Steve Zaransky

Post #1 - April 21st, 2014, 10:21 am
    Post #1 - April 21st, 2014, 10:21 am Post #1 - April 21st, 2014, 10:21 am
    This is an excerpt of an article from the homepage. Read Full Article

By Alan Lake (Jazzfood)
    [caption id="attachment_2067" align="aligncenter" width="600"]Image Steve Zaransky, Alan Lake, and Ronnie Suburban[/caption]

Happening upon LTHForum.com was a game changer for me. After nearly two decades, I returned home to Chicago knowing the streets but not what was on them any longer. The city had changed quite a bit in my absence.

A mention of LTH in the Reader (probably by Mike Sula but I can’t remember) teased me with a cut-to-the-chase of like-minded people in all things culinary.  Every weekend for the first year I was back, my sister would show up at my apartment asking “Whattayagot? ” in an accent heard only around these parts. By that she meant, where would we be eating based on my newly gleaned knowledge from LTH discussions the preceding week?  We sampled Thai grocers and Pakistani BBQ, attended a few events, and in so doing met a lot of new people. People I never would have met left to my own devices. While I had old friends here that helped tip the scale to come back, now I have new friends too - many of which who’ve come via LTH.

[pullquote align="right"]

INTERVIEWS:

Ronnie Suburban

Steve Zaransky

[/pullquote]

In reading the forums, certain writing stood out. I found myself laughing and agreeing with some, and shaking my head and wondering with others. The first time I was able to put a face to a name was during the historic Fanny’s debacle of ’06. Having been weaned on Fanny’s, I went in with high expectations. I left feeling I’d experienced an abortion (a.k.a. the meal) without anesthetic. Misery loves company, though, and the company was excellent. That evening I met a couple of people who would become my friends. And then I met more. And more. So it’s safe to say that LTH had significant influence on me (as it has on many that are reading this).  This is but one reason many of us at LTH take this community so personally.

As if we own the damn thing.

But we don’t. Steve Zaransky, Ronnie Suburban and Dave Dickson do. So, I’d like to introduce you to two people (one I met that fateful evening, the other a short time later) that act as caretakers for LTHForum. Steve Zaransky and Ronnie Suburban. Since we’ve fressed so often together over the ensuing years, both in their homes and in the many restaurants found here on LTH, I thought they’d be naturals for this Home Cookin’ series.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #2 - April 21st, 2014, 8:26 pm
    Post #2 - April 21st, 2014, 8:26 pm Post #2 - April 21st, 2014, 8:26 pm
    Some great stories in there! Thanks, Jazzfood, for a glimpse at the roots of the guys who keep LTH alive.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #3 - April 24th, 2014, 9:08 am
    Post #3 - April 24th, 2014, 9:08 am Post #3 - April 24th, 2014, 9:08 am
    So much in those stories I can relate to - my brothers might have been comrades of Ron and Steve as growing boys, scrambling to fill their growling after-school stomachs with something they cooked themselves. My brothers might also have insisted on the surf and turf at a restaurant, (causing my mother to scold my father for indulging them,) while I, more sensibly, ordered the chef's special sirloin steak with hash browns, and salad with green goddess dressing and garlic croutons.

I can also relate to the broadening experience of things we tasted in college - in my case, France and San Francisco were the settings for new tastes. Just as with Steve and Ron, this led to more and more of a DIY approach to basics like bread when I got my own kitchen. I never have gotten that from-scratch sourdough starter right, though. Perhaps Ron can publish a tutorial. And I have yet to become a smoker expert like Steve.

Most of all, I smile, imagining Ron, Steve, and Alan as exuberant little boys.

Thank you for this.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #4 - April 29th, 2014, 1:06 pm
    Post #4 - April 29th, 2014, 1:06 pm Post #4 - April 29th, 2014, 1:06 pm
    Wonderful pieces. Thanks. (My first Chicago apartment was a roach-infested studio diagonally across the street from Romanian in the early 80s. I'm sure my many trips there did nothing to help me control the roaches.)
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more